Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led House light - whats needed

Options
  • 19-11-2014 11:41pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Need to install a light at the back of house for security and going to bin etc.
    Don't really want a large halogen nor do I need to light up the full garden.

so, I want to use a different type of led - similar to ones used on trucks atv's etc. Like this one here
    The local motor factors had a test stand and this unit gave off some amount of light.

question , whats needed to attach it to a house power supply (at location) seeing as it's 24v odd, link in a pir and a switch to bypass the pir. Doable ?

thx

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It would be much easier and most likely more cost effective to use a mains voltage LED.

Is there a particular reason that you want to use 24VDC ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

2011 wrote: »
    It would be much easier and most likely more cost effective to use a mains voltage LED.

Is there a particular reason that you want to use 24VDC ?

no - no reason outside of getting the fixture as above.
    neat compared to normal floods, and great light.
    And I found one with a wider deg of light too - above link was just an example.

I also was given a step down voltage supply today at work, so that cost is gone.

easy to setup now ? as in pir linked into circuit with an "on" switch.

thx

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There are plenty of small mains voltage LED floodlights.

For example this one is only 115 x 85mm:

www.ledvista.ie/commercial-led-lighting-systems/led-floodlights-exterior-outdoor/led-floodlight-10w-ip65-cool-white
    I am sure that there are far smaller available if required.

But you can do as you have suggested as well.

Thx 2011

think I may go with a 240v led flood though -

the current draw on those 24vdc truck lights is high enough.

Will shop around - thru your link also - to see can I get a tidy led flood.

appreciate the reply.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

2011 wrote: »
    There are plenty of small mains voltage LED floodlights.

For example this one is only 115 x 85mm:

www.ledvista.ie/commercial-led-lighting-systems/led-floodlights-exterior-outdoor/led-floodlight-10w-ip65-cool-white
    I am sure that there are far smaller available if required.

But you can do as you have suggested as well.

Good link.. they are a nice little light iv used similar before, the 30 watt version is brilliant.

• Advertisement

HI

this might do the trick. - here - Deltech 30w with pir.

opinions ?

Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Par1 wrote: »

Would they survive severe weather conditions, high winds and driving rain, as on the West coast?
    If not , any recommendations appreciated.

Cerco wrote: »
    Would they survive severe weather conditions, high winds and driving rain, as on the West coast?
    If not , any recommendations appreciated.

Id be confident they would do the trick. From memory they were originally called 'Marine' grade which would be more robust to salt water etc....give the guy a call and ask. Id be 99% sure it would suit application you described.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

Wow , the Ledvista price! I have bought LED lights from Germany and the prices are very different 20w for €21, even with sensor included at €36, http://www.ekonled.de/LED-SMD-Aussen-Strahler-Fluter-Scheinwerfer . Maybe I'm not comparing like with like?
    pjq
    PS I bought via ebay (Byek De) , sorry it's in German, but they e-mail in English

• Advertisement

pjq wrote: »
    Wow , the Ledvista price! I have bought LED lights from Germany and the prices are very different 20w for €21, even with sensor included at €36, http://www.ekonled.de/LED-SMD-Aussen-Strahler-Fluter-Scheinwerfer . Maybe I'm not comparing like with like?
    pjq
    PS I bought via ebay (Byek De) , sorry it's in German, but they e-mail in English

Good find....great prices. have you actually bought from them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

I did not buy the floodlights , I bough the flat panel indoor lights, very pleased with them. I'm now looking into floodlights and can't understand the price differences.
    pjq

pjq wrote: »
    I did not buy the floodlights , I bough the flat panel indoor lights, very pleased with them. I'm now looking into floodlights and can't understand the price differences.
    pjq

Good to hear product is pleasing...prices are great i must say

Advertisement