Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords to deduct Water Charges from Tenants Deposits

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

So its still a total cluster ****. Grand. We have until February now to send back the packs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    On a practical note, I emailed IW re the rental confusion - re tenants leaving mid - billing period, and the rebate (who gets it, and when).. To their credit they replied within 24 hours.

However, that's all the credit they're getting - this what they replied

'
    Thank you for your email regarding rental properties.

The occupier of the property is liable for water charges. Landlords will be provided with the facility to provide their tenant’s names

prior to the commencement of billing in April 2015, if they have not already done so. In the meantime, tenants are encouraged to respond to the request for them to apply to Irish Water before February 2nd, 2015. The new application form is currently available to download on our website. This can be returned by freepost to our postal address below. When this is returned to us, we will record the tenant at the address they are occupying and create an account number for them in order to bill them for water usage.

The water conservation grant announced by the government this week will be administered by the Department of Social Protection, and will be given to households in late 2015, after billing by Irish Water has commenced. Please bear with us while we implement our new changes to water charges and tariffs. More information will be made available through our website prior to commencement of billing in April 2015.

If you have any further queries you can visit our Questions and Answers section here, alternatively you can reach us by using the contact details below.
    '
    '

Needless to say I'm none the wiser.

I think I'm an intelligent person, but I have no idea what this is saying. WTAF???

• Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I think I'm an intelligent person, but I have no idea what this is saying. WTAF???

I know. And I asked two fairly straightfoward, specific questions :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

What it says to me is sign up early, get any allowance later on, maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

does anyone know if there has been any further clarification on this issue?
    are landlords now definately going to be responsible for their tenants water charges?

a couple of weeks ago my tenants contract was up. i wasnt going to increase the rent (they were paying about 30% under market value, but they are great tenants). As a direct result of the announcement by Alan Kelly, I increased their rent by €50 per month to cover any losses I may be liable for in terms of water charges. They are still paying significantly under market value.

I did however tell them that I will refund them the increase if they leave and have not left me with their water debt. and i will definately honour that.

was a bit of a snap decision i suppose because the rental agreement was due to be signed the day after Alan Kelly's announcement.

I can only presume it will result in pushing rents up further.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be honest- I imagine it will have far more of an impact on deposits- than on rent. Its a one-off hit at the end of a tenancy- if its not paid- rather than an ongoing cost. Irish Water are not allowed to turn off a tenants water- so if a tenant stayed in a property for 4 years- they could potentially owe over a grand in water arrears and charges (at current rates- and if we move onto cost recovery- of 470-500 a year, as proposed- it would be more akin to 2k in arrears and charges, for a tenant of 4 years).

No update on this- thus far- though the Irish Landlord's Association have hammered out how they find this proposal wholly unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Any news on this subject ?

Advertisement