Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China import duty and VAT

Options
  • 20-11-2014 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Not a business yet.
    Looking to import a few boxes of promotional items from China.

Would like to ensure that I pay VAT and duties.
    So as opposed to waiting for An Post or courier to identify my liabilities, what route can I take to come forward and settle myself?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭NotaSheep

There are good information leaflets available from Revenue, google postal guide revenue customs (sorry can't post links as I'm new).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Revenue guide this should cover everything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Hi.
    Not a business yet.
    Looking to import a few boxes of promotional items from China.

Would like to ensure that I pay VAT and duties.
    So as opposed to waiting for An Post or courier to identify my liabilities, what route can I take to come forward and settle myself?

Many thanks

Hello Andrea,

It is always good to inform yourself in advance about potential Duty and VAT liabilities. However, ultimately if the goods come in through DHL or An Post, they will do the customs entry. That is, unless you tell them in advance that you will be doing it yourself or that an agent will submit the entry on your behalf.

Revenue these days will accept payment by bank transfer. However, what you lodge to revenue has to be allocated to the TAN account of the carrier / customs broker who is clearing the shipment. Revenue operates accounts for Duty / VAT purposes with two main banks ; Allied Irish Banks and Bank of Ireland.

If you want to PM me with the details of what your promotional items actually are, I would be happy to cut through the forest of information and give you a proforma calculation of your liabilities, without any obligation.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

I don't think An Post will do it not so long ago I had to go down to Dublin Port with a postal order to pay for entry costs was a pain in the ****! Told the supplier to just send DHL in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hello Jimmii,

That is not an An Post decission. Just like your postal draft or bank draft has to be allocated to the An Post TAN account (The draft was made out to Revenue), so your EFT can be allocated to the AN Post TAN account.

It may well be that An Post is still in the 19th century when it comes to sorting out payments to Revenue. I would be happy to explain the process and give you the bank account nrs of Revenue with AIB and BOI so that you don't have to go to the bank, collect a draft and then lodge it with Revenue.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Advertisement

It was just a one off so doesn't really matter I just couldn't believe that was the way it was meant to be done!!

Advertisement