Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride reunion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I'd say they'll be on the festival circuit next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Gigs announced:

05/22: Glasgow @ Barrowland
    05/23: Manchester @ Albert Hall
    05/24: London @ Roundhouse
    05/26: Amsterdam @ Paradiso
    05/27: Paris @ Olympia
    05/29: Barcelona @ Primavera Festival
    06/02: Toronto @ DanForth Music Hall
    06/04: New York @ Terminal 5
    06/07: London @ Field Day

I for one will be angling to get tickets for the London show. Will be awesome! And Mark Gardner said in the NME that they haven't ruled out doing a new album. Awesome!

Yes, glad that Andy is out of the Oasis / Beady Eye timewarp now. He deserves to front his own band and get the respect back. Ride were never hugely respected in their day but they are now, so that's good to see (could say the same for Slowdive but x10).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

A Ride/Swervedriver tour. Would like to see Ride for sure...

They should be a shoe in for the EP I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭mosstin

Think I might go to the Manchester show out of curiosity if nothing else. Loved them as they came out just when I was developing a love for the whole MBV/Sonic Youth type of music. Still think their legacy has been romanticised a bit too much though. Thought their best work by far was in their initial EPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I could see this coming so it was really no surprise. A show over here sometime next year would be great.

Their early EPs (Play, Ride and Fall), their debut album Nowhere and Today Forever EP are their best work. Going Blank Again is hit or miss, but then again it has Twisterella which is fantastic song.

• Advertisement

I loved Carnival of Light when it came out; still like most of it though I understand why others don't like it. I'd love it if they played Birdman or 1000 Miles. Tarantula I didn't like, though Walk On Water and one or two others were good.

I've had Nowhere on repeat the last few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Their early EPs (Play, Ride and Fall), their debut album Nowhere and Today Forever EP are their best work. Going Blank Again is hit or miss, but then again it has Twisterella which is fantastic song.

Yes yes yes I agree with every word of this.

I cannot wait for this. Have to decide which gig to go to. Might go to all of them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

This plus EPs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I loved Carnival of Light when it came out; still like most of it though I understand why others don't like it. I'd love it if they played Birdman or 1000 Miles. Tarantula I didn't like, though Walk On Water and one or two others were good.

CoL is OK, it's very derivative though. Tarantula is terrible, they'd already announced their split when it came out and it was deleted after a week, so they clearly didn't care at that stage.

Forget their later career though, this is why they're remembered so fondly:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I'm going to try for tickets for the London Roundhouse.

JAMC next week, Slowdive pre-Xmas, now Ride. Too much post-rave comedown fun!

Just need Moose, Chapterhouse and Lush for the full set now!

• Advertisement

Would love to see Slowdive but can't manage two London trips. So Ride it is. First time I saw them was in 1994 in the Tivoli - I was actually queuing to buy tickets for Oasis, who were also playing the Tivoli. I didn't know Ride were playing but saw a poster for them in HMV and I quickly changed my mind. At that point I was a far bigger Ride fan than Oasis. And it was a killer gig.

COL has a lot to offer - pretty much everything from track 1 to Birdman is excellent. And at the time they were actually praised for changing their sound. They still had the Byrds-y jangle but the noise was gone. I liked it, I thought it was a great step up. There's a b-side from that time called At The End Of The Universe which is fantastic too. I loved all the hammond organs, as played by Jon Lord from Deep Purple!

Tarantuala - well the single was good, Black Nite Crash. I also liked Dead Man, Walk On Water, and a b-side called Slave. The rest of it is pretty nasty however. Deep Inside My Pocket has to be the nadir.

Still though, if they do a new record they'll most likely do it in the style of Nowhere / GBA.

Still though, if they do a new record they'll most likely do it in the style of Nowhere / GBA.

Since GBA, Andy Bell has done CoL, Tarantula, 2 Hurricane #1 records, several Oasis albums and 2 Beady Eye albums. That's a lot of retro rock, going back to a noise-rock/shoegazing style may not be the easiest.

Can't comment on Mark Gardener's post-Ride stuff as I haven't heard it, but AFAIK he's released very little in the last 20 years.

Yeah but all that was a reaction against Ride, to differentiate it. Hurricane was basically him trying to be Oasis, and he was hardly going to be bringing in shoegaze songs to Oasis sessions now was he? :)

From reading and hearing recent interviews, they are very aware of what the Ride legacy is now - the first two albums and the EPs. That's what they'll be playing at the gigs. If Ride were to move on, it would have to be in this direction. MBV did it - no reason why Ride can't. If Slowdive make a new album, its hardly going to sound like Pygmalion - or Mojave 3 for that matter. It'll be the "classic" sound.

Shoegaze can now exist rather respectfully, unlike 20 years ago when it was a dirty word. They know they'd get more respect making a shoegaze album than a 60s album.

Just got tickets for the Roundhouse! Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭roll

i'm quite surprised by the reaction to slowdive and ride re-forming... i think maybe they suffered at the hands of the 'all conquering' britpop fans at the time (oh the irony!). After seeing slowdive you probably would expect any new material to have a bit more of an edge but I wouldn't care less either way as long as they did release something! one point tho - the years haven't been good to mark gardener!

roll wrote: »
    the years haven't been good to mark gardener!

I know, pretty shocking to see him now if you hadn't seen him since the heyday - I had seen a few pics from 2005 I think so I knew he was losing his hair. But he's certainly lost that pin up look alright! :-)

I'd say Slowdive would sound even better now - their albums never sounded particularly great. They could have a more chunky sound but with all the reverb and vocals going on around it, would sound great.

Same goes for Ride - Nowhere is a bit mad sounding in places, production-wise. They couldn't make an album that sounds like that now. Albums from that era have a particular sound alright. I'd say any new Ride stuff would probably be a mix of the MBV album and some really bright 12 string guitar stuff.

Who knows though. Their sound was pretty groundbreaking at the time. They could break even newer ground.

I know, pretty shocking to see him now if you hadn't seen him since the heyday - I had seen a few pics from 2005 I think so I knew he was losing his hair. But he's certainly lost that pin up look alright! :-)

I'd say Slowdive would sound even better now - their albums never sounded particularly great. They could have a more chunky sound but with all the reverb and vocals going on around it, would sound great.

Same goes for Ride - Nowhere is a bit mad sounding in places, production-wise. They couldn't make an album that sounds like that now. Albums from that era have a particular sound alright. I'd say any new Ride stuff would probably be a mix of the MBV album and some really bright 12 string guitar stuff.

Who knows though. Their sound was pretty groundbreaking at the time. They could break even newer ground.

I don't think it was remotely groundbreaking. It ploughed a similar furrow to many other bands of that era and it followed on from a template set by groundbreaking bands. Ride, by themselves, were, for a brief period, wonderful and refreshing but they never reinvented the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Alonso77

mosstin wrote: »
    I don't think it was remotely groundbreaking. It ploughed a similar furrow to many other bands of that era and it followed on from a template set by groundbreaking bands. Ride, by themselves, were, for a brief period, wonderful and refreshing but they never reinvented the wheel.

Quite the opposite in my opinion, there were a deluge of bands at the time who were pale imitations of mbv and ride. Ride had a very different sound of their own compared to a lot of their contemporaries

Alonso77 wrote: »
    Quite the opposite in my opinion, there were a deluge of bands at the time who were pale imitations of mbv and ride. Ride had a very different sound of their own compared to a lot of their contemporaries

A different sound within a scene that was nowhere near groundbreaking. MBV were goundbreaking. Ride weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Alonso77

mosstin wrote: »
    A different sound within a scene that was nowhere near groundbreaking. MBV were goundbreaking. Ride weren't.
    You do concede their sound was different to a lot of the shoegazers of the time, that's what I was taking issue with, as for groundbreaking it doesn't bother me whether they were considered that or not. Having said that, what bands pre ride do you feel had that template (i.e. the album nowhere 1990) already down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Ride were kind of distinct within the shoegaze scene for having such a strong Byrds influence, but I wouldn't call them groundbreaking as such. They were just really, really good.

Got tickets for Glasgow.
    the years haven't been good to mark gardener!

No they haven't, Andy Bell is still rather tasty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'd managed to wipe Hurricane no. 1 from my memory until this thread :(
    Never really got into Ride, a bit before my time. I do remember liking Birdman though.
    Will go to a dublin gig if it happens. the reunion i'm hoping for is Boo Radleys.
    Oh to hear Lazarus again in all it's glory!

sweetie wrote: »
    I'd managed to wipe Hurricane no. 1 from my memory until this thread :(
    Never really got into Ride, a bit before my time. I do remember liking Birdman though.
    Will go to a dublin gig if it happens. the reunion i'm hoping for is Boo Radleys.
    Oh to hear Lazarus again in all it's glory!

Martin Carr has a new solo album out entitled 'The Breaks'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

Ah brilliant! I was only thinking about them the other day and how it was a shame such immensely talented musicians just kinda... faded away.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    You do concede their sound was different to a lot of the shoegazers of the time, that's what I was taking issue with, as for groundbreaking it doesn't bother me whether they were considered that or not. Having said that, what bands pre ride do you feel had that template (i.e. the album nowhere 1990) already down?

But if you look back at that whole pathetic 'scene' (MM referred to it as 'The Scene That Celebrates Itself' I think), Ride were rather lazily thrown in there in the same way bands who weren't remotely Britpop were later thrown under that same label. Ride were a very derivative band which was no bad thing, for a while at least.
    Template? House of Love, MBV, Sonic Youth. Not sure I'd refer to it as a template though, just a sound they were clearly heavily influenced by.

Groundbreaking in that they took a sound, that granted other bands were doing, but bolted it to strong melodies and took it to the charts. First Creation band to break the top 75, and Leave It All Behind went to number 9 in the charts. Think about that now! A 9 minute maelstrom of noise going top 10.

Groundbreaking in that they ... broke new ground. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

They were derivative for sure. Back in 1991/2 I was only 13/14 and didn't have a clue about what The Small Faces/Byrds/post Rubber Soul Beatles/Velvet Underground sounded like, and now that I do, hell yeh, Ride owe them a lot.
    But Ride still also gave their own distinctive flavour to the (fantastic) sounds that inspired them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I missed out on Roundhouse tickets. All gone in the first fuzz of an effects pedal this morning.

Gah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

All bands are derivative in some aspect. Unless you take four individuals, lock them in isolation for all their lives with no exposure to music, hand them musical instruments in their late teens and expect them to be able to play something.

Yes you can easily pick out Ride's influences, but they were still one of the best indie bands of the early 90's. Ok they weren't as influential as My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive but Nowhere is still regarded as a shoegaze cornerstone.

• Advertisement

All bands are derivative in some aspect. Unless you take four individuals, lock them in isolation for all their lives with no exposure to music, hand them musical instruments in their late teens and expect them to be able to play something.

that's how the Shaggs album came about. something of a acquired taste...

Advertisement