Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agents and Communication

Options
  • 19-11-2014 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Selling my house at the moment. Accepted offer on it 2 weeks ago, bidder was awaiting a second viewing. Heard nothing from EA re viewing. Left my house at the weekend and returned a few hours later to find alarm off, lights on, doors inside open. Got terrible fright as we had an attempted burglary last year and I ran out the door with my baby. Husband rushed home to me from city centre. Turns out the EA had indeed conducted a viewing. I am so angry I cannot bring myself to respond to his email, which contained a cursory apology. Needless to say my home was not fit for a viewing. Has anyone any experience of this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Wow, that is really awful.
    All viewings should be okayed first and with at least 24 hours notice.

Could it be the EA thought it had been booked in by another staff member? Some work off a diary and there is a secretary that books everything in advance.
    Even at that though leaving alarm off and lights on is just inexcusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, the EA's behaviour was wrong.

But if you seriously want to sell, then you need to make sure that your house is fit for viewing at all times. Do not ever go out leaving it unfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 darcey1971

There is no secretary in the company. I have yet to receive an apology from the person who the EA claimed contacted me. Even if a viewing had been requested, the fact that the EA did not receive a response to confirm should have warranted at least a follow-up phone call. The contract I signed with the EA states that notice must be given and confirmed by the vendor. It was pure coincidence that both myself and my husband were out on Saturday morning.

My home is presented immaculately for viewings. Previously I have had a few hours notice to present it in its best possible light, as yes, I am very serious about selling. As no viewing had been arranged I should feel safe in the knowledge that I can leave my home in a not so perfect condition. Maintaining a home 'fit for viewing' without notice of viewings is virtually impossible. This is especially so when both parents work full time, Monday to Friday and there are young children involved. This is why EA's give notice of viewings.

It was a Saturday morning after all and I don't think unreasonable to suggest we all need a break at the end of a working week before we tackle housework.

The issue is that the EA entered my home and went ahead with the viewing, without permission, written or verbal, to do so.

Thanks for your input guys

Advertisement