Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Wifi or cellular - ipad

• 20-11-2014 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying an iPad and would appreciate some advice

1. Is it worth paying extra for cellular - I'm thinking mainly of security as opposed to open wifi

2. What best way to burn CDs to iTunes via iPad , presume my external CD burner ?

Any advice appreciated - thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭Horrocksjm

If you have the extra few euro, I would go with the cellular iPad. I regret not getting the cellular version.

As for burning to itunes. you would need to burn them to itunes on a PC or Mac and also subscribe to itunes match. This then puts all the music you have burned or downloaded to itunes into the cloud for you iPad or any other i product you may have to use and listen too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Horrocksjm wrote: »
    If you have the extra few euro, I would go with the cellular iPad. I regret not getting the cellular version.

As for burning to itunes. you would need to burn them to itunes on a PC or Mac and also subscribe to itunes match. This then puts all the music you have burned or downloaded to itunes into the cloud for you iPad or any other i product you may have to use and listen too.
    There's no need for iTunes match unless you want access to all your music and not have it stored on the device

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

If you have and iPhone i cant see the point of buying a cellular one. You can
    just tether your iPad to your iPhone and use the iPhone's 3G/4G for internet.

Also the iPad requires a dedicated data package you cant just throw any sim
    into it (from my experience) so its an extra bill every month when your
    probably already paying for data on your mobile phone network.

Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Is there any other reason you want a cellular ipad over the wifi model, I honestly think they are a waste of money.

You'll need to pay for the mobile internet (which granted isn't mad expensive) but its yet another bill.

If i ever want to connect to my ipad in public, i switch on a mobile hotspot on my phone and my ipad automatically connects (giving me 4G speeds)

Edit** exactly what Dublinstiofán said :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Well, I want my iPad online all the time. So, I don't want to be fiddling with hotspots (which then impacts massively on the iPhone supplying data's battery) or Desperately Seeking Wifi to party like its 2005.

It's easy enough to get a PAYG SIM and pay no more than 5€ a month if you're canny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

I went for a cellular iPad air and it's the best decision I ever made.

You could go down buying a refurbished 3G version and save yourself a few quid.
    http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad/ipad_air/wi_fi_cellular

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I got a 3g Mini and its brilliant. Some operators won't allow tethering, and it drains the battery like a mad thing, if they do.

Advertisement