Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mirage track car

• 19-11-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd throw this up for something a bit different.

A friend took his car off the road after it started drawing a bit of attention from a fine member of AGS, who didn't like the sound of the turbo :). It was also struggling to pass NCT emissions for a bit, due to a dodgy idle. Gave him a few quid toward a new car and we set about getting it ready for doing a few track days.
    351buow.jpg

First thing and still ongoing is stripping everything off the car either to be repaired, replaced or thrown out.

35mgjd0.jpg

The blower came out so we could remove the air con core. A few kg's in it.

30sda48.jpg

With everything stripped it's easy to nip any spots of surface rust in the bud.

2rhnxgw.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

The engine bay is stock bar a cone filter. Battery went in the boot, rad came out to be cleaned and all the bits of aircon were taken out.
    21evz8l.jpg

Exhaust along with the manifold came off handy enough.
    30dfe5t.jpg

Cut it down near the end to help take it off as that section is rotten. The rest of it is fine.
    5jxyya.jpg

An exhaust port with 200 odd km on it.

2m4rcxl.jpg

t9ipvp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Yes! :D I look forward to seeing this develop :D

Hopefully put a fixer the dodgy idle that was causing the NCT problems. The connector on the sensor was missing a [ shaped clip like these to hold it on. It moved about quite freely so we were thinking at idle it would have been giving a bad connection.

I put a bit of piano wire around it and twisted it with a pliers to tighten it. Solid as a rock now. A new sensor is near 300 quid so hopefully that's all it was. Obviously we won't know if it's worked for a while yet though. Took a picture of the back of the connector to see if the wire was sitting right.

2gvv41c.jpg

Picked up bigger brakes and hubs last weekend. Need to change over to the bigger hubs to the to fit the 2 pot brakes.

Old versus new.

2jd2a10.jpg

2evd9b4.jpg

Removed the back bumper for a look underneath. Found the rustiest part of the car. You could poke through into the spare wheel well through the patches of rust in the centre of the panel. Took of the bracket for the bumber which is salvageable just about. We were thinking last night about welding a brace between the 2 chassis legs at the back. Anyone any thoughts on that? Not seen it done before.
    2lcnsjq.jpg

edit: Something like this

2corknr.jpg

• Advertisement

Got the rust on the back, the boot and some of the engine bay cleaned up with power tools. Wiped it down with degreaser and gave it all a coat of zinc.

2qas9cn.jpg

29or6f9.jpg

Fitted the hub and brake on one side. All seems to fit and line up although the track rod end needs to fit into the hub from the opposite side. Need to get the wishbone off on the drivers side to press out the ball joint. It took a beating getting the hub off. Had to get heat on it in the end.

vpw2gw.jpg

Also power hosed out the rad earlier. Used a bit of a mild alloy wheel cleaner spray on it.

1z55h6h.jpg

Alot of grinding and painting going on and trying to source parts, bushes, balljoints and the like.. Asti RS's seem to be cobbled together with some unique parts and bits and pieces lying around mitsubishi factories :).

2ew1u6x.jpg

2lmvtrm.jpg

24zw4rd.jpg

szu78o.jpg

The calipers look better in the matt black. A fair bit work getting all the old paint off. The rears are of to get serviced on monday. Front brakes/hub are off an evo 3 and the RS rears are the same as an Evo 3 with a 1mil or so smaller piston. Evo3 is 200 - 300 kg heavier so should stop nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭Darraghmh91.

Cook project man it's good to see its not bein forgot about and used for the track
    I'll be keepin my eyes on this project

Ongoing work on the bonnet. It had rusted through where the filler is.

2vkc7eq.jpg

2ywhlpw.jpg

Have the 2 wishbones out for a service. One worse than the other! Having trouble getting ball joints so they got a bit of a tlc. Just need to find what other car the ball joints were fitted to. Mitsubishi don't make them. Just the full wishbone or the big rear bush is all they sell but an FTO/EVO3 one might fit...
    51ww9g.jpg

rtgbpf.jpg

I was able to get part numbers for the 2 bushes of the good side.

2f0alih.jpg

e0ssif.jpg

Something punched a hole just in the bumper just above the exhaust.

20qj34i.jpg

Roughed up with 60grit ^, used some p28 isopan, angle grinder, 80 grit, 180 grit wet sand. Must pick up some 400 just to finish it.
    so4ggl.jpg

• Advertisement

Currently restoring a mig welder too! Picked it up for 70 quid. Just need a tidy and a regulator for a large bottle full of CO2 it came with.

30dgx2r.jpg

Took a pic of this before it got blasted with the wire wheel.
    wtj0d3.jpg

So far all the panels are cleaned up, primed and a thin top coat
    99jg2p.jpg

Stuck on two new rear flexis. Hall of shame material this one.

18omr7.jpg

Took off the crossmember. One of the 2 mounts on it are bad. Top gearbox mount is in a similar bad shape.

2ldzo1s.jpg

2lij1n6.jpg

Engine is a throttle cable and 2 engine mount bolts away from coming out. Might be worth it. Clean up the engine bay properly, fix any leaking seals and change the timing belt and water pump...

Dash is back in
    w004qw.jpg

Needed a break from painting and grinding rust.

took out the washer bottle from in front of the d/s wheel.

29ndwds.jpg

PAS cooler sits in front of the p/s wheel. The pipes run across the front of the rad, from the pump and ressevoir on the drivers side.
    2zgx2dd.jpg

Took off the little rad and after 15 minutes of bracket jiggery, I figured a way to fit it to the washer bottle threaded stud. Just need to nick the corner off the other bracket to fit it fully and then plumb it up, the holes nearly line up on the other bracket. Wheel arch liner will have to be replaced now it's there.
    2du07ie.jpg

Done a bit of messing around with a black and white marbled paint effect. Looks kind of cool just have to get it more consistent.
    1432qa8.jpg

Bit of an update before it slips onto page 2 :pac:

Slow aul winter between one thing and another, but a few bits got done!

Rear brake discs guards got binned.
    350487t.jpg

1zdwx29.jpg

Flat out we were!

I find a rubber mallet and ring spanner technique better than a breaker bar in alot of situations. Good for lambda sensors and other rusty stuff or here where the calliper carrier bracket had to come off and you can't fit a socket in because of the hub disc. Stuck the brackets back on with a drop of fresh loctite.

R & D came up with this prototype for the intake. Very expensive bit of kit ;).

122ezxy.jpg

Raised the car up another bit using this borrowed jack.

10zquky.jpg

2l8ygk2.jpg

We took the gearbox out that evening. Wouldn't have gotten it out from under the car at it's previous height (lidl hydraulic jack).

Surprisingly light box. About 15kg or so. Needs a new 3rd gear syncro. Dropping into 3rd from 5th to overtake takes it's toll on them.

2iixpl.jpg

The bit of tlc around the boot area is more or less done. Lid is back on and all.

2jfx64n.jpg

2j3ik8x.jpg

Removed the torsion bar type boot openers and the locking mechanism. Just need the bumper put back on to finish it up. Not sure what to do about the spoiler. Looks a bit too big for the car but it's a job on the long finger list atm. Don't really want to be making work for ourselves or spending money on things we don't need yet!

2 issues on the passenger side are that one door hinge had seized years ago under an old owner and sort of collapsed and sheared the steel where the hinge is attached to the door. It put the allignment of the leading door edge out past the wing by about 8mm.

The other is that it slipped into a ditch at one stage after dodging a land cruiser coming around a corner to fast.

Should really replace the door and weld in a whole new quarter panel from the tail light to the door and roof to the sill...

It's a tricky one to bodge because it's behind the b-pillar so you can't just bash it straight out, had to tac on nails in the end and pull and bash at the same time! We eventually got it out as much as we could.

10cmfk9.jpg

2ziuixc.jpg

Very awkward little crease to pop back out because of the pillar.
    i1eaz4.jpg

24njt50.jpg

330cs4p.jpg

so0eix.jpg

That's as it sits with a second coat of isopon roughly sanded back. Another work in progress!

First box of parts arrived!

Balljoints and front and rear wishbone bushes for both the front wishbones. So much hassle sourcing these parts. About 30 quid a side to do. Main dealer we were told... 150 quid for a wishbone and they only supply the large cube of a rear bush seperately. After using the part numbers off the old bits and much computer these arrived.
    2web992.jpg

Rear bush comes off handy with a hammer and chisel. Front one too maybe, but worth putting the new one in with a press I reckon. Defo need a press for the BJ in and out.
    2ngeg7s.jpg

121dhxs.jpg

This bush and the ball joint on the same side were in tatters! Then ... that front bush above came out of this
    vd34pl.jpg

Must have made contact with the subframe from a bang to the wheel or something. A ballend of a hammer luckily fitted in perfectly to both ends. A few slaps of that hammer then with a second hammer and it was ready to go again. Quite soft the metal in these wishbones.

Another quick touch up with paint and they're ready.

v33k1c.jpg

Front bush - MITSUBISHI : MR130982 HERTH+BUSS JAKOPARTS - Ref: J4205100 x2

off mister auto for 23 delivered

The other bits all came from camskill who unfortunately don't list an asti so you have to pick and mix between evo IV, FTO and colt parts mostly.

ADC48002[1] MITSUBISHI COLT 1.3 (CA1A 01/92-03/96) - £ 15.32
    SERVICING PARTS, TUNING SPARES & SERVICE ACCESSORIES - Rear Bush for Front Bottom Arm LH or RH- Colt 1.3i GLi

Mitsubishi mb808910 - RHS mb808909 - LHS

2 BPRI:ADC48605[2] MITSUBISHI FTO - SERVICING PARTS, £ 23.98
    TUNING SPARES & SERVICE ACCESSORIES - Front Bottom
    Balljoint - FTO

Took a chance on the FTO balljoints and they fit perfect. My mate got one from a motor factor during the summer in its road car days. It was only a thou or so too small and pressed in OK... When painting them i noticed the circlip was all bent and a bit of play in it... pushed it out with a pencil :cool:. The only parts we've gotten locally so far were rear flexi hoses... everything else draws a blank stare at the computer so just I'd just be carefull if they decide to give you something that 'should/might' fit.

We also fitted front and rear superflex ARB bushes. The rear fit perfect (SUPF:SPF2004/17K[1] SUPERFLEX - Rear Polyurethane £ 12.49
    Anti Roll Bar Bushes - FTO GR & GS Non Mivec 17mm)

The front fitted too but maybe went in a bit easy.
    1 SUPF:SPF2073/21K[1] SUPERFLEX - Rear Anti Roll Bar £ 9.99
    Bushes - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 4 CN9A

Measured the front arb at 21mm so went with the rear EVO 4 ones... also 21mm. Mr333520 is the part no. off the ones we took out. The 20 at the end might be coincidence or not. Will update later.

• Advertisement

Gave the box a bit of a spruce in prep for opening it up, not so much for the bling!

2e5k5u0.jpg

x3cvna.jpg

ratio's : http://www.mivec.co.nz/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4275

Just found out today searching that box code that I don't think we have an LSD box, which is odd. Thought all the rx's had them :(:confused:.

While it's out I might try and source one.

You're getting fairly stuck in now it seems! :D

You're getting fairly stuck in now it seems! :D

Back tippin away at it the last 2 weeks! The lad who's shed the car is in, his aul lad was very sick and passed away about 5 weeks a go so between that, christmas and the christmas poverty buzz nothing was done really over the winter. Going to try our best to have it out in some of a sort of shape this summer!

Interslice wrote: »
    Back tippin away at it the last 2 weeks! The lad who's shed the car is in, his aul lad was very sick and passed away about 5 weeks a go so between that, christmas and the christmas poverty buzz nothing was done really over the winter. Going to try our best to have it out in some of a sort of shape this summer!

I'm in a similar boat, cant really do a whole lot due to family things, but the lack of coverage doesnt do much either, by the end of summer i wana take one of mine back to sweden, preferably the 900, plus an excuse to go to sweden

I'm in a similar boat, cant really do a whole lot due to family things, but the lack of coverage doesnt do much either, by the end of summer i wana take one of mine back to sweden, preferably the 900, plus an excuse to go to sweden

Looking forward to seeing that 900 develop. Will be a crackin car eventually. Interesting car too with its strange engine and box layout. To me anyway :P. You could easily kip in the back of the 9-5 though. Be a good trip either way!

Interslice wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing that 900 develop. Will be a crackin car eventually. Interesting car too with its strange engine and box layout. To me anyway :P.

To most people, a few lads on here were convinced it was rwd because of it, but that's it for ya! I'm getting bits for the 9-5 now, and next month is the 900's turn haha

To most people, a few lads on here were convinced it was rwd because of it, but that's it for ya! I'm getting bits for the 9-5 now, and next month is the 900's turn haha

Thought it was RWD too :o

Advertisement