Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pazera MKV to MP4 converter

Options
  • 20-11-2014 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I use this program to convert MKVs to MP4s for better compatibility on devices. I hate that MKV can drive some devices nuts.

However, when I convert, my CPU (i7 4790K) goes mental and starts running at 90c plus.

It only takes about 20 minutes to convert a 1.5gig file, but I get worried if the CPU is puffing along at 90c! In theory she should be able to take it fine, but in reality it's never a good thing.

My old XP machine never did this. Is there something up with the i7 architechure?

So, the questions are, do any of you use this software? Does your rig go bonkers when converting with it? Does the i7 do this anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Video conversion is serious business. Very compute intensive.

You might be able to just change the container without reencoding, or do a video stream copy and only reencode the audio to some apple friendly format. In many instances this will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I have noticed the same using WinX HD video convertor, Freemake video convertor & Handbrake.
    As Khannie already stated, video conversion is very "compute intensive".
    The only exception to the rule I found is VirtualDub or AviRecomp.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hi all,

Sure, I'm aware that conversion is very CPU intensive, it's just that on my old XP machine (Core2 Duo) there was never the spike in processing that I see on the i7. It's very weird. I was just wondering why such a crazy spike would happen on one chipset and not the other, using the same program. Or, if there was a way to peel back on CPU usage a bit when using that particular program.

If running at 90c for twenty minutes, or so, isn't an issue, then I'm not too bothered. I find it odd though.

Advertisement