Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combined Care switching GP

Options
  • 20-11-2014 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I attended my GP who was situated near my workplace for all of my antenatal visits under combined care (I didn't have to pay except for the initial visit). This GP is not close to where I live now (we've moved house) and I had a chat with her on my final visit and she was fine with me switching to another GP close to where I live once the baby arrived. She said I'd be able to get the two postnatal visits covered for free from the new GP.

Myself and my new baby were discharged from hospital yesterday and this morning I rang the new GP's office to book the two week appointment. Initially I was told the surgery was not taking on any new patients and after I argued a bit I was put on hold and told later that if I wanted to I could attend the doctor for the two weekly and six weekly visit but that I would have to pay for each visit as I was not a medical card holder.

Has anyone come across anything like this before? I was assured by my original doctor I could switch and still get the combined care visits for free. I don't mind making any calls to the social welfare to explain this or to fill out any relevant forms to help the switch. Surely it's not *that* unusual to switch GP at some stage during the time of the combined care and continue with receiving combined care.

Any info greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I brought my daughter to a different gp when she was 1 week old as he could diagnose tongue tie. I presumed I'd have to pay but they told me it was free because babies under 6 weeks are free for gp care.

It sounds to me like they don't want any more patients so they're fobbing you off. Can you go to another go near you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I'm new to the area so think there is only the one GP practice with 3 doctors. I'll look into it though. To be honest the way I was spoken to on the phone doesn't make me want to deal with this practice but they are the closest to where I live and the most convenient especially with a baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I'd ring your PHN for advice, see what they can do.

As far as I know, you should absolutely be entitled to your two-week and six-week checks under a new GP; at the same time, if the new GP has no capacity for new patients, unfortunately not much can be done about it really? But your PHN could maybe advise you of other GPs in the area. Or she could possibly arrange for a home visit or something similar. I'd definitely talk to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's nothing to do with a medical card. I wonder did you run into the Receptionist From Hell instead of the reasonable doctor. Sometimes they hire battleaxes for administration.

The phn rang me this afternoon and I asked her. She asked someone else in her office and confirmed that because my original GP had filled out the forms only she would receive the money from the state for my visits and the baby visits and that a new GP would not be able to claim the money. I still don't understand how there isn't a way to deal with a switch. Surely people move house all the time during their term of care, a lot earlier than me too. It just seems very strange. The phn advised I try to travel to my GP to save the 60e a visit and look to switch GP for the baby after.

• Advertisement

That is crazy! I would contact HSE to see what they suggest - as you say, it must be something that happens quite regularly. Pain in the ass to be dealing with this when you have a newborn though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I just remembered that I changesd gp when my son was 6 months as our first doctor only opened until 1pm so arranging the vaccines when I returned to work would've been a pain. I signed a form in the gp's surgery to say they were now new gp. Simple as that. You'll need to do this at some stage anyway for the vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I was in the exact same position as you: new GP filled out a form and we got to have the 2 & 6 week visits covered by new GP. This was in 2011 though so cutbacks etc may have affected things. Worth asking again I think?

Maybe it would be worth ringing again and asking to get it in writing from the GP (and not their receptionist) exactly why they're refusing the check-up appointments for your newborn. It's unlikely they'll give you the letter, but it'll hopefully give them the kick up the arse to figure out what admin has to be done on their side to sort this out. Maybe they need to get you to fill in a form, maybe they need to send an invoice to your old GP, I don't know - but they should!

Obviously it can be done, and I'm sure it happens all the time. If you think about it, many healthy women rarely visit the doctor or have a "regular" GP, until they get pregnant. I'm sure many (like myself!) just pick the handiest GP, there's bound to be loads of cases where the woman isn't happy and chooses to switch to a new GP during/shortly after pregnancy.

While I'd be put off by that attitude, bear in mind that the GPs in the practice might actually be great - it might be a case that you encountered a receptionist on a power trip!

To be honest I'm a bit disgusted that this could happen. Some new mothers see these visits as a chore and aren't bothered attending them - if they had to pay for them, they almost certainly wouldn't bother - and the child is falling through the cracks in the system from an early age. I don't think that the GP should be allowed to refuse those appointments when the baby is so young ... if they can't manage to take you and your baby on as long-term patients, fair enough, but it's awful that they'd refuse you even the two-week check. Sure the baby is still waking and feeding every couple of hours, you'll probably be physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted two weeks in, it's still an epic task to get yourself and baby packed up and ready to leave the house ... trying to sort this out, when it's their responsibility to know the procedure, is the last thing you need to be dealing with right now!

I have to admit, I did cry after the phone call to the new GP. I had a c section and the thoughts of traveling a distance to my orig GP fill me with dread. I know this new GP herself is very good. My mother attends her. I asked my mother could she put in a word for me but she said the secretary one is indeed a battleaxe. I might see can I ring the hse this afternoon and see can a switch be done.

• Advertisement

bovril wrote: »
    I have to admit, I did cry after the phone call to the new GP. I had a c section and the thoughts of traveling a distance to my orig GP fill me with dread. I know this new GP herself is very good. My mother attends her. I asked my mother could she put in a word for me but she said the secretary one is indeed a battleaxe. I might see can I ring the hse this afternoon and see can a switch be done.

It's just crap though that you're having this extra stress at a time when it's the last thing you need. :mad: I needed to travel to see our GP for the two-week check, and it WAS a bit of an expedition - probably the first "big" trip out I attempted with just me and baby. And an anti-climax when the GP told me, "Well, there's very little we need to check for baby this time around - the six-week check is for baby, but this check is moreso for mammy, to make sure you're doing OK" - if I'd known that, I'd have been far better off relaxing at home, rather than spending several hours on public transport to make the appointment! :D (They do at least weigh the baby, which is of course important!)

If you can get your partner, mother, or anyone else to do the phoning and paperwork on your behalf, please do!

I rang the hse info line and the lady said it was definitely possible to switch although she didn't know if it was too late for me given my baby is 9 days old. She gave me the number for the maternity and infant care office for my area. This is the office that process the forms for combined care. I rang this office and they said you can switch GP at any time no problem. She said it's just a matter of the new GP filling out the combined care form again and they will get the money for the visits they do. I have this girl's name and number and she says she deals with the GP practice in question and to try them again with this info and to mention my section too. I'm going to head up to the office tomorrow with my mother and partner so they can help out if I get upset. Fingers crossed I can make them take us on as patients. It shouldn't be this hard!!

Just wondering, did you get sorted in the end?

Not really sorted yet. The Sat secretary is not the battleaxe and couldn't say they'd take me on as a patient. I filled out a form and the battleaxe is to ring me tomorrow.

Got sorted today. It was only because my mother called up to the secretary and explained the situation. I got a phone call later and was told I should have said who I was last week (ie my maiden name). I don't agree with their policy on new patients at all but I am relieved I have a very short trip from now on to the GP versus a massive trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Very interested reading this as I may be doing the exact same thing when I have my baby next summer. So thanks for posting back with the updates.
    Also weird...battleaxe saying you should have said who you are. So she would only help you cause she knew your family that's a good one!!

Advertisement