Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Tripping RCD

Options
  • 19-11-2014 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

My Laptop keeps tripping the RCD in my house,i've tried it in different plugs around the house and it still happens, some times its instant and other times it would trip 5 or 6 minutes after plugging the laptop in. i've replaced the transformer but not the power cable with the plug but the problem is still happening, when i brought the old transformer to the pc repair place they said it was completely broken, no power coming through it at all . The funny thing is that i plugged the laptop in another house and it was fine no problem at all.

so do ye think its the laptop that is at fault or is it the actual RCD itself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

If it was the RCD it would trip without the laptop plugged in. If its only happening when your laptop is plugged in I'd be 99% sure it's something to do with that. I'd safely say its the charger that's causing it. Can you borrow a charger and try that. When your laptop is plugged in all your doing is charging the batteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

sounds like the charger alright - although funny that it still happens with the new one.
    Also funny that it doesnt happen in your neighbour's house. (that could be due to a higher rated rcd being able to put up with the fault in your laptop charger?)

Does it happen when the charger is plugged into the wall and not into the laptop?
    If not it might be something to do with the actual laptop.
    Although Id say it would be odd that a fault on the DC side of the charger would cause a problem back on the AC side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tailendcharlie

Cheers for the replys

I'll try just plugging the charger into the wall and see what happens.

Could it be the actual power cable with the plug on it that has a fault in it? as the transformer part is new i doubt its that.

would it be worth taking the battery out of the laptop and see what happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

Yep - the power cable might make most sense at this stage - could be something degraded in the insulation or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Plug the charger into the wall with no laptop connected and observe (does it trip or not?)

You have an earth leakage issue with the laptop or charging unit

The fact it worked in another house doesn't really tell you anything as the distribution boards may be different in both premises i.e MCB vs fuse or RCD/ELCB sensitivity etc.. If the other house you mention has not got a trip switch set-up then that fault will run unnoticed. I would say your RCD is fine as all other equipment appears fine and not tripping.

• Advertisement

Just to add...RCD can be tested before been replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Par1 wrote: »
    Plug the charger into the wall with no laptop connected and observe (does it trip or not?)

You have an earth leakage issue with the laptop or charging unit

The fact it worked in another house doesn't really tell you anything as the distribution boards may be different in both premises i.e MCB vs fuse or RCD/ELCB sensitivity etc.. If the other house you mention has not got a trip switch set-up then that fault will run unnoticed. I would say your RCD is fine as all other equipment appears fine and not tripping.

Earth leakage would seem unusual with a laptop charger if it is a 2 pin lead connection into the charger.

Laptop itself being 19v DC would also seem unlikely to have an earth fault causing RCD trip. The switching mode power supply might upset the odd RCD possibly, and if so, would be more likely to do so while loaded I.e. with laptop connected to charger.

Never seen it happen myself though.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Earth leakage would seem unusual with a laptop charger if it is a 2 pin lead connection into the charger.

Laptop itself being 19v DC would also seem unlikely to have an earth fault causing RCD trip. The switching mode power supply might upset the odd RCD possibly, and if so, would be more likely to do so while loaded I.e. with laptop connected to charger.

Never seen it happen myself though.

My apologies i did not see where OP stated lead was 2 pin so i assumed its standard 3 pin.

I was suggesting to try lead unloaded to eliminate short on lead

My apologies i did not see where OP stated lead was 2 pin so i assumed its standard 3 pin.

I was suggesting to try lead unloaded to eliminate short on lead

I don't think op mentioned anything about 2 or 3 pin. I think laptop chargers are supplied with 2 core leads and 2 pole connector into charger, with 3 pin plug supplying the lead. I could be wrong though.

I don't think op mentioned anything about 2 or 3 pin. I think laptop chargers are supplied with 2 core leads and 2 pole connector into charger, with 3 pin plug supplying the lead. I could be wrong though.

My laptop has a 3 pin kettle style lead and does contain an earth to powersupply, i appreciate the laptop does not require an earth (secondary) as its low voltage. I was thinking neutral and earth on primary side of power supply could be an issue

• Advertisement

My laptop has a 3 pin kettle style lead and does contain an earth to powersupply
    Interesting. I guess some must have so. I dont think my ones do anyway.
    I was thinking neutral and earth on primary side of power supply could be an issue

Possibly, although the lead wouldn't certainly need any loading itself to trip the RCD then, it would only need to be plugged into a socket circuit with a load on it.

Lead is a 3 pin for who ever asked. I think i might have solved it for now or at least have a fix for the moment. I was thinking it has to be something wrong with the house otherwise it would have tripped the switch at the other house i tried it in. First tried the laptop without the battery in it, and it tripped after 30 mins, then i tried just then i tried the full power lead on its own, nothing happened, then i went around and unplugged anything that wasn't in use and switched off all the empty sockets, and i plugged in the laptop with the battery in but i put a book under it so that it would be well ventilated as my laptop has a habit of overheating easily, and all of that seemed to work the switch hasn't gone since. i don't know which bit did the trick but it seem to be working.

Lead is a 3 pin for who ever asked. I think i might have solved it for now or at least have a fix for the moment. I was thinking it has to be something wrong with the house otherwise it would have tripped the switch at the other house i tried it in. First tried the laptop without the battery in it, and it tripped after 30 mins, then i tried just then i tried the full power lead on its own, nothing happened, then i went around and unplugged anything that wasn't in use and switched off all the empty sockets, and i plugged in the laptop with the battery in but i put a book under it so that it would be well ventilated as my laptop has a habit of overheating easily, and all of that seemed to work the switch hasn't gone since. i don't know which bit did the trick but it seem to be working.

Well done...it could well be another fault triggering RCD as you said and is coincidental

Lead is a 3 pin for who ever asked
    3 pin connector into the actual charger unit itself? 3 pin plug wouldn't certainly mean a 3 core lead. I was more curious than anything.
    . I think i might have solved it for now or at least have a fix for the moment. I was thinking it has to be something wrong with the house otherwise it would have tripped the switch at the other house i tried it in
    Different houses can have different effects. Might be cumulative leakage of different items in your house. That can then have an item trip in your house. But not a neighbours. Lots of variables that differ from house to house. Could be a faulty RCD for example. But not certainly.

3 pin connector into the actual charger unit itself? 3 pin plug wouldn't certainly mean a 3 core lead. I was more curious than anything.

Different houses can have different effects. Might be cumulative leakage of different items in your house. That can then have an item trip in your house. But not a neighbours. Lots of variables that differ from house to house. Could be a faulty RCD for example. But not certainly.

Agreed

yeah 3 pin connector into the charger unit.

yeah as long as the laptop works i'm happy, its probably the rcd or too much stuff plugged in, anyway as long as it works i'm happy. thanks for all the replies anyway much appreciated.

Advertisement