Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving home phone away from UPC

• 19-11-2014 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

If I had a landline number with UPC and wanted to port it to a VOIP service while travelling would anyone recommend the best option?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Digiweb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭user99

The cheapest plan on their website seems to be E15.25 per month (Metro Talk)?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

user99 wrote: »
    If I had a landline number with UPC and wanted to port it to a VOIP service while travelling would anyone recommend the best option?

Thanks

Goldfish is probably the easiest and one of the cheapest if you want to bring it abroad.

Comreg regulations do not allow Geographic numbers to be allocated in anywhere outside that area by the way, but it will work.
    domeld wrote: »
    Digiweb

Do they charge any line rental for residential SIP trunks? I thought since it went Viatel they brought in a charge?

So if I'm reading Goldfish.ie correctly I signup for their E3.99+VAT package (Single User VoIP). I port my existing UPC number to them. I can setup voicemail on this and receive all my voicemails via Email. If I want to make or receive calls I can install VoIP software on my Laptop and use this?

user99 wrote: »
    So if I'm reading Goldfish.ie correctly I signup for their E3.99+VAT package (Single User VoIP). I port my existing UPC number to them. I can setup voicemail on this and receive all my voicemails via Email. If I want to make or receive calls I can install VoIP software on my Laptop and use this?

Exactly. You can get an IP Phone or an ATA device to connect a traditional landline phone to Goldfish also if you wish. It might work out handier, but going abroad might be hassle bringing it? There are travel ATAs around that you can get but then consider all the plugs etc.

In terms of softphones, 3CX or Voiper are good. You can get a 3CX app on iPhones (and probably Android) so you always have it with you. Should work on most networks and on a stable WiFi connection.

Unless you are in a country where VoIP is prohibited - e.g. UAE or China, there shouldn't be an issue getting it to work abroad.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice lads.

Viatel is for wholesalers, Digiweb is for home and small business.

domeld wrote: »
    Viatel is for wholesalers, Digiweb is for home and small business.

Do Digiweb do any sip trunks/voip services for small business Domeld?

I was under the impression that all their business voip stuff went to Viatel.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 eamo4648

viatel is wholesale as far as i know

Mr. G wrote: »
    Do Digiweb do any sip trunks/voip services for small business Domeld?

I was under the impression that all their business voip stuff went to Viatel.

Thanks

Yes they do (SME market), and now they are doing hosted service as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 eamo4648

Hi just be aware UPC have a tendency to drop all inbound calls as soon as they receive the port out request.

Advertisement