Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is your advertised Broadband 100Mb service in Mega Bytes or Mega Bits per second

Options
  • 20-11-2014 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

Is your Broadband 100Mb service in Mega Bytes or Mega Bits per second

thanks 
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

JoeySully wrote: »

thanks 
    Joe
    Mb is Mega Bits

MB is Mega Bytes

Internet provider speeds are usually sold in Mb per second.  100MB would be insanely fast so you're almost certainly not getting that from Eircom

1 byte = 8 bits so 100MB would be 800Mb per second

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

x43r0 wrote: »

thanks 
    Joe
    Mb is Mega Bits

MB is Mega Bytes

Internet provider speeds are usually sold in Mb per second.  100MB would be insanely fast so you're almost certainly not getting that from Eircom

Ok thanks. Maybe you could advise your online chat employees of this because 2 of them have told me its MEGA BYTES.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Ok thanks. Maybe you could advise your online chat employees of this because 2 of them have told me its MEGA BYTES.

Joey it seemed like you already knew the answer to your question.... What's the big deal anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

x43r0 wrote: »

thanks 
    Joe
    Mb is Mega Bits

MB is Mega Bytes

Just to clarify - I don't work for Eircom. Just saw the question and thought to offer some info

That's shockingly bad if they told you that though. 

Mb vs MB is a basic principle that every tech support person should know the difference between

corglass wrote: »

Joey it seemed like you already knew the answer to your question.... What's the big deal anyway
    No i didn't know the answer,  twice I was told that i was being quoted a MB speed per second when actually it was Mega bits per second.

its difficult to compare speeds when I'm being told that the speed quoted is 8 times its actual speed... 100MB is 800 Mbit/s

Eircom sell broadband in M bits per second, I'm not sure why all employees don't quote them as such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

corglass wrote: »

No i didn't know the answer,  twice I was told that i was being quoted a MB speed per second when actually it was Mega bits per second.

its difficult to compare speeds when I'm being told that the speed quoted is 8 times its actual speed... 100MB is 800 Mbit/s

You sell broadband in M bits per second, I'm not sure why all employees don't quote them as such.
    Hi JoeySully

I agree, the WebChat agents should know this, I'll pass on your feedback.

Thanks

Al

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Thanks
    No problem at all JoeySully

Thanks & apologies for any inconvenience created
    Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Ironically even if it was advertised in KB/s it would still be misleading