Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tommy Walsh retires from Kilkenny inter-county hurling

• 20-11-2014 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭

If somebody was ever deserving of his/her own thread, then it's Kilkenny's Tommy Walsh.

As a Kilkenny man I'm a bit lost for words at the moment, so all I'm going to say is that in my opinion, he was the best hurler I have ever seen. And he is an absolute gentleman as well.

Tommy released a statement on local radio this morning:
    I wish to announce my retirement from intercounty hurling. For the last 13 years I have had the time of my life, lived my dream and have memories that will stay with me forever.

Firstly and most importantly I want to sincerely thank my wife and family for their continuous encouragement, support and drive throughout my intercounty career.

I have been very fortunate and privileged to play along side terrific teammates and I thank them for being just that. It was also an absolute honour to play against many outstanding hurlers from all over the country.

I would like to thank Brian Cody for his loyalty throughout all my years with Kilkenny and for believing in me as a player.

Most importantly I want to thank each one of the management teams since 2002 for their support and advice, also the medics, back room staff and especially the one and only Rakard Cody who has been a great friend to us all.

The county board have always been hugely supportive and have always put the players first, this of which I will never forget as it laid the foundations for our recent success. Equally I would like to thank my employers Bank Of Ireland for their understanding and support throughout my intercounty career.

My club Tullaroan has always been very special to me. I owe them for the amazing opportunity I got to play for Kilkenny. This is mainly down to the teachers in the primary school and all the devoted coaches in the club. I will forever be indebted to you all. I will always be grateful for my time spent in St Kieran’s College and UCC where I learned valuable lessons that were of huge benefit to my hurling career.

Thanks to my friends and mentor from outside the county set up, who challenged and supported me aswell as always being there for advice when I needed it most. This I will never forget.

I’d like to thank the GPA for their constant support of players all over the country. They provide many valuable services which deal with the welfare of their players. This I know is a huge comfort to all players and the GPA deserve huge credit for this.

Last but not least I finally want to thank the supporters. From day one they showered me with support. I will never forget their continued encouragement, especially in my final year, simply thank you.

I wish the management and players continued success for the coming years.

Yours always
    Tommy Walsh

Honours:

All-Ireland Senior Championship:
    Winner (9): 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014
    Runner-up (2): 2004, 2010

Leinster Senior Championship:
    Winner (9): 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014

National League:
    Winner (7): 2003, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014
    Runner-up (1): 2007, 2011

All-Ireland U-21 Championship:
    Winner (2): 2003, 2004

Leinster U-21 Championship:
    Winner (2): 2003, 2004

Walsh Cup:
    Winner (6): 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

Railway Cup (Inter-Provincial Championship):
    Winner (6): 2003, 2006, 2008 (c), 2009, 2012, 2014
    Runner-up (1): 2005

Composite Rules/Shinty:
    Winner (3): 2009 (c), 2010 (c), 2012
    Runner-up (1): 2008

All-Ireland Senior Colleges Championship:
    Winner (1): 2000

National Féile na nGael Championship:
    Winner (1): 1997

All Stars:
    9 - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Texaco Hurler of the Year:
    1- 2009

All Stars Hurler of the Year:
    1 - 2009

GPA Hurler of the Year:
    1 - 2009

555487.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Runner up in 2005 also?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

id say he was the greatest as well (of my generation). just ahead of shefflin

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭donnem33

dcrosskid wrote: »
    Runner up in 2005 also?

No, Cork beat Galway in the final of 2005

iconic photo that one

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

No surprise that he retired I suppose but still a shock to the system when it becomes reality. He will be a loss not just to Kilkenny followers, but hurling followers and indeed Irish sport in general. Many iconic moments spring to mind, the catch against Tipp in the 2011 final pictured above certainly is one of them. If memory serves me he delivered a beautiful diagonal cross to Shefflin immediately after, which was dispatched over the bar.

Tullaroan's relegation this year may have been a factor in his decision. Perhaps he feels he needs to dedicate all his effort and concentration on the club next year to try achieve an immediate return to senior. His natural competitiveness would not allow him warm the Kilkenny bench for another year or 2 in order to potentially collect a 10th celtic cross.

I remember one of his earliest games for Kilkenny against Waterford in Walsh Park in the league, either 2002 or 2003. He was corner back on John Mullane who was already after establishing himself as a handful for any defender. It was obvious straight away though that Tommy had something about him and wasn't in the least over awed by the occasion. I have a vague memory of DJ giving an exhibition from midfield on Tony Browne the same day.

He gave us many great years, many great displays, many great memories. I'm going to dig out the DVD of the 2009 final tonight and sit back and enjoy watching him in his pomp.

Thanks for everything Tommy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

No surprise that he retired I suppose but still a shock to the system when it becomes reality. He will be a loss not just to Kilkenny followers, but hurling followers and indeed Irish sport in general. Many iconic moments spring to mind, the catch against Tipp in the 2011 final pictured above certainly is one of them. If memory serves me he delivered a beautiful diagonal cross to Shefflin immediately after, which was dispatched over the bar.

Tullaroan's relegation this year may have been a factor in his decision. Perhaps he feels he needs to dedicate all his effort and concentration on the club next year to try achieve an immediate return to senior. His natural competitiveness would not allow him warm the Kilkenny bench for another year or 2 in order to potentially collect a 10th celtic cross.

I remember one of his earliest games for Kilkenny against Waterford in Walsh Park in the league, either 2002 or 2003. He was corner back on John Mullane who was already after establishing himself as a handful for any defender. It was obvious straight away though that Tommy had something about him and wasn't in the least over awed by the occasion. I have a vague memory of DJ giving an exhibition from midfield on Tony Browne the same day.

He gave us many great years, many great displays, many great memories. I'm going to dig out the DVD of the 2009 final tonight and sit back and enjoy watching him in his pomp.

Thanks for everything Tommy.
    He actually started on Paul O'Brien that day and was a spare man for the last twenty minutes after Brian Flannery was sent off. His reading in that second half was great for a man making his debut. I remember when Kilkenny played Dublin a few years back and it was the first time that they showed player possessions and Tommy had nearly double his nearest challenger. An amazing tough high fielding hurler

hopefully he will be on the late late some night. would be interesting.

i must admit it was kind of sad not to see him one final time in this years all ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Tommy Walsh is the reason i started to watch and love hurling. Never backed away from a challenge or when an opponent got the better of him. I lost count the amount of times i defended him in a pub from tipp or Wexford lads saying he was a dirty player etc.. As a Dublin supporter i will miss him playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

As a Wexford supporter, I've had my fair share of heartbreak and demoralising days from Tommy and the other KK lads. But I am genuinely saddened to see him hang up the hurl. The most naturally gifted hurler of my life-time and one of the biggest GAA icons in modern times too. Really thought the way Kilkenny's season was progressing this year, and with Cody's knack of shuffling the pack, that he was going to be re-instated into the starting team for the replayed AI final. Wasn't to be unfortunately.

Will seem odd not seeing that trademark red helmet rising to pluck another ball from the sky. A real loss for fans of the game.

Kudos to a great career though Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Listening to KCLR from England this morning in the office and my workmates thought someone had died by the look on my face! Anyway check out my tribute "tommy walsh hurling song" and "up for the match - kilkenny hurling song" on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Roquentin wrote: »
    hopefully he will be on the late late some night. would be interesting.

i must admit it was kind of sad not to see him one final time in this years all ireland.

I don't know about that Roquentin, Ryan Tubardy hasn't a clue about hurling. Hearing him on 2nd Captains or Off the Ball would be far more interesting as the lads actually know something about hurling.

I would be very interested on his thoughts of his final year particularly but considering he keeps a low profile generally I wouldn't be holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I don't know about that Roquentin, Ryan Tubardy hasn't a clue about hurling. Hearing him on 2nd Captains or Off the Ball would be far more interesting as the lads actually know something about hurling.

I would be very interested on his thoughts of his final year particularly but considering he keeps a low profile generally I wouldn't be holding my breath.

A hurler of his stature deserves to be on RTEs flagship but your right about Tubridy.
    Second Captains would be a better idea for interview quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Is there more behind this story? It strikes me as odd that he got such little opportunities all year. You could play him anywhere on the field.

Although I hated him at times, I certainly respected his ability. One of the greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I'd be very surprised if Tommy does any interviews. He's no daw. He'd expect to be asked about 2014. He'd still be close to a lot of the lads on the panel and any insight into the camp would be frowned upon.

citykat wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if Tommy does any interviews. He's no daw. He'd expect to be asked about 2014. He'd still be close to a lot of the lads on the panel and any insight into the camp would be frowned upon.

From the neutral point of view, it's frustrating to have this omerta. As a sports fan, it's a pity we can't understand one of Ireland's greatest teams better. Obviously, they're perfectly entitled to keep things private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

hardybuck wrote: »
    Is there more behind this story? It strikes me as odd that he got such little opportunities all year. You could play him anywhere on the field.

Although I hated him at times, I certainly respected his ability. One of the greats.
    There was talk he and Cody had a falling out but realistically when he was on the field this year his performances were a shadow of what they had been. He was too great of a player to resign himself to the bench behind his own younger brother and so it was time to go. Sad, but that's sport.

There was talk he and Cody had a falling out but realistically when he was on the field this year his performances were a shadow of what they had been. He was too great of a player to resign himself to the bench behind his own younger brother and so it was time to go. Sad, but that's sport.

Sure, but he wasn't really on the field this year. I think he played one bad league game and that was it?

Personally, I thought Shefflin was a shadow of himself this year. He was blown out of it completely in a few games he was brought on. Still, Cody persevered with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Sure, but he wasn't really on the field this year. I think he played one bad league game and that was it?

Personally, I thought Shefflin was a shadow of himself this year. He was blown out of it completely in a few games he was brought on. Still, Cody persevered with him.

Tommy came on in a few games in championship this year and it never clicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

From the neutral point of view, it's frustrating to have this omerta. As a sports fan, it's a pity we can't understand one of Ireland's greatest teams better. Obviously, they're perfectly entitled to keep things private.

Is there not a certain amount of secrecy with each team especially the successful ones? I don't follow football too much but I was struck by how Fitzmaurice handled himself in interviews - just like a young Cody!

citykat wrote: »
    Is there not a certain amount of secrecy with each team especially the successful ones? I don't follow football too much but I was struck by how Fitzmaurice handled himself in interviews - just like a young Cody!

Certainly there is. Fitzmaurice even went the extra step of closing training sessions to the public, which appeared to pay off for him. With the amount of tactics in football now you can see method to his madness.

Regarding the omerta, we've had some excellent GAA books over the years which give us an insight. Donal Og Cusack. We got insight into Clare during the Loughnane era via Davy Fitzgerald's very revealing autobiography. Daly has one coming out shortly I understand. Liam Dunne's was very good. The book which spent a year with the Waterford footballers was brilliant.

I think it's appropriate to lift the lid on things a little once an appropriate period of time has passed. Like freedom of information if you like!

Professional sports are far more comfortable about interacting in the media. While it's no surprise as these are professionals, you'd also think the stakes are higher for them as there is a lot of money involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Allround best player ever in my view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Badabing wrote: »
    Tommy Walsh is the reason i started to watch and love hurling. Never backed away from a challenge or when an opponent got the better of him. I lost count the amount of times i defended him in a pub from tipp or Wexford lads saying he was a dirty player etc.. As a Dublin supporter i will miss him playing.

Outstanding player. One of the best stickmen ever to play the game. As a Tipp man, I never really felt he was a dirty hurler, just tough as nails.
    To be honest I don't get the "dirty" thing at inter-county level, it is probably the safest level you can play GAA at. I can't think of a single genuinely dirty inter-county hurler playing at the moment and the only really dirty belts I have seen that immediately come to mind are a Dublin player on Paul Curran in a league game in Parnell, Duignan on Forde of Clare and our own lad on Tommy Walsh in 2009.

As a lad who spent most of his career playing junior hurling, I just don't see the "dirty" at inter-county level all that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭randd1

slegs wrote: »
    Allround best player ever in my view

And has the all-stars to prove it.

Some career he's had, incredible and at his best unplayable. A legend of a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

A true sportsman, a lion on the pitch. One of the greatest ever to grace the pitch.

I hope whatever his future endeavours are, that they will be as successful as his hurling days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

An absolute legend, they'll still be talking about this man in a hundred years. Such an exciting player to watch, it's often said of inspirational defenders but with Tommy it really was the case that a catch or clearance by him was worth a score for Kilkenny, such was the lift it gave the team and supporters. The hurl was like an extension of him and he wielded it like a orchestra conductor wields his baton.

Thanks for the memories Tommy

767929.jpg

556592.jpg

dsD7qA1.jpg
    EIN3Zlb.jpg
    h2UVQOO.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Fwank wizzo

No question,he was the best all round hurler we've had the pleasure of watching out of this current crop.
    I wouldn't have called him a stylist and it used to drive me mad sometimes when I'd see him skying a clearance in on top of his forwards but by Jayus that man has some drive,courage and strength in him.Cute as a fox as well.
    A Tipp man put it beautifully to me one day when he said that "if a ball was there to be won under an upturned car that was on fire,I can guarantee you that Tommy Walsh would come out with it in his hand"
    He just refused to be bet.Simple as that and it's highly unlikely we will see his likes again.
    Thanks for the great memories and days you played your part in,Tommy,and all the best to you and yours in the future.
    You'll be never forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

The best I've ever seen.........best wishes for the future Tom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

robbiezero wrote: »
    Outstanding player. One of the best stickmen ever to play the game. As a Tipp man, I never really felt he was a dirty hurler, just tough as nails.
    To be honest I don't get the "dirty" thing at inter-county level, it is probably the safest level you can play GAA at. I can't think of a single genuinely dirty inter-county hurler playing at the moment and the only really dirty belts I have seen that immediately come to mind are a Dublin player on Paul Curran in a league game in Parnell, Duignan on Forde of Clare and our own lad on Tommy Walsh in 2009.

As a lad who spent most of his career playing junior hurling, I just don't see the "dirty" at inter-county level all that much.

However I agree, you'd imagine something like Junior B was the dirtiest at this stage, lads will and do swing on anything.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    <youtube clip>

However I agree, you'd imagine something like Junior B was the dirtiest at this stage, lads will and do swing on anything.

What has that video got to do with the thread? It takes a special kind of bitter langer to come along and post that in a thread celenbrating Tommy Walsh's career. Did anyone shoehorn the video of Tom Kenny hitting Cha Fitz in the balls into the Donal Og retirement thread, no? No, because it's irrelevant.
    And what does the jibberish that accompanies the clip even mean?

Pity you haven't the class of some of the posters from various other counties on here that acknowledged Tommy's achievements and just hide your bitterness towards Kilkenny for once

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Fwank wizzo

The jealousy and bitterness seeping from that Cork yoke is only delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Danville

I believe Tommy won a Walsh Cup medal in 2102 also V Galway in Pearse Stadium. Am I correct?

Danville wrote: »
    I believe Tommy won a Walsh Cup medal in 2102 also V Galway in Pearse Stadium. Am I correct?

no, that was his great great grandson, also called Tommy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Danville wrote: »

I presume you mean 2012 :)
    And I do believe you are right!
    I was actually at the game and all :D
    I'll edit the honours list in the OP.

Kilkenny goalkeeper David Herity has followed in the footsteps of team-mate Tommy Walsh and quit the inter-county scene.

best wishes for the future David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭pintos80

Runner up in 2005 also?

no ,galway beat kk in the all ireland semi final, one of the best games of 00's

Advertisement