Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional Monitors

Options
  • 20-11-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

hi X post from building & upgrading forum

Hi All

quick question, I have a Dell Optiplex 760, i am running a 21 inch monitor of this, i also have 2 17 inch monitors which i would like to add (both if possible) I only have 1 VGA port on the computer (No hdmi connections either) and all the monitors are VGA connections.

What is my best course of action to add another monitor?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

I'm assuming you want to extend your monitors rather than duplicating the same thing on all three?
    You'll need a separate output on your video card per monitor, so you're going to have to buy a new video card with multiple outputs. VGA is pretty much dead however, so you're probably going to need adapters. DVI-VGA is simple, but HDMI-VGA and DP-VGA need an active adapter, which are quite costly.

Best bet is to pick up a video card with 2x DVI connections, then use those with DVI-VGA adapters for the first two, along with your current video card for the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pg141

maki wrote: »
    I'm assuming you want to extend your monitors rather than duplicating the same thing on all three?
    You'll need a separate output on your video card per monitor, so you're going to have to buy a new video card with multiple outputs. VGA is pretty much dead however, so you're probably going to need adapters. DVI-VGA is simple, but HDMI-VGA and DP-VGA need an active adapter, which are quite costly.

Best bet is to pick up a video card with 2x DVI connections, then use those with DVI-VGA adapters for the first two, along with your current video card for the third.

anyone have links to a decent card for a Dell Optiplex 760 Intel Core Duo CPU (E7400 @2.80GHz), 2-4 Ram

any help would be great

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the Optiplex 760 have a DisplayPort as well?

If so you can at least set up duel monitors without any additional graphics cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pg141

notmymark wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the Optiplex 760 have a DisplayPort as well?

If so you can at least set up duel monitors without any additional graphics cards.

sorry mate, what's a display port?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

pg141 wrote: »
    sorry mate, what's a display port?

It is a digital display interface that is meant to replace VGA and DVI. You can still connect one to a VGA / DVI monitor using an adaptor.

It is the bottom right port in the below link:

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3514/aaaaaaaaa.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement