Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you think of the legalization of LSD and MDMA?

• 20-11-2014 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Apologies if moderators deem this an inappropriate topic to be discussing.
    These are two substances that don't seem to cause any harm, as long as they're not used incorrectly, or laced with something else, which seems to cause most of the issues with both drugs. I think the legalization of these drugs(as well as cannabis, but that's for another discussion) would minimize the harm caused by them, though they should be tightly controlled. I think it should be necessary to have some kind of card that connects to a centralized database, and only allows a small amount of them to be purchased, say, 1 or two doses a week. All of the horror stories from these drugs I've heard is when either someone took an insane dose, or took pills which were adulterated with something else. Legalization, even in a strictly controlled way, would practically eliminate drug dealers over night, as well as fatalities(not so much from LSD, but MDMA), while the potential for abuse is still there, I think it's a lot less than it is right now, practically everyone I know could have their hands on either of these drugs in an hour if they wanted, so it's not really making them much more available than they already are.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I would think very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I prefer the tried and tested (and legal) substances of sniffing a tube of Pritt Stick and huffing floor polish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Out of respect I will come out with the understatement of the year decade!
    "That my dear friend would be a bad idea"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Yeah. Deadly buzz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Its suppose to snow mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Legalizing any drug. effectively approves of it's use and use of them should never be approved!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Darwin would be proud anyway.

Legalizing any drug. effectively approves of it's use and use of them should never be approved!

Do you drink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pedro1234

We should be allowed to do whatever we like with our bodies; they are our possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Do you drink?

Nope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

pedro1234 wrote: »
    We should be allowed to do whatever we like with our bodies; they are our possession.

And then the rest of us should need to spend hard earned taxes on your treatment and care for the rest of your lifetime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

I think any bad from such a decision would be greatly out weighted by the benefits.

Apart from people acting the jackass and fools using it as am excuse in court both of which happen now anyway there isn't much that can go wrong.
    There is a whole heap of benefits that as a state and society we aren't utilising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Balmed Out wrote: »
    And then the rest of us should need to spend hard earned taxes on your treatment and care for the rest of your lifetime

There should be the healthcare waiver applied, same as with drinkers, skydivers, drivers, smokers, and all lifestyle choices other than living in a bubble. Oh, wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

If you lift the ban on these then there'd be no more line to draw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Thinking about it, I'd actually legalise DMT and possibly other similar natural hallucinogens that can get rid of people's egos and provide spiritual experiences, would probably help towards a more peaceful and unified society. Mandatory education and control of them to make sure people are staying healthy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Legalise it all and treat addiction as a disease rather than a crime. Look at Portugal and how it's faired over the past decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think we have enough mental health issues in this country without throwing LSD into the mix

i am ok about other drugs being made legal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

LSD is an odd one to champion alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ectasy is an awesome drug that does very little harm if used responsibly and if it is in a pure state.

Everyone should try a psychotropic drug like LSD or magic mushrooms at least once in their lives (unless they have a medical or psychological condition that would make it too dangerous). If they were legalised and there were clear instructions on the packaging, then using these drugs would be much much safer (ie, don't try to fly by jumping out a 4th floor window, take off from the ground first)

The vast majority of people who try LSD only do it a few times. Very few people use it habitually because the body builds up a tolerance very quickly so it's only effective if you use it very infrequently. Those that take LSD regularly, were probably already away with the fairies before they touched any drugs.

I'd love to be able to go to a pharmacy and get a little bit of MDMA that I knew was properly manufactured, pure and in the correct regulated dose, and then go dancing once or twice a year. It would be awesome. it wouldn't ruin my life, it would make it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

These are two substances that don't seem to cause any harm, as long as they're not used incorrectly...

And all people are so moderate and self-controlled, that we never do anything excessively or use things for the wrong purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

unjedilike wrote: »
    If you lift the ban on these then there'd be no more line to draw.
    is that a bad thing?
    People are using illegal drugs by the boat load. There is a huge demand for this - lets legalise it , make it safer, remove the criminal element and tax it.
    And all people are so moderate and self-controlled, that we never do anything excessively or use things for the wrong purpose.

why is there this movement to regulate the behaviour of the whole population because a few people need to be saved from themselves?

It's madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Although the thread title might seem alarming to some, after marijuana those two are probably the next logical steps.

LSD in particular is non-toxic, non-addictive, no documented deaths from overdose, and no evidence of long-lasting physiological effects.

Steps are already underway in many countries around the world lifting cannabis prohibition and at some point, a generation or two down the line or whatever it takes, the rest will surely follow. The Portugal model is already a roaring success.

I wonder how the current system of treating non-violent drug offenses in the same league as the likes of rapes and murders will be viewed then, with the benefit of hindsight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Any drug?

Have you ever been sick? Had a headache?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I think it's a splendid idea!

And my jaw (which is in the next parish) agrees wholeheartedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

OP,

you say "most of the people i know could have either substance within an hour"...

yeah, that's not a good thing. and says a lot about the people you associate with.

i used to be mad into all that stuff when i was a dj, but now, i wouldnt go near it.

i'm all for the legalisation of weed, however with these other ones, i'm not so sure.

these type of "party" drugs, only lead to a life of living for the weekend, and that's NOT a good thing. you end up spending ALL your money, just going out, drink, drugs and it'll have you like a hamster on a wheel.... it's VERY hard to get out of that "loop", and when you're part of it, you feel like it's normal because everyone around you, as you said yourself, is either on them too, or can get them etc etc.

not a good thing. yes, they may be physically not too dangerous, but the effect it has on peoples actual lifestyles is where they cause damage.

i know people who used to be "friends" who are in their thirties, and STILL do all this every weekend, purely because it's THAT that has become the habit, and boy do they feed it.... every weekend... they'll go to any oul' sh!te that's on....

whatever they're seeking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Meh, think we have enough mind altering products on the market as it is, do not see the need to add more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

i think in controlled situations (such as therapy use) then yes, it should be legalised.

as far as being legal for recreational purposes, i wouldnt be too sure. i agree that cannabis needs to be legalised but having experiences with both mdma and acid (albeit great experiences), im not sure its something we want freely available as a society :D

but decriminalised for personal amounts? definitely 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

pedro1234 wrote: »

Should we allow idiots to kill themselves with drink and drugs?

Yes. It's their choice. Millions die every year from drink already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I'd be in favour of having them decriminalised. If someone wants to go around eating the jaw off themselves, or heading into the jacks to get gacked up for an hour then off they go. In many ways I think it would be preferable to legalising weed – you rarely get someone who likes a pill going on about how it’s harmless, the world’s greatest medicine and painkiller, a massive untapped source of revenue, and some sort of fúcking magical potion like the way stoners do about their stash of hash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I'd be in favour of having them decriminalised. If someone wants to go around eating the jaw off themselves, or heading into the jacks to get gacked up for an hour then off they go. In many ways I think it would be preferable to legalising weed – you rarely get someone who likes a pill going on about how it’s harmless, the world’s greatest medicine and painkiller, a massive untapped source of revenue, and some sort of fúcking magical potion like the way stoners do about their stash of hash.

People on pills constantly go on about how they should be legal and given to everybody.

Until they start coming down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

No it doesn't. There are muslim countries where most lawmakers are muslim and they still allow alcohol. They certainly don't drink and don't approve of it.

It's legal there because they realise that if other people want to, it's none of their business.

but decriminalised for personal amounts? definitely 100%

Then again you're still stuck with criminal gangs and all the **** that goes with that crap.

Augmerson wrote: »
    People on pills constantly go on about how they should be legal and given to everybody.

Until they start coming down.
    Can't say I've come across that. Stuff from the headshop led to some funny and not-so-funny next-day stories though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

We should go a stage further. Free drugs for all. Make up the exchquer by charging for water.

Now that won't make Ireland a tropical island paradise but it will sure seem like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Idiots will kill themselves with drink and drugs regardless of their legality.
    Akrasia wrote: »
    Ectasy is an awesome drug that does very little harm if used responsibly and if it is in a pure state.

Everyone should try a psychotropic drug like LSD or magic mushrooms at least once in their lives (unless they have a medical or psychological condition that would make it too dangerous). If they were legalised and there were clear instructions on the packaging, then using these drugs would be much much safer (ie, don't try to fly by jumping out a 4th floor window, take off from the ground first)

The vast majority of people who try LSD only do it a few times. Very few people use it habitually because the body builds up a tolerance very quickly so it's only effective if you use it very infrequently. Those that take LSD regularly, were probably already away with the fairies before they touched any drugs.

I'd love to be able to go to a pharmacy and get a little bit of MDMA that I knew was properly manufactured, pure and in the correct regulated dose, and then go dancing once or twice a year. It would be awesome. it wouldn't ruin my life, it would make it better.

This is absolutely spot on. LSD, MDMA and Cannabis are all healthier to use than booze and fags in moderation.

In topics like these I always wonder if legalisation of these substances would actually lead to a significant increase in consumption. The law never stops those who are interested in recreational drugs from obtaining them.

Decriminalisation for personal use is definitely a good step as persecuting people for carrying minor amounts of these substances are a waste of state resources. Actually legislating and regulating the substances would reduce deaths from contaminated street drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Then again you're still stuck with criminal gangs and all the **** that goes with that crap.

i know, its a sticky one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think they should be introduced to a pick n-mix, then watch the magic unfold.

Balmed Out wrote: »

Eh, not one cent from anyone's taxes go towards my health care. I pay 300 quid a month for private health insurance so your point is MOOT. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT.

Yes, and by their own hand too if they wish it so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

They should never have been made illegal in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Both should be legal. Sure it wasn't that long ago when you could walk into a shop and get your dose of magic mushrooms, pure stupidity that they were banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Apologies if moderators deem this an inappropriate topic to be discussing.
    These are two substances that don't seem to cause any harm, as long as they're not used incorrectly, or laced with something else, which seems to cause most of the issues with both drugs. I think the legalization of these drugs(as well as cannabis, but that's for another discussion) would minimize the harm caused by them, though they should be tightly controlled. I think it should be necessary to have some kind of card that connects to a centralized database, and only allows a small amount of them to be purchased, say, 1 or two doses a week. All of the horror stories from these drugs I've heard is when either someone took an insane dose, or took pills which were adulterated with something else. Legalization, even in a strictly controlled way, would practically eliminate drug dealers over night, as well as fatalities(not so much from LSD, but MDMA), while the potential for abuse is still there, I think it's a lot less than it is right now, practically everyone I know could have their hands on either of these drugs in an hour if they wanted, so it's not really making them much more available than they already are.

That's bloody brilliant.

I would never use them personally. I would never want there to be peer pressure to use things like those amongst young people.

I do think there should be more public info on drugs and perhaps public testing to see what is actually being sold.

I think it's silly to treat weed like it is a miracle drug. But it is a soft drug.

I know people who use weed who are good people and I know people who use who are mental.

Anyway some states in the US are moving towards it. And I think that will have a knock on affect.

I would never touch it personally. I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't eat meat.

Funny enough though every veg or vegan group meeting I go to will have at least one pot smoker. You can tell.

In the Netherlands legalizing soft drugs reduced the use of harder drugs.

I would never want it in my body. I would never want to feel pressure to take it like some people try to put you under to drink.

But education and information should be offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Spencer Winterbotham

All drugs should be legalised.

The war on drugs failed.

Stick your rosary beads up your anus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Stick your rosary beads up your anus.

I would love it if your name was Spencer Winterbottom :-)

Can you have it changed?

Great post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

just about the portugal model and its apparent great success. Portugal was starting from a really low base and a serious problem. It may be the correct model but this should be kept in mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Pure MDMA would certainly be a good drug to try. LSD, not unless you had a sitter with you and a good idea of what would happen. I'd support the legalisation of pure MDMA ahead of any other drug. And I've never even taken Ecstasy, I'm just aware of the multiple advantages that MDMA has.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

Was their not tests done that showed LSD had a good effect on people with depression? Either way if someone wants to take these sort of drugs then theirs nothing you can do about it, As it stand dealers will make all the profits while the usual boards.ie posters come on here and tell us its wrong even though their is a good chance their own sons and daughters are probably experimenting in their friends bedrooms while they tell their parents they're having a sleep over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

We should provide education and support and advice and safegaurds to reduce the amount of people that do so accidently or recklessly, and we should provide mental health support and help for the people who's lives have developed in a way that they wish to do so purposefully to try and convince them it's not the way things have to go. You won't save everyone regardless of what you do, but all the current system really does is sweeps things under the carpet so that Paddy Politician can turn to hysterical oul ones at election time and make false promises about keeping little Johnny safe while little Johnny takes pills in a club he hopes are what they're meant to be and utilises the advice of kids his own age as it's patently obvious a lot of the 'official advice' is bullsh1tty scaremongering pit out to keep little Johnny's oul one scared and voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

Regulated and taxed, why not. People will complain that thousands of people will abuse it and cause bodily harm to themselves and others, just as we do with alcohol, and drugs that are already illegal.

It would, most probably, lead to an awareness of the dangers of abuse, and the medical needs to deal with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement