Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good butchers in Finglas/Drumcondra/Glasnevin/Phisboro areas?

Options
  • 20-11-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know any good butchers in the Finglas/Drumcondra/Glasnevin/Phibsboro areas?

Thank you.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

You really won't get better than McArdles butchers in Charlestown shopping centre, but there's a butchers on
    Philipsburgh avenue that are just as good. I went in to it recently with an order totalling about seventy quid and tried to pay by card, which they don't accept. 'Take it away', says your man, 'and drop me in the cash when you're passing'. They had never seen me before.

Or since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's a couple of good ones in Finglas... McArdles as mentioned above. Also, Midland Meats beside Tesco Clearwater shopping centre (they do fiver Friday deals every week), Dolans in the Finglas Shopping Centre in the Village too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

The butcher beside the Spar on Glasnevin Ave is great. Amazing sausages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In an 'interesting' location (Barry Avenue), but Keenan and Kennedy have very good quality meat (especially pork) and at good prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 sunnyt

I like Mittons in the Phibsboro shopping centre. Good meat and good value!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

sunnyt wrote: »
    I like Mittons in the Phibsboro shopping centre. Good meat and good value!

I believe Mittons is closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

+1 for McArdles in Charlestown from me too.

Having their peppered chicken breasts for dinner tonight. Bleedin' delish !

spurious wrote: »
    In an 'interesting' location (Barry Avenue), but Keenan and Kennedy have very good quality meat (especially pork) and at good prices.

I actually forgot to mention this place, we used to buy from this place when we lived on Casement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

I wouldn't advise ANYONE to shop in Barry avenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I've gone off the slick "Craft Butchers" like the place in Charlestown, and the one beside Tesco - I feel they are way too focussed on those Stir Fry and packaged meals than actual butchery and quality meat.

I was looking for Pork Shoulder a coulpe weeks back and neither had it, the fella in Clearwater told me to try Green Valley, beside the Cardiffsbridge Inn - which I'd never been into - so in I went, and asked for the Shoulder. It was gone half five on a Friday, and they were obviously closing up.

The bloke there was amazingly helpful, took the skin and fat off the joint before weighing it, and had a conversation about how I was going to cook it.

Went to pay by card, and they don't take them, so he told me to take the meat and drop in the seven or eight quid next time I was passing.

Went down the next morning to settle up, and there was a different fella there. We spoke about some sausages I saw there, and he threw me a half pound of them for nothing.

Sound.

As for the butcher beside Dunnes there, I HATE going in there, the creep with the glasses makes my skin crawl.

• Advertisement

roadsmart wrote: »
    I wouldn't advise ANYONE to shop in Barry avenue.

Why not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

The Bridge on cardiffsbridge road(beside dunnes).

It doesn't sell oven-ready meals in tinfoil containers and is the cheapest anywhere. Not only that you will often get an extra pork chop or steak for free when buying a few items.

As for the butcher beside Dunnes there, I HATE going in there, the creep with the glasses makes my skin crawl.

He speaks very highly of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

+1 on McArdles, Charlestown. Superb meat and having tried a good few butchers in the area I find them the most consistent for quality

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Barry Avenue shops are kind of run-down. Some more precious souls may find the area scary, but nevertheless, Keenan and Kennedy's pork is nyom.
    I drive from the North Strand up there to get stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I live in Drumcondra and Brady's on Belvedere Road is good. Just round the corner from the Red Parrot pub at the first traffic lights on Dorset street. Been using it for over twenty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mcgranea

As said before Keenan and Kennedy butchers on Barry ave are brilliant! I get the protein packs for €20 but their sausages and pudding are delicious, I drive from santry up but I used to live in finglas. Location can look bad cause the units aren't looked after but never had any trouble personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thats Degsy, he used to post here.

Thats Degsy, he used to post here.

Nah..it's a fat man called Mairt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ethersons Craft Butchers in Cabra is good for meat. I buy it there all the time now that i dont go to Charlestown as much

• Advertisement
Advertisement