Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with neighbours

Options
  • 20-11-2014 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

I live in a duplex which has a shared rubbish facilitate for our group of duplexes. About a year ago one of my neighbours started a painting business which he seems to run from home. I've seen him regularly dispose of painting materials in our bin shed which is bad enough. But every week when the bins are collected paint runs out of the bins onto the pathway outside our home. Today is the worst, there is white and pink paint everywhere.

I don't want to complain to them (they are a bit dodgy), how should I go about reporting them? Who should I report them to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

ClubDead wrote: »
    I live in a duplex which has a shared rubbish facilitate for our group of duplexes. About a year ago one of my neighbours started a painting business which he seems to run from home. I've seen him regularly dispose of painting materials in our bin shed which is bad enough. But every week when the bins are collected paint runs out of the bins onto the pathway outside our home. Today is the worst, there is white and pink paint everywhere.

I don't want to complain to them (they are a bit dodgy), how should I go about reporting them? Who should I report them to?

Man up and have a conversation with the guy, be friendly and polite but let him know your concerns.

You would be amazed, but sometimes talking to people has more impact that making formal complaints or reporting fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Man up and have a conversation with the guy, be friendly and polite but let him know your concerns.

You would be amazed, but sometimes talking to people has more impact that making formal complaints or reporting fellas.

I'm not a man so no, I won't be manning up. And no, I will not talk to them, if you knew these people you'd understand why...I might as well just paint a target on my house for the retribution I'd likely experience after they told me to f**k off.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ThatFatGal

If it's a shared facility, I would imagine that there's a management company involved? If that's the case, I'd suggest talking to the management company and let them talk to him (me being a woman too I wouldn't feel comfortable confronting a dodgy family either!)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭seamusmacc

make sure to take some photos to show the management company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What an ignorant and sexist thing to say to somebody.

OP, could you post a note in their letterbox? A couple of kind words expressing your concerns. Failing that, you could contact your letting agent or the management company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Get over yourself, its called a figure of speech learn some English

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

What they are doing is against the law, all paints now need to be compliant so report them to the council and let them to what they are supposed to do. It has nothing to do with manning up as some other stupid person has just said, you know your situation more than most. Also get on to the local welfare office as they are probably claiming too and working. just be nice to them in the mean time, you know a smile and a wave if needs be. good luck with it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP, could you post a note in their letterbox? A couple of kind words expressing your concerns. Failing that, you could contact your letting agent or the management company?
    Get over yourself, its called a figure of speech learn some English
    What they are doing is against the law, all paints now need to be compliant so report them to the council and let them to what they are supposed to do. It has nothing to do with manning up as some other stupid person has just said, you know your situation more than most. Also get on to the local welfare office as they are probably claiming too and working. just be nice to them in the mean time, you know a smile and a wave if needs be. good luck with it anyway

Cut it out the lot of you! If you can't interact here in a civil manner then don't partake in the discussions on this forum. Next person to cross the line will be getting a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm sure the management would like to know as said above as also letting the bin company know may be a option also as they don't want to be caught dumping illegal items and getting fines.

Email or write to both and if you don't want to leave your name use a seperate email for replies;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

take photos. make a complaint to the management company or whoever is running the facilities.
    disposal of paint is supposed to be done in a correct manner.

i definitely wouldn't ever advise a person speak to another about issues like this. it's clear that if he were a decent person he wouldn't be doing this sort of thing in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

I rang the management company a little while ago to report them. They said they where aware of the ongoing problem but didn't know who was doing it so now they have a culprit they will act on it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

ClubDead wrote: »

Just my two pence but from living near some v. dodgy families in the past any time I had a problem with their kids or anything else I said it to them and they always sorted it. The dodgier the person the less they want to crap on their own doorsteps from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check with the bin company what you can and cannot put into their bins. They may take a dim view of lots of paint, and letting the management company might light a fire under the arse of the MC.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Detached Retina

They probably will act now,may take a month or so for it to take affect, our management agent sent out warning letters to everyone listing things that are not acceptable to be disposing of in the communal bins,noting that they know who they are etc and action would be taken. Was good as there was the xmas tree debacles and being attacked by trampolene's (it takes talent to just about get them into a large communal bin, but was managed!) and those small glass houses, broken up,when chucking in your bin bags was not fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Penalty

Also get on to the local welfare office as they are probably claiming too and working.

How did you jump to that assumption from the OP's post????

They put paint in a bin and you accuse them of welfare fraud? I can see it now welfare checking people's green and brown bins to see who's a welfare cheat.

OP you have done the right thing hopefully it will now be sorted.

Advertisement