Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Ditching Sky/UPC TV for Amazon Prime, Netflix etc.

• 19-11-2014 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

For the last few years i've been hopping back and forth between UPC and Sky's tv deals (usually fueled by what deal is on), but am thinking of ditching the straight up providers and just getting fast internet with streaming services.

Anyone else done the same? Any suggestions? I just don't think i watch the majority of these channels and what i am interested in seems to be stream-able for cheaper?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

the usual mod warning about not discussing circumventing regional restrictions or breaking copyright laws applies. Bans will be issued to those breaking this

OP it depends what you are after.

The first thing to say is that if you have an interest in live sports, then retaining a linear TV service is an absolute necessity. You'll get a small amount of sports streamed online on RTE and TG4s website but nothing like what's available with even basic linear tv. (But do you have a satellite dish still installed? That might suit your needs if you don't want premium sport)

If you're a news junkie you may survive better with streams but again you may want to keep at least a basic package.

There's a number of other factors to consider:

HBO's exclusive deal with Sky means the only legal place to see most HBO shows is Sky.

Amazon Prime isn't available here.

Be prepared to have to wait for broadcast TV to get the first airings before Netflix does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sassysarah

I'm sick of switching between UPC, Sky & Eircom. All of them offer me great deals as a new customer but not as an existing customer so i'm thinking of 'cutting the cord' too ! I want to stream legally but no one gives me the option in Ireland !

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BillH93

For years we had sky+ without the sports package, we were offered it and movies for €30 extra a month...total rip off there's never anything on and we can't cancel it for 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

BillH93 wrote: »
    For years we had sky+ without the sports package, we were offered it and movies for €30 extra a month...total rip off there's never anything on and we can't cancel it for 6 months

You can cancel sports and movies with 30-days notice, you are not bound to a minimum contract.
    If they made you re-sign for 12-months you do have to keep a Sky TV package for that, but you could drop it down to the base €26 a month if you wanted.
    (HD pack is bound to a minimum term though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I don't think it's a viable option at all.

As stated above, Prime isn't available, the choice of stuff on Netflix Ireland is pretty limited and updated very infrequently and that's about the extent of your options.

You could try the free satellite option, or you could combine your online viewing with Saorview for news and a very limited range of sports, I suppose it depends what you want from your TV but I wouldn't fancy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 sashafierce1

My problem with all these Irish services is that they're behind the broadcast times by a staggering amount! Why can't Ireland have a service where you can pick and choose the episodes you want(up to date, Amazon prime type option) instead of having to buy or subscribe to a bunch of channels/tv bundle you don't use? It's frankly ridiculous in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PaddyMac1

icdg wrote: »
    the usual mod warning about not discussing circumventing regional restrictions or breaking copyright laws applies. Bans will be issued to those breaking this

OP it depends what you are after.

The first thing to say is that if you have an interest in live sports, then retaining a linear TV service is an absolute necessity. You'll get a small amount of sports streamed online on RTE and TG4s website but nothing like what's available with even basic linear tv. (But do you have a satellite dish still installed? That might suit your needs if you don't want premium sport)

If you're a news junkie you may survive better with streams but again you may want to keep at least a basic package.

There's a number of other factors to consider:

HBO's exclusive deal with Sky means the only legal place to see most HBO shows is Sky.

Amazon Prime isn't available here.

Be prepared to have to wait for broadcast TV to get the first airings before Netflix does.

Thanks for the info, didn't realize Prime wasn't available here. Was just Googling around on the subject and a lot of people were talking about that service.

I think i'll take you're advice on taking a basic package as I find it easy sometimes to watch "everyday?" TV, if you know what i mean. And then think about streams for other tv-shows & movies later depending on how much i think i need it.
    I don't think it's a viable option at all.

As stated above, Prime isn't available, the choice of stuff on Netflix Ireland is pretty limited and updated very infrequently and that's about the extent of your options.

You could try the free satellite option, or you could combine your online viewing with Saorview for news and a very limited range of sports, I suppose it depends what you want from your TV but I wouldn't fancy it.

So my only option would be to jump on the Netflix boat really for streaming, but i do take into account what you've said regarding the delay in updating their options here in Ireland. Maybe the local guys are just what we're stuck with at the minute, in terms of a basic package. And then get Netflix for the tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sassysarah

My problem with all these Irish services is that they're behind the broadcast times by a staggering amount! Why can't Ireland have a service where you can pick and choose the episodes you want(up to date, Amazon prime type option) instead of having to buy or subscribe to a bunch of channels/tv bundle you don't use? It's frankly ridiculous in this day and age.

Totally agree sashafierce1. It's 2014 and I don't have time to watch GOT when RTE decide to air it. I want to watch it ASAP on my own time. Amazon Prime is available in the States and the UK so why isn't it or something like it available in Ireland?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

sassysarah wrote: »
    Totally agree sashafierce1. It's 2014 and I don't have time to watch GOT when RTE decide to air it. I want to watch it ASAP on my own time. Amazon Prime is available in the States and the UK so why isn't it or something like it available in Ireland?

Of course RTE don't and can't air it because of the aforementioned HBO-Sky deal. I'm not sure why the UK version of Amazon Prime hasn't been made available here. They may only have been buying UK rights to their shows and movies. The other scenario is that they are afraid to cannibalise Screenclick. (Which is more similar to the original US incarnation of Netflix and is not a streaming service)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I cut the cord a few years ago and I have my saorview plus channel and providers' apps that let me watch content on demand. From there I get movies, series and documentaries.

News streams are available from the companies websites in most cases.

That leaves sports out, but even with cable the cost is significant so I didnt have it when I had cable either.

So I am not fully covered but I refuse to pay one grand a year for a full tv package.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

gzoladz wrote: »

So I am not fully covered but I refuse to pay one grand a year for a full tv package.

You get a full TV package for free with Saorview and Freesat. Not much sport though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

PaddyMac1 wrote: »
    For the last few years i've been hopping back and forth between UPC and Sky's tv deals (usually fueled by what deal is on), but am thinking of ditching the straight up providers and just getting fast internet with streaming services.

Anyone else done the same? Any suggestions? I just don't think i watch the majority of these channels and what i am interested in seems to be stream-able for cheaper?

Where are you going to get your broadband from? If it is UPC then the price difference between basic standalone BB and basic TV+BB packages aren't that much, around €12/month.

Or if you are getting your BB through phone line then maybe Evision, afaik it is €15 on top of broadband?

As already said the legally available streaming offerings here are very poor. Netflix content is pretty rubbish, took me about 10 minutes to know I wasn't going to pay for it beyond the free trial.

It all depends on what TV content you want though. I assume that freesat + sourview would not do it for you so barring the dodgy route you are going to have to pay someone for your preferred content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

You get a full TV package for free with Saorview and Freesat. Not much sport though.

Forgot to mention, freesat is not an option where I live, but you are 100% right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Thinking of doing this ourselves. We're with Sky at the minute & it costs €36 a month. I could move to UPC but we rarely watch regular tv so think its a waste of time. Between Netflix, 4OD, Rte Player I think I'll bite the bullet & get rid of tv package completely.

Was looking at a Saorview Box, can anyone direct me to the best value one (which records if possible). Are there many legitimate companies providing the service? This is where I was looking at it with: http://www.eirsat.ie/packages.html or else I can see you can buy boxes just directly from places like DID http://www.did.ie/saorview-set-top-boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Was looking at a Saorview Box, can anyone direct me to the best value one (which records if possible). Are there many legitimate companies providing the service? This is where I was looking at it with: http://www.eirsat.ie/packages.html or else I can see you can buy boxes just directly from places like DID http://www.did.ie/saorview-set-top-boxes

Are you looking at getting a satellite dish, or just Saorview (for RTE, TV3, UTV only)?

If you just want a Saorview box and you live in Dublin, you'd be mad to pay anybody anything to install it because you more than likely do not need a rooftop aerial.

I live in west Dublin, got this box a few months ago: Link, works perfectly for Saorview when combined with this aerial: Link

Job done, RTE and UTV coming through in HD for about 50 quid. If you have a newish TV, you may not even need the box.

Even if you live outside Dublin, you very possibly don't need a rooftop aerial, depending on your geography.

All that said, I still have UPC as my main setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Thanks a million. I just want the range of channels offered on the links (ie uk & irish free view channels) but with a legal box as I don't want it being blocked or whatever after a few months. We've a sky satellite dish but don't have a saorview telly. If the one you've linked worked fine, then that's all I'd get. Only working part time as of now, so could do with getting rid of a bill I can't justify.

I also asked my brother who's in IT, but he takes an age to come back to me about these things haha.

Advertisement