Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black thorn sloe berry bush

• 20-11-2014 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I noticed a very big and fruitful bush of blackthorn, the berries are large as a 10c coin.
    I would like to plant a few bushes from this tree but I'm not sure what I should do
    1. Take a cutting, dip it in root powder and plant indoors for the moment or
    2. Chance germinating the seed from the berries

Can you suggest
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭macraignil

If you take cuttings putting them in pots in a clear plastic bag to reduce evaporation from the leaves until roots have started to grow is said to increase the chances of success. Letting the cutting dry out and avoiding rot setting in are the major problems.

If you want to grow from the berries you should let the soft part of the fruit rot away first and exposre to cold should signal to the seed that it has passed through winter and is entering a new growing season when it warms up. You can also wash off the soft part of the fruit from the seed but I have only tried the simpler method of leaving the fruit rot before planting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Look for suckers at a distance from the main trunk. Dig 5-6 inches away from the sucker and you'l get a decent root.

Advertisement