Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billpay Contract

• 20-11-2014 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi

I have a question regarding the billpay contracts.

I have signed up for a 24 month contract and received a new phone. I didn't get a chance to to insure it as I wanted to do so with a third party company but 3 days later I got held up and robbed.

Now I filed a report and rang the company straight away telling them what happened and that I have the gardi involved and so on but the guy was just so blunt and a dick on the phone he just gave me the option to opt out of the contract for a 1000 euro or buy a new phone.

Now because I said I will pay the difference on the phone and could they not understand the situation I was in and help me out in any way but he kept prompting me to pay the 1000 euro or buy a new phone. For that reason alone I don't want to pay them what are the consequences of ignoring the letters and cancelling my direct debit ?

I know its partially my fault but the way they went on was inhuman so anyone have any insight on this maybe from experience or ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭whippet

You have signed up to pay for a service for 24 months .. In return you received a subsidised phone (at a fraction of the real cost) and the availability of this service for the time specified.

I don't see what your problem is with the company ... They have provided what they said they would and you want them to finance your problem (theft of phone) .. You don't need to use that particular phone for the service .. You can use probably any phone. Should you choose not to use the service you still owe them the money.

I am sure you were offered insurance when taking out the contract so you were fully aware of the consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Celica3SGE

whippet wrote: »
    You have signed up to pay for a service for 24 months .. In return you received a subsidised phone (at a fraction of the real cost) and the availability of this service for the time specified.

I don't see what your problem is with the company ... They have provided what they said they would and you want them to finance your problem (theft of phone) .. You don't need to use that particular phone for the service .. You can use probably any phone. Should you choose not to use the service you still owe them the money.

I am sure you were offered insurance when taking out the contract so you were fully aware of the consequences

I understand that, but in this particular situation I have agreed to pay the different of the phone cost which is 450 euro, and the cancellation policy is 550 euro ?

I understand fully on how the contract works but I'm not just looking to cancel because I've changed my mind, its because I got help up with a dangerous weapon 3 days after getting the phone on top of other things that were taken, and under particular circumstances they could understand and try help in some way or other. But instead I get **** off the customer service guy who did not give a single ... about the situation and did not want to help in anyway but only to try get more money out of me.

So the question still stands on what are the consequences of not paying for the contract ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

A judgement of €1000 against you. People have been brought to court for less.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

PS you are being totally unreasonable to expect a phone company to do anything other than honour what you agreed in a contract.

godtabh wrote: »
    PS you are being totally unreasonable to expect a phone company to do anything other than honour what you agreed in a contract.

But even with a bank loan, credit card loan or even a UPC contract you have 14 days to opt out of the agreement. But with a phone bill you don't even have 3, and even under the circumstances where the law is involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Celica3SGE wrote: »
    But even with a bank loan or a credit card loan you have 14 days to opt out of the agreement. But with a phone bill you don't have.

You do have a cooling off period. at least with vodafone. But the phone has to be unused and in a saleable condition. which wouldnt apply to you as you didnt have the phone anymore. The cooling off period terminates as soon as you use the service.

Beano wrote: »
    You do have a cooling off period. at least with vodafone. But the phone has to be unused and in a saleable condition. which wouldnt apply to you as you didnt have the phone anymore. The cooling off period terminates as soon as you use the service.

But I have agreed to pay the full price of the phone from the shop as this is not just a normal matter, and they still want a 550 euro cancellation policy. I could understand if i was kicking up a fuss if i lost the phone and was making these demands but its not the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Celica3SGE wrote: »
    But I have agreed to pay the full price of the phone from the shop as this is not just a normal matter, and they still want a 550 euro cancellation policy. I could understand if i was kicking up a fuss if i lost the phone and was making these demands but its not the matter.

To be blunt, you being held up is not the problem of the phone company. They expected x amount of revenue from you over 24 months which was accepted by both you and the phone company via contract.

Either continue to pay the phone bill each month and use a different phone or pay the buyout. Those are your options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I don't quite get why you just don't buy a phone at full price and use it on the contract you have, given that you are willing to pay for the phone.

Anyways you might have something stateable with unfair contract terms regs - given the amount involved I'd consider speaking to a solicitor. Expecting X amount of revenue from you is fine but rather sensibly the legislation doesn't allow one party impose a disproportionate penalty on the other without providing for a similar compensation should the situation be reversed.

That said there is going to be a legitimate cost to the business in terms of the subsidised phone, admin and provisioning etc.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Advertisement