Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a manual license

• 20-11-2014 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭

Lads a friend of mine has a full license for to drive autos, how do they go about getting one for a manual? just resit the test in a manual is it or what?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

That's the way it used to be anyway. You wouldn't know these days. Will he need to show a certain number of driving lessons in a manual car? Best check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

emeldc wrote: »
    That's the way it used to be anyway. You wouldn't know these days. Will he need to show a certain number of driving lessons in a manual car? Best check.

It's a girl, but she's been driving a manual for the last 4+ years, which kinda concerned me when she mentioned she only had one for autos yknow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

It's a girl, but she's been driving a manual for the last 4+ years, which kinda concerned me when she mentioned she only had one for autos yknow?

Jeez, she needs to get that one sorted. I think that's the same as not having a license at all. I don't think her insurance would be valid either. She doesn't hold a license to drive the said vehicle. She would have lied on the proposal form.

emeldc wrote: »
    Jeez, she needs to get that one sorted. I think that's the same as not having a license at all. I don't think her insurance would be valid either. She doesn't hold a license to drive the said vehicle. She would have lied on the proposal form.

That's pretty much what I told her, queue massive panic attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

From the well researched wiki:
    11. Can I do my driving test in an automatic?

Yes. However, if you pass your test in an automatic you will receive a restricted full license that allows you to drive only automatics. To remove that restriction, you will have to obtain another learner permit and take your test again in a manual vehicle.

I've heard others, more in the know than I, say the same. L plates, Learner Permit, and retest are required. Definitely tell her to stop driving now!

• Advertisement

From the well researched wiki:

I've heard others, more in the know than I, say the same. L plates, Learner Permit, and retest are required. Definitely tell her to stop driving now!

Oh deary :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Oh deary :o

Yeah, colossal pain in the hole for what it is. I believe in the UK your automatic license serves as a learner permit for a manual, but not here.

Just told her there, that didn't go down well to say the least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

The good news is that she should have no issues passing the test in a manual then - just need to get out of those bad habits and work on mirrors etc. :D

Advertisement