Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network - Starting from scratch

Options
  • 19-11-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Well nearly starting from scratch. The one thing that has been done, is the one thing that I would change - all network points are running back to the attic but can't help that now.

I've finally found a fixed wireless broadband provider in the area and it means I need to get things sorted out as the cables in the attic don't even have RJ45 connections yet and I would like to have a network set up.

Is my understanding correct - Wireless antennae is connected to the modem - which is connected to a switch, and from their all computers/routers etc are connected.

I basically want to maximize the use of wired connections, but to have wifi/wireless network available throughout the house.

Also, in terms of equipment, what do I need to initially buy. There are probably 12/14 network connections and I would prefer to future proof as far as possible. Our initial needs are small but I do hope to set up a media centre etc next.

I'm not a technophobe, and I try most things myself, but I'm getting lost in how best to set this up and would like to get it correct from the start.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Having all points going to the attic is ideal, over time get a 6u network cabinet, a 24 port patch panel and a 24 port switch (could also just crimp rj45s on cat5 but patch panel is neater, could even be added later). Get the wireless provider bring their connection to the cabinet, they will provide a router, doesn't matter if it's wireless or not. Add wireless access points to Ethernet points around the house to give full coverage, can use more than one but pick channels well away from each other.

This does not have to be done at once, to start all you need is a switch

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Thanks for the response. Had to immediately start googling the need for a patch panel so I now understand the optional element of this. Must do a check of what type of CAT5 was used and how many feeds are going back to the attic.

Any recommendations for a switch. Even 16 port options seem a little limited without going to huge expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mayo Yid wrote: »

The metal body TPLink switches are rock solid. 100% recommend.

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/TP-Link-TL-SG1024D-24-Port-Gigabit-Rackmount/product/B003UWXFM0

Were cheaper a week or two ago. Might drop again ;)

What you want is a switch like above. And a router if the ISP doesnt supply one. Get something you can shove DDWRT or Tomato on later if you feel you need the control at a later date.

Regarding wifi you may need two transmission points if its a larger house or has thick walls. These can be fitted at two of the room feeds you have in place and connected to the switch.

Probably budget a few hundred euro all together, but you'll have a killer setup when you're done!

Thank you both for the recommendations. Should have really found these myself as the limited options I had found were Irish sites.

Was looking at that last suggestion last night. I assume this is the unmanaged version of Mayo Yid's recommendation. I think an unmanaged switch may be more in line with my capabilities.

Need to go on a crimping crash course now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its all about practice. Grab a few meters of spare cat5 and the tool and a bag of RJ45 males. Oh and a simple €5 tester. Then plonk yourself down on a couch and cut and crimp, rinse repeat. Once you've done a few you'll get the hang of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mylesm

I would consider getting one of these Microtik routers I tried all sorts of Consumer routers but I got a Microtik a few months ago and they are great

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mikrotik-RouterBoard-2011UiAS-2HnD-IN/dp/B00I4QFQDI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416566910&sr=8-1&keywords=mikrotik

Way more options to config and not that hard when you get used top them

there is even a Thread on here dedicated to them

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056718566

mylesm

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

A 24 porter might be overkill?

A patch panel would be a good idea. They are not expensive but can be fiddly to terminate first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Carb wrote: »
    Thank you both for the recommendations. Should have really found these myself as the limited options I had found were Irish sites.

Was looking at that last suggestion last night. I assume this is the unmanaged version of Mayo Yid's recommendation. I think an unmanaged switch may be more in line with my capabilities.

Need to go on a crimping crash course now.

Just noticed you are talking about crimping rj45. I would strongly recommend you go the patch panel route. Then you can buy pre crimped 300mm patch cables for next to nothing.

In saying that, I don't want to put you off learning how to crimp. It is a good cheap way of making up lots of 1/2 metre cables for use with your devices.

Ps - am jealous. Would love to be able to set up a wired home network - my 70 year old house would require too much gutting/botched cable runs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

A 24 porter might be overkill?

He says he has 12 - 14 cables, the next size down from a 24 port is a 16. You never know what he might add in future, network storage, media server etc. Be a good futureproof investment to buy a 24 port gigabit.

• Advertisement

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    He says he has 12 - 14 cables, the next size down from a 24 port is a 16. You never know what he might add in future, network storage, media server etc. Be a good futureproof investment to buy a 24 port gigabit.

Futureproof is kind of what I'm chasing. I will definitely have room to spare on a 24 port, but I think I have sufficient access to get two wireless routers directly from the switch (one up stairs and one downstairs), which will save me having to use the existing network points, and I think there are two or three telephone points wired with CAT5 also, that could potentially be changed also.

Got the RJ45s, crimp tool kit etc at the weekend but didn't get time yet to have a go at it. Will research the patch panel option further also.

Thanks for all the advice.

Advertisement