Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballpark steel pricing

• 19-11-2014 10:51pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys, I'm trying to work out of a price for supply and erection of a small steel frame for a domestic extension is high, low or normal.

I calculated just shy of 900kg of steel plus about 13m lengths of 100x100x8 SHS sections. Various bolts, welds etc. I've been told to add on approx 30% for plates and bolts etc and then my final weight will give a guide price?

Can anybody give a current price per kg or ton of steel. The steel guy is painting and erecting the steel work.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any decent building supplier should be able to give you a price on a job like that.

Also 300kg for plates and bolts? Sounds excessive

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

godtabh wrote: »
    Any decent building supplier should be able to give you a price on a job like that.

Also 300kg for plates and bolts? Sounds excessive

The 30% was probably just a beer mat cost tbh.
    galwaytt wrote: »
    €780/ tonne for material is what I have atmo.

I've just been quoted 5k plus VAT for supply and fit of this. I thought it was a little on the high side tbh. Excuse the odd pictures, wanted to remove as much personal info as possible and the engineers logo too. All steel will be coated with intumescent paint.

A58BB891-3463-4A45-B3ED-862F1D3BFD7E.png.jpeg

7F1F2897-B02F-4FB1-B2F2-3A04D9C4DD5F.png.jpeg

7F1F2897-B02F-4FB1-B2F2-3A04D9C4DD5F.png_1.jpeg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its been a while since I did structures and its hard to tell from the drawings but are they engineering drawings or architectural drawings?

The last time I ordered steel it a 5m section from Heaton Buckleys. Painted and delivered for €200 (or less cant remember exactly)

Do you have a schedule of sections?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

godtabh wrote: »
    Its been a while since I did structures and its hard to tell from the drawings but are they engineering drawings or architectural drawings?

The last time I ordered steel it a 5m section from Heaton Buckleys. Painted and delivered for €200 (or less cant remember exactly)

Do you have a schedule of sections?

they are structural drawings.
    i only realised after i put them up that the quality was not great.

Ended up with 2 quotes, 5k plus VAT and 4800 plus VAT.

Theres a decent bit of fabrication and welding so that is bumping the price a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

I recall being told that for carbon steel fabrication jobs , as against stainless steel fab jobs, that the pricing was 3:1. Labour was generally three times the materials. Very rough rule of thumb that didn't take site work or painting into account.

Frogeye

• Advertisement
Advertisement