Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Australia with Pets-help!

• 19-11-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I'm wondering if anyone has emigrated with their pets from Ireland to Australia?

I have been doing some research on the web to find out what is involved and how to go about this. But I'm finding it difficult to get all of the answers.

The shipping of my 2 cats will be the easy part to organise. It's preparing them before the move that I need some advice on. I understand that they need to undergo a series of examinations with a vet approved by the 'authorities in your own country' - I don't really understand what this means? Is there a certain list of approved vets in Ireland that can assess your pets pre-migration? If so, where would I find such list? Also, I know that you have to apply for a permit for the pet, I suppose a type of visa, but I'm not sure at what point I need to make the application.

Really I suppose I'm looking to hear from pet owners who have gone through the process before and can tell me the steps involved, the general time frame and rough cost of vet assessments etc

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

Have you talked to any professional pet relocation companies? I have moved my cats to the USA using a company called EFL (based in Dublin) and they organised all the customs paperwork for me. For my part I had to get them all rabies vacc., sort theIr passports (although vet filled that for me) and bring them in X days before travel to get health certificates declaring they were fit to travel. EFL even gave me an example of the wording the vet needed to use for this. All I did then was show up to drop them if with the company, sign some documents, then collect them on the other side.

I believe Australia might be more complicated than the US, but if I were you I would call a few companies and get their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭S31

thanks for that! Was it a very expensive process if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I'd advise contacting a professional company as well. I looked after a dog for a few months when some people emigrated to Australia, when they were all settled, they had him flown over. They used a UK company, who I wouldn't touch with a bargepole, I ended up doing virtually all the paperwork along with my vet, and I then took him to Heathrow airport to fly off. He did a month in quarantine in Australia, which he sailed through, and is really happily settled there, and loving their pool.

Talk to the company mentioned above, and also your vet, they may well have helped move other animals already.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

I sent you a pm with how much it cost us per cat, but bear in mind it would most likely be quite a bit more expensive to move them to Australia. I did have 5 to bring over though, so maybe the overall cost would be similar! :b

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jatie

I'm going through the same process at the moment with 2 dogs.
    Everything is explained pretty well on the Australia Biosecurity website with all the timelines:
    ---.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs/step-by-step-guides/category-3-step-by-step-guide-for-cats
    For the shipping itself, we're working with a company called K International Freight Ltd who have been very helpful so far.

• Advertisement
Advertisement