Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Car

• 19-11-2014 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭

I put a deposit on a new car today, trading in my old car. I have since been offered a better price for my old car. How binding is my contract with the garage and can I get my deposit back ? Has anyone else been through this. I don't want to go back to the garage unless I can be sure I can cancel and get my deposit back. Does anyone know where I stand ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you sign anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Matteroffact

Yes, I signed the deposit receipt I got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The point of a deposit is the promise of purchase. If you change your mind it's not very fair on the seller to have to give you the money back, after all you committed to buying the car.

I don't know the exact legalities of this of course, I'm just a guy.

Yes, I would feel bad if I went back to the garage and wanted to cancel, but the new deal would more than cover the loss of the deposit and I am wondering if I am still committed to buying the car, even if I am prepared to forfeit the deposit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

What T&Cs are stated on the deposit receipt?
    Is the deposit much larger/smaller than the price difference?
    Did you sign a deposit receipt or an order confirmation for new car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You could call the dealer and see if they will let it go but the ball is firmly in their court...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html
    If things go wrong

If you have a problem with an item that you have bought it is always the seller who should put things right. As a general rule, the seller can either repair or replace the item. Alternatively, they can refund the costs of the item or service to the consumer.
    If you are not satisfied with the quality of goods or services you can:
    • Return the goods to the supplier who sold it to you (you should not return the goods to the manufacturer)
    • Act as soon as you can – a delay can indicate that you have accepted faulty goods or services
    • Do not attempt to repair the item yourself or give it to anyone else to repair it
    • Make sure that you have a proof of purchase (a receipt, cheque stub, credit card statement or invoice)
    You have no grounds for redress if
    • You were told about the defect before you bought the item (for example, if the goods were marked 'shopsoiled')
    • You examined the item before you bought it and should have seen the defect
    • You bought the item knowing that it wasn’t fit for what you wanted it to do
    • You broke or damaged the product
    • You made a mistake when buying the item (for example, if you bought an item of clothing thinking it was black when it is actually navy)
    • You change your mind

There are no T&Cs on the receipt except to say that the deposit is non refundable. The deposit is 300 euro. I am being offered 750 more on the deal in another garage, plus a diamond coat worth 400 euro. I did not sign an order confirmation, but I did sign a receipt for the deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Maybe try bargain again, getting the first garage to beat the new quote. Yhis happens a lot to impulsive people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Call into salesman you gave deposit to. Tell him the true story and figures and obviously point out that you are the one messing things about but
    Tell him you are going to forfeit the deposit for obvious reasons or alternatively do a deal with him at the reduced price.
    You are losing 300 so best you are gaining is 450 by using the other dealer plus paint protection being thrown in.
    If you could get current guy to drop 300, I would stick with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Out of interest what did they tell you the diamond coat involved to be 400 quid in value?

• Advertisement

I have no idea what the diamond kote involves, but got a leaflet on it. I must look it up. I was told that it was worth 400 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I would be of the opinion that it would be much better for the dealer to not have to take your car as a trade in and just sell the new car to you. It's a win win for both of you; you get more for your car and he doesn't have to take up space on his forecourt or put money into getting your old car ready for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would be of the opinion that it would be much better for the dealer to not have to take your car as a trade in and just sell the new car to you. It's a win win for both of you; you get more for your car and he doesn't have to take up space on his forecourt or put money into getting your old car ready for sale.

The deal is for trading in to another dealer, not selling the car private for cash.

Good news. I went into the garage today, stated my case and am getting 500 extra on the deal. I will stick with this.
    Thanks MICKDW and everyone who advised me.

Advertisement