Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas around Parkway Shoping Centre/St Patric's road & school too

• 19-11-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Still looking at perhaps getting a house, and it looks like there is a number available at prices I could probably afford in the area generally around Parkway Shopping Centre. It's still the right side of town for the stuff I need.

But how good/bad are the areas? Any antisocial stuff. and are they heavy on students? It's a family home I need...

We're talking places like:

- Bloodmill Road (Oakwood, Windsor court)
    - St Patrick's Road and places immediately around it (some of them seem to be classified as Singland)
    - The other side of Dublin Road, apparently Rhebogue

Also is St. Patrick's Boys School any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Hey Op

I'm originally from, and back living in Lynwood Park/St Patricks road area.

The area is generally quiet, the people (some elderly and some family) have been around since the estates were established. A lot of the younger families grew up there and returned as adults to start their own families.

I myself went to St Brigids school but that was a long time ago now. My niece goes to the school and she's enjoining it. A friend teaches in St Patricks, but again I don't know a lot about the school. Nightmare location though.

I walk the route around Childers road, parkway, Dublin road, twice daily. A few kids hanging out on corners, bit of underage drinking the odd time, but nothing I didn't do myself as a teen. Just kids being kids. Nothing to report really.

The positives. Walking distance to town, regular buses, close to Childers road, shopping, UL and two primary schools.

House prices have dropped massively (I've taken a huge hit) so that's a plus. Not too many students about TBH.

Drop me a line if I can be of anymore help...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Persiancowboy

It'll be hard to find a place as settled as St. Patrick's Road. If you can get a house there you should be well set up. The only thing is the road is busy traffic-wise but most houses have decent-sized front and back gardens.

Granville and Lynwood are ok areas too.....houses not as old as those on St. Patrick's Road and not as well built. Norwood (next to Childer's Road) is a kip...always was from day they were built.

Rhebogue is good and bad....you have the halting site nearby and that can lead to problems from time to time. Having said that, it's often the members of the settled community that make for the worst neighbours.

St. Patrick's School is a very well-established one and members of my family and a good deal of neighbours have gone there down the years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It'll be hard to find a place as settled as St. Patrick's Road. If you can get a house there you should be well set up. The only thing is the road is busy traffic-wise but most houses have decent-sized front and back gardens.

Granville and Lynwood are ok areas too.....houses not as old as those on St. Patrick's Road and not as well built. Norwood (next to Childer's Road) is a kip...always was from day they were built.

Rhebogue is good and bad....you have the halting site nearby and that can lead to problems from time to time. Having said that, it's often the members of the settled community that make for the worst neighbours.

St. Patrick's School is a very well-established one and members of my family and a good deal of neighbours have gone there down the years.

And why would you say that? I remember Norwood when it was only half built and it has never been a kip. I have relatives living there nearly 40 years and I know plenty of other people living there. It's no better or worse than Lynwood or Granville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Thanks a lot!

I have questions about two specific estates on St Patrick's Road.

What's up with Fairgreen? It's somewhat unexpectedly cheap there?

And the other one is Hillview. Houses there seem somewhat newer?

MichaelR wrote: »
    Thanks a lot!

I have questions about two specific estates on St Patrick's Road.

What's up with Fairgreen? It's somewhat unexpectedly cheap there?

And the other one is Hillview. Houses there seem somewhat newer?

The houses on the Fairgreen are ancient (60-70 years old) and tiny. That's why they're so cheap. Hillview and Hilltop would be there around 20 - 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

The houses on the Fairgreen are ancient (60-70 years old) and tiny. That's why they're so cheap. Hillview and Hilltop would be there around 20 - 30 years.

I think the foundation stone for the fairgreen houses is dated 1935 - it's on the front of one of the houses ( next to entrance to Ballysimon Crescent )

Thanks!

So, socially Fairgreen is fine? There is a football stadium there - does that create any trouble?

We could possibly view an old tiny house, but we would certainly not want a beer bottle flying into its window...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Thanks!

So, socially Fairgreen is fine? There is a football stadium there - does that create any trouble?

We could possibly view an old tiny house, but we would certainly not want a beer bottle flying into its window...

LOL - Stadium. Fairview rangers would love if it was. There are no floodlights so most matches are on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

There is an all weather pitch with lights - used most nights ... but only attendees tend to be players.

I live with my back wall against the pitch - never any trouble relating to it.

I don't think the area is any better or worse than any other nearby. Although the old graveyard at the end of the fairgreen can attract undesirables occasionally.

And the Guinness is grand in the Fairview clubhouse .... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Wasn't there terrible problems with a "family" up by the Fairview pitch not so long ago, remember a lad I used to work with was telling me and it was in the leader also as far as I remember, I assume they were moved on or whatever happens, it sounded like a terrible situation at the time.
    The area would strike me as being typical Limerick "working class" area, most houses are probably full of salt of the earth types, you'll never have better neighbours than this type but you're gonna have the odd troublemaker as well. It's up to yourself to integrate into any community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

And why would you say that? I remember Norwood when it was only half built and it has never been a kip. I have relatives living there nearly 40 years and I know plenty of other people living there. It's no better or worse than Lynwood or Granville.

I wouldn't call Norwood a kip but it's not as nice as Lynwood or Woodlawn by any means. The layout of the estate isn't as nice and the houses are more tightly packed together. In Woodlawn nearly every house overlooks one of the greens and in Lynwood, even the areas not overlooking the green, are less densely packed so feel more open. In fact all the houses on the east side of the road not overlooking the green back onto a large, landlocked field, so the back gardens aren't overlooked. None of the estates are bad but Lynwood is the nicest estate in that general area imo.

The Fairgreen is nice, afaik, there was a problem with the tenants in a rental house for a while but I think they are gone now. The houses are tiny but the eastside houses mostly have very generous gardens. I'd view Fairview FC as a positive rather than a negative as it's a good local venue to hire for parties.
    The area would strike me as being typical Limerick "working class" area, most houses are probably full of salt of the earth types, you'll never have better neighbours than this type but you're gonna have the odd troublemaker as well. It's up to yourself to integrate into any community.

The Fairgreen has always been a private estate, more lower middle class than working class historically. The main reason the prices there are cheaper than the other local estates is that the houses really are very small.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    I wouldn't call Norwood a kip but it's not as nice as Lynwood or Woodlawn by any means. The layout of the estate isn't as nice and the houses are more tightly packed together. In Woodlawn nearly every house overlooks one of the greens and in Lynwood, even the areas not overlooking the green, are less densely packed so feel more open. In fact all the houses on the east side of the road not overlooking the green back onto a large, landlocked field, so the back gardens aren't overlooked. None of the estates are bad but Lynwood is the nicest estate in that general area imo.

I agree on Woodlawn. All the houses face one of the 2 greens. However I never mentioned it. I said Granville and Lynwood. Have a look on google maps, there's very little difference between them and Norwood. I'd recommend any of them to the OP.

Thanks a lot!

And what about Churchfields? I'm asking about estates where houses are advertised, naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The houses in Woodlawn, Lynwood, Granville, Norwood and Castletroy View are very similar because they were all build by the same developer back in the day. All good well built houses compared to that built during the Celtic Tiger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I grew up in the general area and live close enough now but just looking at satellite pictures it's clear that Lynwood is more spacious. In Norwood and Granville the houses are built in back to back rows which gives the houses a more hemmed in feeling. As Norwood is the bigger of the two, the feeling is worse there. All areas are fine but Lynwood is nicer than Granville and Granville is nicer than Norwood, which is nicer than Hilltop. I know you didn't mention Woodlawn but it's a nice estate in the area and in some ways is the nicest estate in the region as the fact it's basically two culs de sac keeps it quiet and free of traffic. Their residents association is very strong so I don't think there is much risk of anti-social behavioural problems but on the otherhand I know some people who live there and think the RA is a bit too interfering. Out of all the estates I think Lynwood is the nicest by a wide margin and would probably have bought there if my house purchase had fallen through.

OP, if a small older house, like on the Fairgreen, is something you are interested in Bengal Terrace is also quite nice. Personally I prefer it to the Fairgreen (I think it has a nicer feel) but it is near a graveyard which is off-putting to some people and all the gardens are northfacing, though very long so would still get plenty of sun (the 3 days a year we get sun).

Thanks a lot!

Discussed with the wife but she is somewhat uneasy about the traffic getting out of there - is that an issue? Also would the pub at Fairview Rangers be noisy at nights, especially Friday/Saturday?

And thanks, I'll take note of Bengal Terrace; currently there is only a 2 bed available there but who knows what the future can bring.

Thanks a lot!

Discussed with the wife but she is somewhat uneasy about the traffic getting out of there - is that an issue? Also would the pub at Fairview Rangers be noisy at nights, especially Friday/Saturday?

And thanks, I'll take note of Bengal Terrace; currently there is only a 2 bed available there but who knows what the future can bring.

No noise from the Fairview. It's a local pub and it has a fairly mature clientele (and I unfortunately include myself in that!) There can be parties in there but generally it pretty quiet.

Thanks a lot!

No noise from the Fairview. It's a local pub and it has a fairly mature clientele (and I unfortunately include myself in that!) There can be parties in there but generally it pretty quiet.

Advertisement