Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stanley range repair-landlord won't pay

Options
  • 20-11-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

question:

My stanley range in my rented house needed repair and service.Hadn't been serviced since 2011, I move in 2013.
    It needed a new clock, new internal oil lines and other bits and pieces.The bill came up to 431 euro's.
    Landlord now states this is my responsibility.

Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Did you get the landlord's consent to get the repairs done? If not and you'd done it and paid already, it might be hard to get them to pay.

On the other hand it sounds like it's the landlords responsibility to do this once notified. If they called now to look at it, its working perfectly so they done need to do anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

There may well be legal obligations that the landlord has not adhered to by not servicing it. I would simply deduct what you paid from the next rent.

Is the range included in the inventory, or description of the property? If he is advertising it as furnished, then a cooker should be expected. Why should a tenant repair the cooker, and perhaps its your heating system too?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is it the only heating and/or cooking appliance in the house?

Who said that it needed repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

It's the only heating appliance in the house. It wasn't working.if something doesn't work it needs repairs.I had an electrician in who stated a fuse was gone that runs the clock.It melted the clock wehn i switched it on.I informed my landlord.He didn't respond.
    I wouldn't have any heating without it.whe the engineer opened it the old carbon inside it was heaped up. It was also the same engineer who serviced it 3 years ago.that was in line with the sticker on the door.

the lease agreement says:
    The tenant shall be responsible for all maintenance to internal water, heating and electricity fittings.

And yes, the property came furnished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mod Note:

Considering this clause...
    doubter wrote: »
    The tenant shall be responsible for all maintenance to internal water, heating and electricity fittings.

Then this advice is wreckless (not to mention against the charter the way you've phrased it)
    There may well be legal obligations that the landlord has not adhered to by not servicing it. I would simply deduct what you paid from the next rent.

Is the range included in the inventory, or description of the property? If he is advertising it as furnished, then a cooker should be expected. Why should a tenant repair the cooker, and perhaps its your heating system too?

You are not permitted to withhold rent without the explicit consent of the landlord - do not give advice that is contrary to the RTA 2004 and breaches the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So given that

what makes you think that the LL is responsible for the bill?

I would have thought that the situation was pretty clear-cut. (Though I would never have signed a lease like that myself.)

So given that

what makes you think that the LL is responsible for the bill?

I would have thought that the situation was pretty clear-cut. (Though I would never have signed a lease like that myself.)

there's a legal difference between maintenance and repair.You MAINTAIN a well functioning piece of equipment by doing the required services. Repair falls outside that. Especially given the fact that it wasn't serviced for years.The build up of carbon was massive.But it's grand. i've contacted a legal adviser and I'm in my right.Landlord had agreed to pay. Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

No idea of the legality but I would always assume that normal repairs etc are done and paid for by the landlord. I would not organize for anything like that without the landlords consent, if I did then I would expect to be paying.

Ive never had a very bad landlord so anything urgent has always been taken care of quickly, if you have been waiting an unduly long period for the landlord to act then that would be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

question:

My stanley range in my rented house needed repair and service.Hadn't been serviced since 2011, I move in 2013.
    It needed a new clock, new internal oil lines and other bits and pieces.The bill came up to 431 euro's.
    Landlord now states this is my responsibility.

Is this true?

Its true if you didn't give the LL adequate notice in writing and chance to repair the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

If the lease said you had to sacrifice your first born son to appease the landlord gods, the guards would still be bringing you down to the station to answer questions with a view to pressing charges against you, and not the landlord so just because it's in the lease doesn't make it a-okay.

Call threshold because that sounds like a nonsense clause.

Advertisement