Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

L drivers national road N8 and N20 and E30

• 19-11-2014 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello somebody know L Drivers can use N8, N20 and E30 road? my friends want go to Waterfoord but this is drive by N25 and E30 he can use this road on L Drivers?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I thought Learner drivers could use any roads, except motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rafapietrzyk

I thought Learner drivers could use any roads, except motorways.

If i know Motorway is name on M is it? National Road is N and what that mean on R? and E?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

If it's not M it's fine. If you could tell us from where he's travelling to Waterford it might help.

The E30 is a European route designation, it may or may not be a motorway (and really doesn't have much use within Ireland).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

R roads, E roads, and N roads are all ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If i know Motorway is name on M is it? National Road is N and what that mean on R? and E?

Roads in the Republic are classified as either motorways (shown by the letter M followed by a route number, e.g. M7), National roads (shown by the letter N followed by a route number, e.g. N25), Regional roads (shown by the letter R followed by a route number, e.g. R611) and Local roads (shown by the letter L followed by a route number, e.g. L4202). There are two types of National roads: National Primary routes and National Secondary routes.

Roads beginning with the letter 'E' are Euro Routes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_E-road_network

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    If it's not M it's fine. If you could tell us from where he's travelling to Waterford it might help.

The E30 is a European route designation, it may or may not be a motorway (and really doesn't have much use within Ireland).

He say me he go to Waterford by N25 and E30 and he is not sure can use E30 road

Yes he can.

E30 is the N25 from Cork to Rosslare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

He's ok, the Irish section of the E30 (Cork to Russia to Sth Korea) road is not a motorway. I'm sure the full licence holder (at least 2 years licence) who will be accompanying and supervising him will be able to guide him. ;)

Yes he can.

E30 is the N25 from Cork to Rosslare.

Ok thank you and how is about Cork from Clonmel? i know is road as well N25 and R671

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Ok thank you and how is about Cork from Clonmel? i know is road as well N25 and R671
    the ONLY road you can not use as a learner is a motorway which begins with "M" , i.e. M1/M2 etc.
    Everything else is ok like R and N and unnumbered small roads.

N25 and R671 do not begin with M.

• Advertisement

the ONLY road you cannot use as a learner is a motorway which begins with "M" , i.e. M1/M2 etc.

N25 and R671 do not begin with M.

Ok i know i have full from Poland but i only asking for him because i am not sure about irish road in name. Thank you.

Ok i know i have full from Poland but i only asking for him because i am not sure about irish road in name. Thank you.
    He will of course will have a qualified driver with him won't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Don't start. A simple question was asked. Don't turn it into a high horse parade.

Normally this is M8 from Cork to Cahir and N24 to Clonmel.

As a learner it's the old N8 (which has a different number now which I don't know offhand) to Cahir and N24 to Clonmel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

he says he has a "full", so presume thats a full licence

Strange that he couldnt just drive the car, but on the other hand, foreign licence holders arent supposed to be driving irish reg cars so that could explain that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

R roads, E roads, and N roads are all ok.

Not all E roads. Up until now I didn't even know 'E' roads was a thing.. first time I've ever heard it being used.

1280px-M8_cropped_wiki_route_confirmationBE.JPG

Worrisome if someone can't figure out what roads they can use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Strange that he couldnt just drive the car, but on the other hand, foreign licence holders arent supposed to be driving irish reg cars so that could explain that
    There's no special restriction of EU licence holders driving Irish reg cars, it's on Irish residents driving foreign reg cars.

OP was asking for a friend who doesn't.
    Also if foreign license holders are not supposed to be driving Irish reg cars it will come as something of a shock to the car hire companies.

Heheh say me how many % people with L plates have Qualifield driver in car he Drive 4 years on the L places Garda check him 2-3 times and he still drive never problem only say he cant drive self that all, and He always say he drive to work. True is Garda dont check much that if you see on the road 90% people drive self without any qualifield driver in passager seat.

lets this is not for me! i dont drive here only asking about my friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Heheh say me how many % people with L plates have Qualifield driver in car he Drive 4 years on the L places Garda check him 2-3 times and he still drive never problem only say he cant drive self that all, and He always say he drive to work. True is Garda dont check much that if you see on the road 90% people drive self without any qualifield driver in passager seat.

lets this is not for me! i dont drive here only asking about my friend!

Fix penalties have recently been introduced. Expect them to be handed out with increasing frequency.

• Advertisement
Advertisement