Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poem by an Irish Expat In Australia

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Don Kedick wrote: »
    Look, I think we've all accepted that some Irish people can be racist but it's a tiny minority. In Australia it's the majority. The majority of white's anyway. We know this because of first hand records, it's very regular to hear racist stuff and see evidence of racism in Oz. It's a daily occurance.

You're some gombeen… :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

mad muffin wrote: »
    You're some gombeen… :rolleyes:

Don't beat me up, I'm not an Aboriginal or an Asian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

Honestly, it seems like you two want Ireland to be racist just so you can point and say "HA! Look at that, you racist fucks!"
    I agree the whole thing of wanting Ireland to be like Mississippi in the 1950s in order to condemn us all as hardcore racist rednecks does seem to be a bit of a phenomenon. Throwing out the "What about the travellers?" card is amusing too, given how there is actual policy of looking after travellers. Irish politics has traditionally been centrist. No National Front type organisations here.

Mandrake, you did say the Irish are racist - and reference to how Irish characters in Sons Of Anarchy are depicted was just... wtf? Italian-Americans are depicted in The Sopranos as violent maniacs - I won't be taking my cues as to how the entire Italian-American/Italian populations are, on the basis of that TV show though.

If what you actually meant was that there are Irish people who are racist, including in terms of how they behave abroad, well then of course you're right - but you didn't phrase it well in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Don Kedick wrote: »
    Don't beat me up, I'm not an Aboriginal or an Asian.

Mate you're alright. We don't pick on wimpy kids…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

When a man wrote a bad poem in Aus,
    little did he know it would be the cause,
    of a boring thread,
    that would melt your head,
    about who was more racist,
    and nasty and tasteless,
    an Aussie or a Paddy,
    Mandrake04 argued it was the latter,
    using the example of a friend’s kid with a black daddy,
    but the real clincher in his argument was when he brought up how Irish people are portrayed as racists on “Sons of Anarchy”,
    The End

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mandrake, you did say the Irish are racist

Yes I did .... only because in my experience I have found that a lot of Irish are racist not all or a majority but a lot. maybe only in a subtle way like when the Taxis had the green light or The Irish driver stickers which Leo Varadkar said were racist or when I was at school and the local chinese boy was teased a lot in a racist way, or even when I meet Irish people in Sydney who complain that Asian's are bad drivers because because they cant see properly with squinty eyes etc etc etc. Simply sharing my experiences.

how ever I did not say that all Irish are racist that's just silly and I didn't post anywhere that Ireland is a racist country, I simply posted that Irish people can be racist, what is so hard to understand?

I think you are tad bit sensitive to all this.
    and reference to how Irish characters in Sons Of Anarchy are depicted was just... wtf?

Laura I already explained this in great detail, but I will explain very simply.

a colleague watched the program, asked me are Irish racist? to which I replied yes sometimes. Conversation moved on to Big Fat Gypsy weddings in which a Traveler on the program apparently said that he was called a "knacker" and he found it racist. My colleague on the basis of two programs formed an opinion that Irish people are racist and asked me to confirm which I give him my honest opinion and said yes sometimes.

I'm sorry its a wtf, but that's what happened.

If what you actually meant was that there are Irish people who are racist, including in terms of how they behave abroad, well then of course you're right - but you didn't phrase it well in fairness.

Maybe I didn't phrase well or maybe you misunderstood but if I have offended you in some way, I am truly sorry and I apologise.

But you were jumping all over Mad Muffin for posting his opinion, I think he is an Aussie so right or wrong he is probably just sticking up for his country the same way as you are sticking up for yours.

I'm born and bred in Ireland for 27 years and although I live in Australia and it's my home, I still got the Irish accent, Irish Passport, still got land in Ireland and all my family live there... I'm kinda sitting on the fence and just calling it as I see it.... It's my opinion based on my experiences and if you don't like it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

When a man wrote a bad poem in Aus,
    little did he know it would be the cause,
    of a boring thread,
    that would melt your head,
    about who was more racist,
    and nasty and tasteless,
    an Aussie or a Paddy,
    Mandrake04 argued it was the latter,
    using the example of a friend’s kid with a black daddy,
    but the real clincher in his argument was when he brought up how Irish people are portrayed as racists on “Sons of Anarchy”,
    The End

Thats actually better than the one in the OP, give me a laugh anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yes I did .... only because in my experience I have found that a lot of Irish are racist not all or a majority but a lot. maybe only in a subtle way like when the Taxis had the green light or The Irish driver stickers which Leo Varadkar said were racist or when I was at school and the local chinese boy was teased a lot in a racist way, or even when I meet Irish people in Sydney who complain that Asian's are bad drivers because because they cant see properly with squinty eyes etc etc etc. Simply sharing my experiences.

how ever I did not say that all Irish are racist that's just silly and I didn't post anywhere that Ireland is a racist country, I simply posted that Irish people can be racist, what is so hard to understand?
    You didn't say Irish people can be racist, which would be correct - you said the Irish are racist. All you have to do is read your posts. Fair enough, it was just a case of ambiguous phrasing but I'm just explaining to you why I thought you were tarring the Irish in general with being racist.
    The examples you list above are found everywhere unfortunately - why only focus on Irish examples; is it a self flagellating thing? It doesn't excuse it but it doesn't make racism from Irish people a phenomenon that deserve more scrutiny than racism from people anywhere.
    a colleague watched the program, asked me are Irish racist? to which I replied yes sometimes. Conversation moved on to Big Fat Gypsy weddings in which a Traveler on the program apparently said that he was called a "knacker" and he found it racist. My colleague on the basis of two programs formed an opinion that Irish people are racist and asked me to confirm which I give him my honest opinion and said yes sometimes.
    I don't really get this. You said Ireland has racists - nothing surprising there, of course it does. Your colleague should know any country has.
    But you were jumping all over Mad Muffin for posting his opinion, I think he is an Aussie so right or wrong he is probably just sticking up for his country the same way as you are sticking up for yours.
    "For posting his opinion"? Ah come on now. I was challenging the way he was complaining about anti Australian sentiment... by posting anti Irish sentiment. You said yourself you enjoy pointing out hypocrisy - there's some prime hypocrisy for ya above!
    He also kept saying the Irish are more racist than Australians, despite Australia First and those immigrant ships. I don't know which country has more racists or if it's not 50/50 - I don't care. I didn't say anything derogatory about Australians or that Australians are more racist than Irish people... that other poster did both, in the reverse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement