Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do i need an RGI?

• 19-11-2014 10:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

My neighbours gas regulator for her cooker needs replacing, i changes the drums for her and i noticed a strong smell of gas and she hadnt the drum replaced long. The regulator looks worse for wear too. The smell is outside where the drum and regulator is.
    Can i go to the plumbing wholesalers tomo, buy and fit it myself or is it a job for an rgi?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

No you will need an rgi plumber and get him to inspect the installation and issue a certificate I have seen so many dangerous coors onto bottles alot of people did them as diy years ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

What is the difference between an RGI and a RGI plumber?

One is a plumber the other could be a taxi driver by night rgi by day

Ok, well i have been on the rgii website and recognised a fella that is on their site, he is a part time farmer though. Saw him buying rams at the mart on tuesday. Will this fella do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

He is exactly who you need, no scratch that he is exactly what this country needs.

• Advertisement

Ok, well i have been on the rgii website and recognised a fella that is on their site, he is a part time farmer though. Saw him buying rams at the mart on tuesday. Will this fella do?
    you have your man for the job just make sure he leaves his wellingtons outside the door and his farm is in his wifes name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What is the difference between an RGI and a RGI plumber?

There are RGI electricians & some RGI don't seem to be plumbers or electricians at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Plenty of GOOD tradesmen come from a farming backround and still may operate or help out on the family's farm.
    Nothing wrong with that.

Been RGII means he's regestered, insured and qualified + you know him.
    What more do you need if he's good.

You'll find good and bad from all backrounds !

If you spotted him buying a horse, would that make him a cowboy ?

scudo2 wrote: »

It would be none of my business, i must be missing the joke about an rgi being a taxi driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

scudo2 wrote: »
    Plenty of GOOD tradesmen come from a farming backround and still may operate or help out on the family's farm.
    Nothing wrong with that.

Been RGII means he's regestered, insured and qualified + you know him.
    What more do you need if he's good.

You'll find good and bad from all backrounds !

Davis told gardai he had conducted a carbon-monoxide safety test with a Kane analyser after the conversion but later admitted this was not done.
    British heating expert, Richard Siddons, told the trial the hotel boiler's carbon monoxide output was .......

"The reading was off the scale...it was in excess of 10,000 parts per million," he told the court.
    Normal carbon monoxide output from a properly converted boiler should be just 100ppm.

Davis had converted the boiler from natural gas to LPG on January 4.

However, the boiler's air-gas ratio switch was later found to be still at its factory setting.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/hotel-plumber-not-guilty-of-manslaughter-after-woman-found-dead-from-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-30760057.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

It would be none of my business, i must be missing the joke about an rgi being a taxi driver.

Its not a joke, like already said anyone can be a RGI, you didn't require qualifications to do the "training". :rolleyes:

Its not a joke, like already said anyone can be a RGI, you didn't require qualifications to do the "training". :rolleyes:

So are there rgi people who are not qualified rgi?

So are there rgi people who are not qualified rgi?

Their "Qualified"

But some were accepted onto the great 10 day course without previous appropate trade experience and qualifications. Hence some taxi drivers sliped through thinking it might be a handy earner !!!

Things have ment to have tightened up now ?
    But there's still a few inexperienced "chancers" out there who cannot have their RGII qualification legaly taken off them.

So recommendations are best.

99% Are good honest tradesmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

deandean wrote: »
    OP I've seen on outdoor set-ups (barbecues etc) that a smell of gas is more likely to be from a leaky gas hose, they seem to crack up after a few years out in the open.

Make up a mix of soapy water and brush it onto the hose and the regulator, look for bubbles. That's your leak.

But if it's just the regulator I would go to the local DIY shop, buy a regulator and fit it myself. It's one jubilee clip.

And just how would the OP know its just the regulator ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

deandean wrote: »
    OP I've seen on outdoor set-ups (barbecues etc) that a smell of gas is more likely to be from a leaky gas hose, they seem to crack up after a few years out in the open.

Make up a mix of soapy water and brush it onto the hose and the regulator, look for bubbles. That's your leak.

But if it's just the regulator I would go to the local DIY shop, buy a regulator and fit it myself. It's one jubilee clip.

Soapy water is corrosive

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭EganTheMan

Not something to mess with - play it safe mate . . .

Worth getting an RGI in - what is the smell is from a leak elsewhere?

Gas leak here traveled up between copper pipe and white sleve into kitchen.

Bad inferior connection.
    Flexi hose over white sleve !!

I wasn't called for gas but luckly had a coffee and smelled gas.
    Customer was original told gas smell was normal !!!

Have an RGI guy calling in the morning, he said he will supply whatever is needed and issuea Completion Certificate so all will be sorted.
    I don't know if he is a part time taxi driver or not.

Advertisement