Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread didn't rise - 1st timer

• 19-11-2014 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭

I tried making actual proper yeast bread the other day for the first time. I followed the recipe exactly (it was on the back of the packet of flour). It never rose, not even before it went in oven when it was meant to rise, then be flattened down, then left to prove, it never rose at any point.

The only issue I can think of is that I don't have a stand-alone mixer with dough hooks so used a hand mixer with dough hooks instead, could I have over-mixed it maybe? Is kneading an alternative to this method?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Delphinium

I think the yeast may have not worked. It is a living organism so can go off. To test put some in warm water with a little sugar. You should see some bubbles within a half hour. Otherwise everything was too cold so it would not activate or the liquid used was too hot thereby killing the yeast. No need for mixers, they just take the effort out of making bread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

A hand mixer with dough hooks isn't ideal and I think you'd have been better off hand kneading it.
    You should give the Everyday Bread recipe in the Cooking Club a try, it's very easy to follow and turns out really well. My hubby made it as a first effort at baking bread and it turned out perfect.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057309959

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭jeanrose770

Sounds like the yeast didn't activate the rise properly! Try again with some different. I have also made sour dough bread before with a mashed potato recipe! So cool!
    I believe there are recipes that are yeast free as well??? Maybe google that!

Advertisement