Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard disk issue

Options
  • 20-11-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’ve got a machine running Win 7 that’s set up with an SSD as the boot disk containing the OS and any installed programs, and a second conventional HD containing user folders, pagefile and media (recorded programs, photos, music etc.). All has been well for well over a year.

Last week I started noticing that the second disk was dropping off the drive list. I’d boot the machine and I’d get a message saying that the OS had to create a temporary pagefile – the second disk would be gone – not visible in the drive list. A reboot would generally fix it – the second disk would be visible and all data would be in place. My initial reaction was to consider that the disk was faulty but running diagnostics showed up no obvious issues.
    Last night the disk disappeared again, but this time for good. I could see the disk in the disk management console but it was reported as being unformatted. I figured that the partition table had been deleted and initially tried some rescue software to see if I could restore the partition but no joy so far.

I swapped out the disk and replaced it with a spare and rebooted. All seemed fine. I rebooted again and bang! The replacement was gone! It was showing up as an unformatted disk!

So now I’m thinking that the original disk was ok. But if it was ok, what’s causing the problem? Is it an OS issue – or a hardware issue? The machine is booting fine – the SSD is ok, but the second disk keeps disappearing. I’m going to try swapping out the SATA cable and/or swapping to a different SATA connector on the mainboard. After that I’m a bit stumped…

Apologies for the length of the post - if anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful to hear them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are they on the same SATA Controller? After changing the cable the next port of call would be the controller. If the board has two try moving it to the other one.

Also Sepherucus had an issue with drives dropping offline recently that I think he's fixed, check his "Home Server" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Hi Ed E,

Thanks for the reply. I've swapped the SATA connector position, so far the second disk has remained online and visible. The mainboard only has the one controller - its an itx board. I hope that its not failing...
    Having a look at Sepherucus WHS thread - thanks for pointing me at it.

Gyck

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shaunamona

Hey a

My pc just died (age 9) can I use the memory cars or whatever from it as an external storage thingy for films and all?

Advertisement