Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend IT guy

Options
  • 19-11-2014 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    As the thread title suggests, looking for someone who can be recommended to deal with wifi connectivity issues, router problems etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

What seems to be the issue. I couldn't recommend any one sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭mosstin

Itzy wrote: »
    What seems to be the issue. I couldn't recommend any one sadly.

Wifi connectivity is appalling. Two routers in separate buildings but in recent months connection is slow or non-existent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Who is your provider and what package have you, i.e. what should your download speed be? You can run a speed test here http://www.speedtest.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Bad on both or one router?
    Who's the provider?
    How far apart are the buildings?
    Has it suddenly depreciated or was it gradual?
    Was it perfect at any time?
    Try and give details, otherwise, "how long is a piece of string". Not being smart!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭mosstin

red sean wrote: »
    Bad on both or one router?
    Who's the provider?
    How far apart are the buildings?
    Has it suddenly depreciated or was it gradual?
    Was it perfect at any time?
    Try and give details, otherwise, "how long is a piece of string". Not being smart!

Just looking for a recommendation tbh hence the lack of details. Done speed tests etc. Gradual depreciation in quality and poor on both routers. Not just speeds but also not connecting more and more frequently.

• Advertisement

I'd replace one router first, to see if it improves connectivity and speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

is it a wifi problem or an internet problem ?
    if you get the same poor result on two routers then its an internet issue and therefore down to your provider not the routers,
    IF the issue is a poor wifi connection to the router and the internet is fine when you are beside the router then an IT person may be able to help you.
    I do IT work around Sligo Town and County, but if you can give us as much info as possible you could be sorted here rather than paying a callout charge only yo be told to call Eircom/Fastcom/three etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

You don't say your provider, but if it's Fastcom and you have a gradual deterioration in speeds, then generally your antenna needs replacing particularly if you're near the bay or the sea, the connections in antenna get corroded.

Advertisement