Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poem by an Irish Expat In Australia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Oh but they are. Extremely so.

Ah would ye stop! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

mad muffin wrote: »
    Oh but they are. Extremely so.
    I'm sure you can see the irony of saying "The Irish are extremely racist" if you step back a bit, particularly as a reaction to people saying "Australians are racist assholes" (and I totally understand your annoyance at such a derogatory statement, therefore... you'd come across better by not resorting to the exact same thing yourself!)
    I'm Irish - not a racist. :)
    I've seen it first hand. Don't take a taxi with a black driver. What are all these Africans doing in our town all of a sudden.

A place I used to work at the hight of the building boom had loads of Polish working there. Lots of Irish guys were unhappy about that.

I've even been told at wedding and such. When the Irish are sufficiently loaded. Aussie go home. Or Aussie blow in.
    Well yeh, there is a loudmouth coterie of racist arseholes here - like in any country, but it doesn't make us, overall, a racist people.
    How many travellers are represented in government or even local government? Asians? Africans? Eastern Europeans?

How many ethnic groups are represented in the media?
    How many aborigines etc...? (Possibly some, seeing as they've been around Australia longer than anyone, but please... don't resort to such strawclutching; there is no official system blocking any of the above groups getting involved in the areas you list. I love the way when people try to make out we're a pack of bigots that the traveller thing is thrown at us - when in actual fact there are huge provisions for travellers).
    I can tell you one thing though. Australia has had about as much as they can take of the Irish. Coming over loud and brash and full of piss. Aussies have enough of their own. They don't want or need to import them.

Lots of places don't want to hire Irish any more because they are unreliable. Coming over thinking the country owes them something. Not willing to put in a hard days work, always complaining about the heat. WTF did they expect? Cool breezes every day? Of course this is only a recent phenomenon. Heaps of Irish came over, over the decades and integrated, assimilated into Australian society.

It's this Celtic Tiger breed that are really giving the Irish a bad name in Australia.
    I know there is a large number of eejits giving us a bad name over there and understand your frustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Ah would ye stop! :rolleyes:

No really. Compared to Australia Ireland is a very racist society. Australia dropped its white Anglo Saxon heritage and embraced it's multiculturalism some decades ago.

Ireland refuses to acknowledge that it is now a multicultural society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

No really. Compared to Australia Ireland is a very racist society. Australia dropped its white Anglo Saxon heritage and embraced it's multiculturalism some decades ago.

I'm not denying many Irish people are racist but we have been a multicultural society for the shortest period of time of any English speaking nation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

:pac: This lad is like a 5 year old. Australia is clearly full of racist people as everyone that enters the country finds out fairly quickly and there's plenty of video evidence of their racist habits and what this lad says in response is 'no we're not, you're racist'. He then sticks his fingers in his ears. :D

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, I'm not getting particularly accepting vibes off you.

Australia had a huge amount of "teething problems"(to be nice about it) to get to where it is (and it's still far from perfect - plenty of racism there as you well know and I've met quite a few very vocal racist Australians in my time). Ireland has been multicultural for a shorter time than Australia and like all countries who've gone through the same, there's racism but to label us all, or even the majority, as racist is disingenuous and I believe you're only doing it to get a reaction.

In fact, I'd say we're handling better than many other European countries have done.

My Romanian friend just got rejected for a holiday visa because she was told that due to her low salary here in Spain (she's a PhD student), they didn't believe she'd enough incentive to return here (she has to come back to finish her PhD). She provided all the documentation etc. That's one story. You know I could reel off another 100 or so just as you could about Ireland.

Ah c'mon guys. You are being very defensive now. Does the truth hurt? I mean. You are able to dish it out, but when it comes time to accept your lumps, you hide away.

I acknowledge the fact that Australia has, as in any country, racists. If course it does. As a society it is far less so than Ireland. That's all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Ah c'mon guys. You are being very defensive now. Does the truth hurt? I mean. You are able to dish it out, but when it comes time to accept your lumps, you hide away.

I acknowledge the fact that Australia has, as in any country, racists. If course it does. As a society it is far less so than Ireland. That's all I'm saying.

This advert would never see the light of day on Irish television.

The auld "I'm backed into a corner here - I'd better fire out pot-shots" tactic. :pac:

Who's this "you" and "your"? I didn't dish anything out against any nationality (I criticised the anti Australian rubbish on this thread)... but you did dish out anti Irish sentiment.
    Ireland isn't a racist society due to having racists (like everywhere) so I don't know what "truth" you're referring to - oh yeh, the one in your head! When Ireland has a political party like Australia First and when Ireland blocks an immigrant ship, come back to us mate. ;)

The auld "I'm backed into a corner here - I'd better fire out pot-shots" tactic. :pac:

Who's this "you" and "your"? I didn't dish anything out against any nationality (I criticised the anti Australian rubbish on this thread)... but you did dish out anti Irish sentiment.
    Ireland isn't a racist society due to having racists (like everywhere) so I don't know what "truth" you're referring to - oh yeh, the one in your head! When Ireland has a political party like Australia First and when Ireland blocks an immigrant ship, come back to us mate. ;)

I see u touch a raw nerve ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Isn't tarring Australians with the "racist" brush somewhat...er...racist?

It seems de rigueur in AH. Whenever something remotely Australian is mention... bunch of racist **** ensues.

It seems de rigueur in AH. Whenever something remotely Australian is mention... bunch of racist **** ensues.

It's a defence mechanism kicking in all right.

There is a type of Irish person who moved to Australia and crows about how much better off they are than everyone here - and they can take some of the credit for this attitude.

It's a defence mechanism kicking in all right.

There is a type of Irish person who moved to Australia and crows about how much better off they are than everyone here - and they can take some of the credit for this attitude.

I think in the back of their minds it's jealousy and self deprecation. I get it quite a bit when people find out I'm an Aussie and I've lived in Ireland for the past 12 years.

They look at me like I've got two heads and ask me what the F am I still doing here...

Mate (can I call you mate?), you did the very same thing. I understand your testy about some of the comments here but you just look like a hypocrite now. Hard to take anything you say seriously.

I think in the back of their minds it's jealousy and self deprecation. I get it quite a bit when people find out I'm an Aussie and I've lived in Ireland for the past 12 years.

They look at me like I've got two heads and ask me what the F am I still doing here...

Well they're probably wondering why someone who seems to hate the people in the country he's living in is still living there. I'd wonder too.

Mate (can I call you mate?), you did the very same thing. I understand your testy about some of the comments here but you just look like a hypocrite now. Hard to take anything you say seriously.

I was defending Australia's honour, the only way an Australian knows how. By decrying... Irish bastards! :pac:

I was defending Australia's honour, the only way an Australian knows how. By decrying... Irish bastards! :pac:

Yep. I've noticed. Makes you look silly though.

Fair dinkum - that's more like it!

Well they're probably wondering why someone who seems to hate the people in the country he's living in is still living there. I'd wonder too.

Hate? bit strong but I must wonder about the Irish psyche...

• Advertisement

Yep. I've noticed. Makes you look silly though.

Silly? Silly is whenever Australia is mention the brigade come trotting out... you're all a bunch of racist **** down under. It gets real tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

Hes right about the politics, corruption and greed. Once all that is dealt with we will be sorted. We are a fantastic country and when we get our affairs in order we will be a great country.

the nearest village to me had four pubs three shops a two small factorys, now it has no pub one small shop and one small factory, it has lost its soul, its youth, its future.

Silly? Silly is whenever Australia is mention the brigade come trotting out... you're all a bunch of racist **** down under. It gets real tiresome.

No doubt it does. Silly beyond belief. You're no better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

flutered wrote: »
    the nearest village to me had four pubs three shops a two small factorys, now it has no pub one small shop and one small factory, it has lost its soul, its youth, its future.

I've worked in quite a few rural areas in the last two years and for me it was an eye opener about how dead and generally rather grim a fair amount of country towns are having always before lived in cities and visited smaller places that had a bit of life to them.
    BUT
    I've never got this thing that seems to be prevalent among a certain amount of young people from rural Ireland, it seems to be acceptable to fly literally across the world but the idea of moving to somewhere like Dublin, Belfast, Galway or Cork (or even the UK) where there is life and some jobs seems to be a completely foreign concept

Yeh I was saying that earlier all right. The Muffin person isn't interested though - just more interested in posting anti Irish stuff, in objection to anti Australian posts. :D

Yeh I was saying that earlier all right. The Muffin person isn't interested though - just more interested in posting anti Irish stuff, in objection to anti Australian posts. :D

That's the way I roll. I fight fire with fire.

That's the way I roll. I fight fire with fire.
    Meh, I didn't make any anti Australian comments though; you need to actually aim your fire at the right person rather than just in a general direction.

Meh, I didn't make any anti Australian comments though; you need to actually aim your fire at the right person rather than just in a general direction.

I didn't aim it at anyone. Just at this thread. Never quoted anyone unless I was answering a quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I agree with Mad Muffin, I'm Irish but been living in Australia 10 years and there are some Racists is Australia but they tend to be a minority some are white racists, some are black racists and some are brown or yellow racists but always in a minority.

I find that aboriginals in Australia are viewed similar to Travellers in Ireland, but of course in Ireland this seems to be an acceptable form of racism. Also some of the worst atrocities committed against aboriginals in the past involved Irish convicts and settlers, I find it amusingly hypocritical when people bring this subject up.

Sure Irish are perceived to be very racist even in TV story lines on Sons of Anarchy (which is of course fiction) the Irish are portrayed racist unwilling to deal with black, brown or yellow.... fiction indeed but mud still sticks. I have even been asked is it true that Irish are racist because of that. (My answer was yes)

I do find Irish people racist especially the older generation, it's just in Ireland it's expressed out the side of the mouth in a sneaky sort of way rather than straight out. It's just easier to see when you are looking from the outside in.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I agree with Mad Muffin, I'm Irish but been living in Australia 10 years and there are some Racists is Australia but they tend to be a minority some are white racists, some are black racists and some are brown or yellow racists but always in a minority.

I find that aboriginals in Australia are viewed similar to Travellers in Ireland, but of course in Ireland this seems to be an acceptable form of racism. Also some of the worst atrocities committed against aboriginals in the past involved Irish convicts and settlers, I find it amusingly hypocritical when people bring this subject up.

Sure Irish are perceived to be very racist even in TV story lines on Sons of Anarchy (which is of course fiction) the Irish are portrayed racist unwilling to deal with black, brown or yellow.... fiction indeed but mud still sticks. I have even been asked is it true that Irish are racist because of that. (My answer was yes)

I do find Irish people racist especially the older generation, it's just in Ireland it's expressed out the side of the mouth in a sneaky sort of way rather than straight out. It's just easier to see when you are looking from the outside in.

So you haven't lived in the country for 10 years and you're using fiction as your evidence?

Airtight case you put across there, my friend. Well done!

(Obviously you don't include yourself though, no sir).

So you haven't lived in the country for 10 years and you're using fiction as your evidence?

Airtight case you put across there, my friend. Well done!

(Obviously you don't include yourself though, no sir).

Just enjoying pointing out the hypocrisy, it's the lack of acceptance which is problem.

Even though the storyline is fiction it still portrays Irish people as racist, very popular program around the world and I'm sure plenty of nationalities on their equivalent of boards.ie are posting 'Ireland, bunch of racists'

People on AH are just not accepting that Irish people can be racist, it's like the class dunce.... The teacher and most of the other students know he/she is stupid... the only one not accepting is the dunce himself.

I am far more tolerant of other races and people than I was 10 years ago, I must admit even though I wasn't a raving racist I did have certain prejudices against certain races, Australia is very multicultural and worked with people from many backgrounds and my perceptions have changed. It just proves to me that if you scratch deep enough you will find a bigot in everyone.

I just enjoy pointing out the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

As a poem, it's really bad and also if it was written today, or any time in the last year or so, then the writer left Ireland at the height of the boom, around '05 or '06 when we never had it so good.
    So why did he go????? Was it because he reckoned his ****e poetry would be appreciated abroad where they aren't as cultured as us on the Emerald Isle. :confused:

Just as racists are a minority in Ireland. Vocal, but a minority.
    I find that aboriginals in Australia are viewed similar to Travellers in Ireland, but of course in Ireland this seems to be an acceptable form of racism.
    And yet there are people simultaneously saying there is too much tiptoing around any problems in traveller society, particularly in the left-wing or centre media. Guess it depends on the agenda. It's pretended that there is an official policy of discrimination against travellers in Ireland, when it's actually the very opposite.
    Also some of the worst atrocities committed against aboriginals in the past involved Irish convicts and settlers, I find it amusingly hypocritical when people bring this subject up.

Presumably adding a "Except for me" disclaimer.
    You have encountered racists in Ireland/from Ireland - like every country.
    Even though the storyline is fiction it still portrays Irish people as racist, very popular program around the world and I'm sure plenty of nationalities on their equivalent of boards.ie are posting 'Ireland, bunch of racists'
    So an American TV show with racist Irish characters = proof of the pudding that Irish people are racist? And people should take their cues from that? (Even though that would actually be prejudicial in and of itself).
    People on AH are just not accepting that Irish people can be racist, it's like the class dunce.... The teacher and most of the other students know he/she is stupid... the only one not accepting is the dunce himself.
    Nobody's saying Irish people can't be racist - people are defensive due to "The Irish are racist as hell" type comments which is a vast generalisation (and ironically prejudiced) and not the same as saying there are racists in Ireland (of course there are). It's not unreasonable to be defensive when something of that magnitude is said about the people whom you're part of - and it's slightly more galling when it's a fellow person from that same group of people doing it!

I have no problem with constructive criticism of Irish society but as an Irish person who isn't, and has never been, a racist, I am not being out of line by disputing that the society I'm part of has racism built into it. There isn't a mainstream far-right party here (unlike in Australia - only using that example because of the skewed "Ireland is way more racist than Australia" stuff; I don't believe Australia is a massively racist society either though) and hasn't been since O'Duffy; there hasn't been a policy of blocking ships of immigrants.
    I am far more tolerant of other races and people than I was 10 years ago, I must admit even though I wasn't a raving racist I did have certain prejudices against certain races
    Ah... I see. Perhaps that's where you're getting "The Irish are racist" thing from so. Well, I've never been prejudiced against other races.
    I just enjoy pointing out the truth.
    Just remember that sometimes "the truth" is actually only a person's subjective opinion.

Just as racists are a minority in Ireland. Vocal, but a minority.

And yet there are people simultaneously saying there is too much tiptoing around any problems in traveller society, particularly in the left-wing or centre media. Guess it depends on the agenda. It's pretended that there is an official policy of discrimination against travellers in Ireland, when it's actually the very opposite.

Presumably adding a "Except for me" disclaimer.

You have encountered racists in Ireland/from Ireland - like every country.

So an American TV show with racist Irish characters = proof of the pudding that Irish people are racist? And people should take their cues from that? (Even though that would actually be prejudicial in and of itself).

Nobody's saying Irish people can't be racist - people are defensive due to "The Irish are racist as hell" type comments which is a vast generalisation (and ironically prejudiced) and not the same as saying there are racists in Ireland (of course there are). It's not unreasonable to be defensive when something of that magnitude is said about the people whom you're part of - and it's slightly more galling when it's a fellow person from that same group of people doing it!

I have no problem with constructive criticism of Irish society but as an Irish person who isn't, and has never been, a racist, I am not being out of line by disputing that the society I'm part of has racism built into it. There isn't a mainstream far-right party here (unlike in Australia - only using that example because of the skewed "Ireland is way more racist than Australia" stuff; I don't believe Australia is a massively racist society either though) and hasn't been since O'Duffy; there hasn't been a policy of blocking ships of immigrants.

Ah... I see. Perhaps that's where you're getting "The Irish are racist" thing from so. Well, I've never been prejudiced against other races.

Just remember that sometimes "the truth" is actually only a person's subjective opinion.

Well Laura I tend to read the media and like you form opinions about who is racist.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/waterford-anti-roma-protests-criticised-as-cowardly-and-racist-1.1978572

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/family-living-in-fear-as-racist-thugs-target-home-30732314.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/torrent-of-abuse-for-love-hate-actor-after-traveller-defence-1.1986637

http://www.newstalk.com/Racist-graffiti-coincides-with-citizenship-ceremony-in-Dublin

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/racist-bus-driver-told-fk-4433142

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mixed-race-irish-group-seek-redress-amid-claims-of-racist-abuse-in-industrial-schools-293377.html

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/antiracism-rally-to-support-taxi-driver-who-feels-compelled-to-leave-ireland-after-racist-attack-30368259.html

You have made some very good points, yet you are still not accepting that Irish people can just be as racist as hell as any other nationality you some how feel as if I have somehow insulted you. It reminds me of my friend who recently had a baby with a black guy, when she first arrived in Australia 4 years ago she admitted she had this idea that Australians were racist (probably reading too much AH LOL) she now admits that she was wrong and that Australians are very tolerant of her current situations compared to her family and some of her friends back home. She has had a shift in opinion now, but like I said in my other post you often can't see it unless looking from another angle.

It's all good you saying here that you have never had any prejudices maybe you haven't but if have it wouldn't suit your argument to admit it here. I have heard some very racist remarks by Irish people, they probably were more comfortable saying them to me because I'm Irish myself. It doesn't bother me as much as the fact that you have people on here climbing on their high horse over racism. I suppose ignorance is bliss. I do love busting their bubble though.

Yes I'm Irish and yes when asked are Irish people racist I did answer yes they can be.... because I live in the real world. Is Ireland a racist society on general no it's not but it's not lily white either.

You have made some very good points, yet you are still not accepting that Irish people can just be as racist as hell as any other nationality you some how feel as if I have somehow insulted you. .

That's not what you said originally.

• Advertisement

Yeh nobody has said there are no racists in Ireland.
    You have made some very good points
    Thanks a mil, fair play - genuinely. :)
    yet you are still not accepting that Irish people can just be as racist as hell as any other nationality you some how feel as if I have somehow insulted you.
    Wait a sec: I'm completely accepting that Ireland unfortunately has racists, like anywhere. What I'm not accepting of is "Irish people are racist", "Irish people are more racist than e.g. Australian people".
    It reminds me of my friend who recently had a baby with a black guy, when she first arrived in Australia 4 years ago she admitted she had this idea that Australians were racist (probably reading too much AH LOL) she now admits that she was wrong and that Australians are very tolerant of her current situations compared to her family and some of her friends back home. She has had a shift in opinion now, but like I said in my other post you often can't see it unless looking from another angle.
    I have absolutely no doubt that the assertions of Australia being a highly racist society are unfair - similarly when the same thing is said about Irish society.
    Is Ireland a racist society on general no it's not but it's not lily white either.
    Yeh that's what I think too - I think we actually agree with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Jesus fucking Christ this thread is stupid.

Honestly, it seems like you two want Ireland to be racist just so you can point and say "HA! Look at that, you racist fucks!"

At this point, I'm convinced you're either morons or trolling, and seeing as how calling you morons will get me carded, I'll say you're trolling.

That's not what you said originally.

Well what did I say originally then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I like how people try to justify cooking your food out in the garden the whole time and tell you it's so great.

I'm happy we've evolved to cook our meals indoors.

I also like going to the toilet or to sleep without the possibility of being killed by various dangerous animals. I like that I'll go play a match and it's unlikely a dangerous snake will be roaming around the pitch.

I like how people try to justify cooking your food out in the garden the whole time and tell you it's so great.

I'm happy we've evolved to cook our meals indoors.

I also like going to the toilet or to sleep without the possibility of being killed by various dangerous animals. I like that I'll go play a match and it's unlikely a dangerous snake will be roaming around the pitch.

I knew the Irish were soft. Just didn't know they were that soft.

Toughen up you lily livered ninny :pac:

• Advertisement

Well what did I say originally then?

That Ireland was racist, not that people can be racist like any country (which I agree with). You also claimed Ireland was more racist than Australia (I don't know how you could quantify something like that anyway). You used fiction as your proof.

I found this article on the world's perception of Australia as a racist country.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/oct/25/why-does-the-world-think-australia-is-racist

It explains that Australians have been surveyed and "found that 87% of Australians believe that we benefit from cultural and racial diversity" but the world sees them differently. Should we conclude that Australians are racist then? Going by your logic, we should:

and this was the proof you provided that Ireland was a racist country. :confused:

Speaking for myself, I've come across racism everywhere I've lived or spent time (UK, South America, Spain, Ireland, States....). Here in Spain, people have made blatantly racist comments in front of me many times. I see police breaking the law and racially profiling people regularly. Should I conclude from that that everyone is racist? No. Should I engage the brain and conclude that Spain has racists like anywhere else (who are as vocal as anywhere else)? Yes.

I understand that posters get touchy when accusations of racism come out against the Australians and I groan when I see it but retaliating with the same is ridiculous. Small-minded bigots exist everywhere.

Yeh nobody has said there are no racists in Ireland.

Ok ....great some we now have established that there are racists both in Australia and Ireland.

So racism is not unique to Australia.
    Thanks a mil, fair play - genuinely. :)

You are wlcome

Wait a sec: I'm completely accepting that Ireland unfortunately has racists, like anywhere. What I'm not accepting of is "Irish people are racist", "Irish people are more racist than e.g. Australian people".

Yep Ireland has racists as above, but that's not exactly my point.

My point was that Irish people can be racist not just in Ireland but also abroad they just are not the loud brash type like Aussies are. I have experienced plenty of Irish people who make racist remarks not directly to other races but behind their backs its still a form of racism.

I was just pointing it out because some people are unaware of this or the just don't realise it, at the end of the day Irish people are not much different from Aussies.

I have absolutely no doubt that the assertions of Australia being a highly racist society are unfair - similarly when the same thing is said about Irish society.

Well Australia had a white only policy, so you could say that they were inherently racist which is fair enough but the people who established the country partly came from the same stock as the rest of us, the Irish convicts that became free settlers and those who emigrated during the famine. At the time they thought they were doing the right thing, its just these people are probably our long lost cousins.

Anyhow the policy was scrapped a long time ago and the migration policy is the opposite.

Last years migration numbers

1. India 39026
    2. China 26776
    3. UK 23220
    6. Ireland 6171
    Yeh that's what I think too - I think we actually agree with each other.

Well I posted it and you agreed because you know it to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Don Kedick wrote: »
    The Aussies have a problem with their ancestry aswell. Everytime I asked them what crime their relatives committed to get sent to Oz they started shouting at me. They have problems.

Oh, you're so witty!

Ok ....great some we now have established that there are racists both in Australia and Ireland.

So racism is not unique to Australia..

No one ever refuted your first point or claimed the second.

That Ireland was racist, not that people can be racist like any country (which I agree with).

Where exactly did I say that?

You also claimed Ireland was more racist than Australia (I don't know how you could quantify something like that anyway).

You used fiction as your proof.

I did? I didn't try to prove anything.... I just said that even in a fictional TV program the characters who are referred to as "the Irish" are portrayed as racists.

We were discussing the program at work and someone asked me are the Irish racist which I replied yes they can be, this led me in to another discussion on Travelers/Big fat Gypsy weddings and the use of Irish flags on the back of Taxis. I wasn't proving anything I was just saying this particular point was raised in a conversation.

It explains that Australians have been surveyed and "found that 87% of Australians believe that we benefit from cultural and racial diversity" but the world sees them differently. Should we conclude that Australians are racist then? Going by your logic, we should:

Some Australians are racist, but Australians come in many creeds and colours and all are capable of being racist.

I was called a 'white cunt once simply because I don't smoke, so I have suffered racism to a certain extent.

I also had a firearms instructor (who is actually a Policeman) make a crack about the IRA, many people could say that was a form of racism but to be honest he was just being a smart ass.

Speaking for myself, I've come across racism everywhere I've lived or spent time (UK, South America, Spain, Ireland, States....). Here in Spain, people have made blatantly racist comments in front of me many times. I see police breaking the law and racially profiling people regularly. Should I conclude from that that everyone is racist? No. Should I engage the brain and conclude that Spain has racists like anywhere else (who are as vocal as anywhere else)? Yes.

same here I have had people make racist comments in front of me, I also been to China and Japan who can be very racist against black people... when was the last time you heard of Japan being a racist country.

I find USA to be more racist than the likes of Australia, I was in Texas once and was told to be careful of certain areas because I was white.

I understand that posters get touchy when accusations of racism come out against the Australians and I groan when I see it but retaliating with the same is ridiculous. Small-minded bigots exist everywhere.

Yes but you have to remember that some of those posting that Australians are racist probably have never been to Australia, I not defending Australians as such but do enjoy pointing out the stupid hypocrisy.

Here. But you corrected yourself later.

Here. But you corrected yourself later.

I made no edit to my posts.

You just made that up.

That Ireland was racist, not that people can be racist like any country (which I agree with).

Where exactly did I say that Ireland was racist?

you are going to have to point out the quote.

You also claimed Ireland was more racist than Australia (I don't know how you could quantify something like that anyway).

I made no edit to my posts.

You just made that up.

Nope. Later you said, "The Irish CAN BE as racist as anyone else" changing your original statement of "the Irish are racist".

*Deep breath*. You said the Irish were racist, especially the older generation and only a minority were racist in Australia. What would you conclude from that if you read just that? That the person believes Ireland is a racist country and Australia is not, no? YOu made yourself clearer in later posts.

Oh, you're so witty!

Robbers or something more serious?

Look, I think we've all accepted that some Irish people can be racist but it's a tiny minority. In Australia it's the majority. The majority of white's anyway. We know this because of first hand records, it's very regular to hear racist stuff and see evidence of racism in Oz. It's a daily occurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement