Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Dinner Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 20-11-2014 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

If Blue Ginger can get more than 25 people to book for Christmas lunch/dinner on Christmas day they will open.:):)

If anyone's interested, let them know. These guys can cook.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chinasea wrote: »
    If Blue Ginger can get more than 25 people to book for Christmas lunch/dinner on Christmas day they will open.:):)

If anyone's interested, let them know. These guys can cook.

Wouldn't be my idea of a Christmas dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Any idea what price they are thinking of? A friend of mine was looking for somewhere for Christmas a few weeks back and the cheapest was €70, going up to €130. This weren't fancy schmancy hotels, just run of the mill ones where you would be paying €10-€15 for a lunchtime carvery any other weekend of the year.

I know it's Christmas, and I know you have to pay some staff more (although I reckon there would be plenty who would work it just like any other bank holiday if they aren't particularly religious/don't have family here, etc . . .), and volumes will be down, but to go from (say) €15 to €70 is quite a jump.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

zagmund wrote: »
    I know it's Christmas, and I know you have to pay some staff more (although I reckon there would be plenty who would work it just like any other bank holiday if they aren't particularly religious/don't have family here, etc . . .), and volumes will be down, but to go from (say) €15 to €70 is quite a jump.

Yes there are staff who don't mind doing a stint on Christmas Day but remember that there is no public transport at all on Dec 25th and taxis charge premium prices plus places that are open typically only do one sitting so there is a serious premium to be paid by anyone sitting down to a meal on that day because of the premium wages that staff ask for and deservedly get.

Also bear in mind that the impetus in this case is coming from the customer - this thread is about the OP looking for people to join up, it s not a case of the restaurant owner soliciting for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I know it's coming from the customer. I'm just asking how much the restaurant might be charging. I know someone who would quite happily go there if the price was right.

I wonder if the mosque in Clonskeagh will be open (presumably it will), because if it is then it might be a good idea for people who want/need to get fed on the day and don't want to pay an arm and a leg. We've eaten there a couple of times before and it's always great value, although I admit it would be a little, err, alternative for Christmas day.

z

[edit] while the discussion of taxi fares, etc . . . are interesting, I don't see the direct link. Spar/Petrol stations won't be charging me €7.50 for a litre of milk, just because it cost them more to get the staff there for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

zagmund wrote: »
    I wonder if the mosque in Clonskeagh will be open (presumably it will), because if it is then it might be a good idea for people who want/need to get fed on the day and don't want to pay an arm and a leg. We've eaten there a couple of times before and it's always great value, although I admit it would be a little, err, alternative for Christmas day.

'Alternative' would be the word because you might get a surprise if you went in expecting to get a turkey and ham dinner!

0006b89e-440.jpg0006be2d-440.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

No, I don't know what the charge would be, but I would imagine it could be competitive and could be paid in advance.

They are doing Christmas lunches for €24.95 or so, I noticed an ad hanging over the shop. It would be higher than this also as to make it worth their while, but not on the lines of the Four Seasons €160 + (Almost booked out if not booked out!).

There are people who for a myriad of reasons who don't cook/have someone in their family to cook Christmas dinner for them or indeed want someone to go to the trouble of cooking, but would like to go out for dinner/lunch all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

How extensive is the licence of Blue Ginger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

I know you can get wine, and Irish coffee so that would imply full I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You can get Pints on Draught as well, but limited selection, lager & Guinness IIRC

21/25

Advertisement