Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feral Cats - toxoplasmosis?

• 19-11-2014 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

So we've spotted a mouse or two out in the shed recently and this morning, one right outside the patio door :eek: whilst the cat slept soundly on her bed.....I mentioned to himself would we get a couple of feral cats round the place and he said no absolutely not they cause abortions in sheep and cattle (we live on a farm), now this source of info was from about 35 years ago from an old grumpy git of a vet who is still practising (and who husband still sometimes uses), I went in to pay our bill yesterday and ended up teaching this vet how to stop his dog jumping up (his way was to shout no at the dog and point his finger in his face...), can't find anything definitive online, has anyone heard of this or point me in the direction of some info?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

have a read of this

http://www.netvet.co.uk/sheep/toxoplasmosis.htm

seems himself might have an argument ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yes, if the cat has toxoplasmosis and the sheep feed is contaminated with the cats' faeces, then it can cause ewes to abort once after infection. We never relocate ferals on sheep farms for this reason.

ETA: More specifically, from Wiki Vet:

"Infection in early gestation usually causes foetal death, as the foetal immune system is immature at this stage. In mid-gestation, infection may cause the birth of weak or stillborn lambs, sometimes accompanied by a mummified sibling. Ewes infected in the third trimester normally give birth to infected but clinically normal lambs."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Feck. I hate it when he's right. I just won't tell him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

boomerang wrote: »
    Yes, if the cat has toxoplasmosis and the sheep feed is contaminated with the cats' faeces, then it can cause ewes to abort once after infection. We never relocate ferals on sheep farms for this reason.

."

What about on cattle farms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Feck. I hate it when he's right. I just won't tell him.

though you might post something along them lines ok :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I know a cattle farmer. He has plenty of semi-feral cats in and around their yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    What about on cattle farms?

how about people ? about one in three of us are infected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,430 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

gctest50 wrote: »
    how about people ? about one in three of us are infected

People generally don't go out and sh*te in the middle of a field or into cattle feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

affects your personality n stuff though

the infected have slightly longer reaction times & are involved in nore car crashes

makes you a little bit more suspicious of stuff and loads more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Funny old disease Toxo, incurable as well.
    Side effects in humans are quite serious as well.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/01/220113-sneaky-cat-parasite-takes-over-human-brains-science/

• Advertisement
Advertisement