Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raheny 5, Sun 25 Jan 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah, people cutting thaty corner annoyed me for some reason, pretty much everyone near me did that.

not really sure what the organisers can do though?
    Disqualify. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

tie a string across the corner at shin height, and set up a video camera? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

RayCun wrote: »
    tie a string across the corner at shin height, and set up a video camera? :pac:

250e from You've Been Framed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

davedanon wrote: »
    Clocked it at 4.96, btw, although I'm sure that's a Garmin error. Also there was a spot on the course where EVERYONE cut the corner by going up on the path. I had scrupulously avoided any of that hitherto, but I was tired and I was ****ed if anyone around me was getting an unfair advantage. Maybe I should be on the rant thread...

I think you've answered your own question :pac:
    I didn't cut any corners and got 5.03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

we had more than you :p

(and more than anyone except Raheny :) )

I heard that alright. There were 50-odd of us. How many did you bring?

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I think you've answered your own question :pac:
    I didn't cut any corners and got 5.03

I mea culpa myself totally. I think it was that third last corner from the finish. At that stage I was looking at the people around me and wondering how many I could take with my devastating sprint finish. When they all piled across the pavement I just followed without thinking. Just as well I wasn't at pb pace, I would have regretted my rashness.

I heard that alright. There were 50-odd of us. How many did you bring?

from the tds page

Raheny Shamrocks - 74 runners
    Brothers Pearse - 63 (at least one more)
    Crusaders - 50
    Tallaght - 49
    Clonliffe - 29
    Rathfarnham - 21
    Lucan Harriers - 20
    Blackrock - 16
    Donore Harriers - 15
    DSD - 7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

While I'm here, my son ran the 5-7 race and being honest did better than I expected. Now he is interested in joining a club; my own club doesn't cater for juveniles.

I note that Raheny have a waiting list......any club members know the deal with this? Is it a long wait to get on board?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    While I'm here, my son ran the 5-7 race and being honest did better than I expected. Now he is interested in joining a club; my own club doesn't cater for juveniles.

I note that Raheny have a waiting list......any club members know the deal with this? Is it a long wait to get on board?

Tell them you're willing to coach too, that might reduce the wait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

No clue but call one of the numbers on the site (under Training) and talk it out. Get 'em in young - great!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

christeb wrote: »
    No clue but call one of the numbers on the site (under Training) and talk it out. Get 'em in young - great!!

Cracking run yesterday Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

I see that Mick Traynor just nipped under 26mins.... M50... Impressive !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

It really might. The main reason for the waiting list is lack of coaches / helpers.

I was helping out with the kids' training last year (can't do it this term due to work commitments) and it's really good fun. The young kids mainly do games etc that are really fun and designed to develop their agility etc. They really enjoy it.

Call Colette, her number is on the website under 'Training' and get him on the waiting list, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Firstly, congrats to all who ran yesterday, some fantastic results with lots of well deserved PBs. It was so nice to meet up with so many boardsies before, after and during the race:)
    Having just recently returned to easy running after a few months of fatigue and niggles I had no great expectations for this race. In fact, if it weren't one of my favourite all-time races I probabaly would have skipped it. I'm so, so glad I decided to race it, although I felt horrible for most of it and spent the last kilometre trying not to vomit I LOVED it! I'm thrilled with the run and I definitely owe a good few seconds to all the wonderful supporters and also Helenanne for chasing me for the last mile.

Extra special thanks to all the wonderful marshalls and vounteers from Raheny, as everybody has said the organisation was seamless and this is no mean feat especially given the record field. Well done to all involved!
    eoinín wrote: »
    I've put some photos on Flickr here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/sets/72157650410150886/

more slowly uploading overnight / tomorrow.

That magic ChristieB semi-naked moment is in there for those of you who missed it!
    Super photos as always, I'm pretty sure it was you I said hi to in the finishing chute (or rather your leg as I was dry wrecthing at the time:rolleyes::o)
    Second time doing this race, but last time was a few years back, so I'd forgotten just how big a race this is. Despite the crowds, organization was top-notch and nothing was left to chance. Great to have a race with such a high caliber field as it really gives you an opportunity to run your best time, with so many strong runners to chase. Sadly, missed the tea and cake as I was in the wrong hall, watching the handing out of the domestic appliances. There were so few people at the awards ceremony, I'd imagine most of the spot-prizes went un-collected and somebody in Raheny now has a house full of toasters and kettles. :)
    Congrats on the prize, super, super run from you! it won't be long before Lizzie lee is chasing you. Did you get a toaster or a kettle?
    There was massive corner-cutting at the start, when we turned left at Manor House. This was much later on, I can't remember exactly where. Might even have been quite near the finish.

I was horrified to see people running on the footpath in the last 400M of the race (I think this is mentioned above) The congestion in the start makes a lot of runners head for the paths but at that last stage of the race runners are simply cutting corners. I was surrounded by mostly club vests and was really surprised to see so many who should have known better on the path at this stage of the race.
    HelenAnne wrote: »
    PS I was talking to a woman in a boards.ie top afterwards in the changing room -- I came in looking for my goody bag. Forgot to identify myself at the time, but 'Hi', if you're reading. Also bumped into RayCun, who ran a fantastic time yesterday and (almost literally) bumped into MarthaStew (we were neck and neck for a while in the fourth mile, but she had a much better finishing kick than me and left me for dead in the last 800m. Well run, everyone!
    But you beat me on chiptime:):):) Congrats on the sub 35 Helen, I'm so delighted for you, is that a PB? and more importantly have you popped it onto the 10 Round numbers table? 35.00 chiptime for me and even though I should be annoyed with that I'm still over the moon, it's so good to be back racing! What's next for you? I might have to join you and chase you......
    Edit; just saw you posted on the Round numbers table....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

That's not a bad idea, I'd be happy to do it, only issue being I'm a member of a different club.

That's not a bad idea, I'd be happy to do it, only issue being I'm a member of a different club.

as HelenAnne says, give Colette a shout, I'm sure something could be worked out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Just for another perspective on the corner cutting. Mrs Mule was running her first 5 miler and was towards the back of the field. They were directed up onto the footpaths from the coast road onwards. Officially sanctioned, encouraged and compulsory corner cutting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Sadly, missed the tea and cake as I was in the wrong hall, watching the handing out of the domestic appliances. There were so few people at the awards ceremony, I'd imagine most of the spot-prizes went un-collected and somebody in Raheny now has a house full of toasters and kettles. :)

Made the same mistake. Only found out today that everybody was across the road in the GAA club. Rookie mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Marthastew wrote: »
    Firstly, congrats to all who ran yesterday, some fantastic results with lots of well deserved PBs. It was so nice to meet up with so many boardsies before, after and during the race:)
    Having just recently returned to easy running after a few months of fatigue and niggles I had no great expectations for this race. In fact, if it weren't one of my favourite all-time races I probabaly would have skipped it. I'm so, so glad I decided to race it, although I felt horrible for most of it and spent the last kilometre trying not to vomit I LOVED it! I'm thrilled with the run and I definitely owe a good few seconds to all the wonderful supporters and also Helenanne for chasing me for the last mile.

Extra special thanks to all the wonderful marshalls and vounteers from Raheny, as everybody has said the organisation was seamless and this is no mean feat especially given the record field. Well done to all involved!

Super photos as always, I'm pretty sure it was you I said hi to in the finishing chute (or rather your leg as I was dry wrecthing at the time:rolleyes::o)

Congrats on the prize, super, super run from you! it won't be long before Lizzie lee is chasing you. Did you get a toaster or a kettle?

I was horrified to see people running on the footpath in the last 400M of the race (I think this is mentioned above) The congestion in the start makes a lot of runners head for the paths but at that last stage of the race runners are simply cutting corners. I was surrounded by mostly club vests and was really surprised to see so many who should have known better on the path at this stage of the race.

But you beat me on chiptime:):):) Congrats on the sub 35 Helen, I'm so delighted for you, is that a PB? and more importantly have you popped it onto the 10 Round numbers table? 35.00 chiptime for me and even though I should be annoyed with that I'm still over the moon, it's so good to be back racing! What's next for you? I might have to join you and chase you......
    Edit; just saw you posted on the Round numbers table....

It's not a PB -- I think I was 33.50 last year -- but it's about what I ran in a 5 miler during the summer and faster than I expected to be yesterday. I really think both the great support, and the amount of runners about my pace and faster pulling me along really helped.

Well done to you too! What's next for you? For me, I think it's the Garda XC as a romantic Valentine's Day treat smile.png.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

Great race as usual! I was quite nervous on the way there as the traffic was mental until I got past a school in killester where there must have been a show on or something! Got to the start line with 5 mins to spare. Didn't run a pb but enjoyed it all the same. There is always a great buzz and friendly atmosphere at this race. The biscuit and raisin yorkie in my goodie bag was the highlight for me :) Thanks Raheny Shamrocks! :D

• Advertisement

Speaking of vomit, that reminds me that there was a very large splash just after the finish line, over to the right. I only mention it because it's the first time in the few races I've done since Christmas (parkruns, Dublin masters xc, etc) that I hadn't dry-retched at the finish. That's progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭mojesius

What a great day! Lovely weather and the route was great. It was my third official run/race, only started running in September. My goal was to run consistently without stopping as I'm trying to build to 10k for carlingford and have been doing mainly 5/6k runs so far.

Chip time was 46 minutes, was hoping to do it in sub 45 but I held back a bit to conserve energy for the hill at 4th mile and wasn't sure my legs would be able to keep going. I thought the hill would be a lot worse than it was, so managed to speed up towards the finish line.

Lesson learned - i can push myself a lot more. Still, knocked 8 minutes off from Dublin simon run in October so happy about that :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Well run event, the only thing missing and its a very small thing was mile markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Dub13 wrote: »
    Well run event, the only thing missing and its a very small thing was mile markers.

:D They were there. You literally missed them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, and they all seemed to be placed correctly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Did anyone else get the paper today to see their times? I might have missed something but it looks like they didn't publish all the times; just what would fit on two pages. Or did I miss something?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

The results were all there as far as I know. The 3000 runners I think includes kids and walkers.

Great race as usual. I am a bit of a stickler for the best running line and so never cut corners over the footpaths. Too easy to trip so why risk it is my view ? I managed to keep my extra yards down to 0.01 yesterday by sticking close to the left side of the road and getting my angles correct down at the Rose Garden and on the last long road before the little finishing circuit. It does amaze me to see people taking wide corners etc and some are experienced runners.

At Sybil hill corner they had guys placed and a few cones I think , to stop cornering on the path, but I think that was the only place .

I love the finishing area, it's a real stadium area and a great bonus for new runners to experience that level of support and noise.
    Raheny have built a great product and even today I had a phone call from them asking for feedback. That just demonstrates their professionalism

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Haha really, well its amazing the things you miss when bombing along*. Would not be the first time I missed markers but a first time I missed them all.

*Bombing along in this instance refers to a speed of approximately 4:40 min/km.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

They were high up on lampposts to the left hand side of the road. One side only I think. I thought they were the best markers I'd seen in a long time, visible from a couple of hundred yards away and pretty bang on.

• Advertisement

I also completely missed all the markers.

Meanwhile...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/lance-armstrong-id-dope-again-says-disgraced-former-tour-de france-champion-10003959.html?icn=puff-9

I'd say Lance would have cut a few corners in Raheny, don't you think?

Advertisement