Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lotus Elise Insurance

• 19-11-2014 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey all, I'm searching for insurance for a 02 Lotus Elise and the cheapest I'm getting (after 2 days worth of calls is 1040.00). I'm 34, full clean licence for 6 years and full no claims bonus in excess of 15 years. No convictions etc... I have a main car which my no claims is currently on so I need an insurance company who will 1) insure high performance cars like the Elise and 2) are willing to mirror my no claims onto it. Is this typical insurance to pay on an Elise? Would value peoples input, advice and direction. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,857 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's 1.8 but I think because of the rarity of it the quotes will be high as they won't have much to benchmark the risk from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

I've got a 2013 Toyota GT86 and have fully comp insurance for €700, that's living in Dublin 7. I got that through chill.ie. I'm 32, full no claims and no convictions.

When I was talking to insurance companies most were in the region of €1,500 as they class it as a performance car. For an 12 year old Elise you should be looking for something close to €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 WYSIWYG

I have another car as my main car. Only planning to use the elise as a weekend and summer car. Got a quote for it as my main car for around 500. But the problem seems to be with having it as a second car. It's either more expensive or they won't quote at all. Kinda odd that if its a main car and I drive it more then its cheaper than if it's a second car and driven less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,857 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you got a quote of 1040 as your 2nd car it's a very good quote and I would take that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

WYSIWYG wrote: »
    I have another car as my main car. Only planning to use the elise as a weekend and summer car. Got a quote for it as my main car for around 500. But the problem seems to be with having it as a second car. It's either more expensive or they won't quote at all. Kinda odd that if its a main car and I drive it more then its cheaper than if it's a second car and driven less.

On the basis of the two quotes for main and second car, sounds like you've no no claims applied to the second car.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    On the basis of the two quotes for main and second car, sounds like you've no no claims applied to the second car.

My NCB (15 years plus) is on my main car with Aviva. The quote I got for 1040 (from Britton) was mirroring my NCB. From what I know about it, the mirroring is basically the equivalent of just 2 years NCB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

tonedef wrote: »
    ... For an 12 year old Elise you should be looking for something close to €500.

I would think thats unlikely, (but I would be happy to be wrong!)
    Perhaps if he paid a large excess? I mean accident repairs on an elise would surely be at the top end of the ladder!

I would think thats unlikely, (but I would be happy to be wrong!)
    Perhaps if he paid a large excess? I mean accident repairs on an elise would surely be at the top end of the ladder!

I need the Elise as my second car but I got a quote for the Elise as my main car (just to see how much it would be) using my full 15 yrs+ NCB and it came back at 530. Not much good to me though as I need the NCB mirrored.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is there an Irish Elise owners club? If so they might be able to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

Is there an Irish Elise owners club? If so they might be able to help you.

This is a Lotus owners club, but they don't seem to be very active. Last event on their website is from 2012:
    http://www.lotusclubireland.com/
    I need the Elise as my second car but I got a quote for the Elise as my main car (just to see how much it would be) using my full 15 yrs+ NCB and it came back at 530. Not much good to me though as I need the NCB mirrored.

Yeah, that's in line with what I would have been expecting.
    Got a missus that you can insure that car in her name and put yourself as a named driver? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement