Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

reactivate old Irish reg number

Options
  • 20-11-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Is it possible to re activate an old reg number from the 1940 s ? friend of mine has an old truck which he is currently restoring,which was first registered in 1943 or there abouts .The log book is long gone but the reg number is known and the chassis number is there as well .The county council insist that he has to re register the vehicle using a ZV or 43 number .Has anybody come across this problem before and were they able to resurrect the original number .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

He should be able to do this. The reg no. stays with the chassis always and if there is evidence of both it and the chassis number, I can't see where they are coming from. All he needs to do is apply for a new book. I'd ignore the Co Council and apply direct to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I would have thought the same.
    Its just a vehicle with a missing book, not an import.
    He may need to try to prove legal ownership, so he may need to establish a paper trail leading back to the last registerd owner..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

This is correct if they don't have any records on their computer. I know someone else with the same problem.

http://www.tipperarycoco.ie/motor-tax/motor-tax-rates

•A vehicle is classed as a vintage/veteran once its 30 years old from date of manufacture and a concessionary rate of motor tax applies – See List of Motor Tax Rates.
    •Appropriate fee -See List of Motor Tax Rates.
    •No NCT/CRW required for Vintage Vehicles
    •Insurance Details
    •If the vehicle owner does not have the appropriate registration documents clearly showing the date of manufacture and the Motor Tax office is unable to trace any details of same from the National Vehicle Computer system then the vehicle will have to be re-registered with NCT and get a new Registration No.

Yes, but the Co Council are saying he "has" to re-register, not that the details are not traceable. OP, have you looked up the number online? If it comes up, then there is a trace of it....worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

If you have the reg number and chassis number you can get a replacement tax book. Do not accept what the co council employee told you! He/She may not be aware of the procedure. The original registration number is part of any vehicle's history. I would not accept a ZV or '43' plate in your cicrumstances!

Follow this procedure -

- Complete an Application for Replacement Documents (From RF134 - www.motortax.ie) declaring what document(s) have been lost and have this form witnessed and stamped by a member of the Garda Siochana.
    The current replacement fees are as follows:-
    Registration (Log) Book - €12.00

- If your friend, or a family member of his, is not the registered owner, he will need to complete an 'ownership affadavit' form (can be obtained at a garda station) which must be witnessed by a 'commissioner of the oaths' (usually a local solicitor is appointed in each area). This form basically declares that your friend is the legal owner of the vehicle.

- Send both completed forms, along with €12, to your local tax office. They will then issue a replacement log book - with the original registration number.

Dont accept a ZV or '43' plate!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

and if they don't have a record?

Is there not some way of combing through archives to find it?

Yes, you would think that for every car first registered and tax book originally issued that a similar entry was made in a ledger type book.
    These books would be kept in file on a shelf in a room somewhere they could be easily accessed.All the details like reg number, chassis number, colour, hp, etc would fit across on one line.
    The car could then be visually checked by the NCT to verify it was indeed the same car and a new tax book issued, or would that be too logical?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

My local library has the Kerry registration records. It's actually quite epic how much stuff is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

ACMATMAN, give me a call with the details, and I will go down to the Dept. of Trans. in Shannon and enquire for you, they are just 2 Min, away. They did dig up some No. for me from old files. No guarantee though, it all depends who you meet. Don't bother PM me, I still have not got my head around that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

My local library has the Kerry registration records. It's actually quite epic how much stuff is there.

Tralee library? Are they in a searchable format by owner name/address?
    I've a tractor from the 1960's, which was only ever owned by my late father, but hasn't been taxed since the early 1970's and at best I only have fragments of potential registration numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Your average Co Council mouse-pusher would not be the greatest at helping with enquiries unless the answer was staring at him/her on a screen.

Might need that Kerry Library info too pls as I have only a partial (Kerry) reg number on a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

mattroche wrote: »
    ACMATMAN, give me a call with the details, and I will go down to the Dept. of Trans. in Shannon and enquire for you, they are just 2 Min, away. They did dig up some No. for me from old files. No guarantee though, it all depends who you meet. Don't bother PM me, I still have not got my head around that!!

Thank god there's still the 'Irish human' working away - it's not handled by a call centre in Central Kazakstan . Ye can't beat the 'personal' approach, just lay out your problem and someone 'takes care of it' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Just for the record, if you need to reregister a vehicle that has lost documentation or details of original reg. it will cost you €200 at NCT/VRT centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Defender77

Have you done this?

Yes, recently.

OK. I am the owner of the vehicle in Question. This thread was started by a friend of mine.

So far I have filled out and submitted all the paperwork that has bean mentioned.

I have the original reg number, A form signed by the guards etc to prove I own the vehicle, A form from a local garage that has proves that it is the vehicle I say it is. I also have pictures of the Army Transport Ledgers proving that the vehicle did exist. I even have all the details of the vehicles previous owner (now deceased) I just have no logbook.

The official word back from Shannon and my local tax office is that because THEY have no record of the vehicle that it must be re-registered.

At this stage I will try anything.

OK, this is interesting,I haven't tried the NCT department. How did you go about it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I'd get a mob together with burning torches and pitchforks.

Methinks they are being lazy so they can chisel you for a big, fat fresh slice of VRT (which is where the figure of 200 sheets comes from. VRT Category C).

Perhaps you might have to go further up the food chain? Or maybe get in touch with the IVVCC and see if they can direct you.

I can just about understand a policy of re-reg'ing a lost ID vehicle, but charging tax again on it is taking the proverbial.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

There is no record of your ZD XXXX in Shannon, that I am quite sure of. As I have already suggested to you, pay the V.R.T. (E200) get your 41CN XXXXX. When you are driving it on the public road, clip the new plates over the old ones, and remove them when you get to a show or whatever. Otherwise I think you are up against a brick wall!!

I am sure now that the information does not exist, probably lost or destroyed at this stage. I don't need to re-register the vehicle as it will be a while yet before it is on the road. In the mean time I will persevere with the brick wall, something might come up.

• Advertisement

Are you absolutely sure the information (chassis and reg no) is correct and are you sure that the vehicle wasn't declared as scrapped at some point ? I can see it being struck from the record in this case and the authorities wont be wanting to resurrect it as it opens a can of worms.

The other thing is that registrations/vehicles that were exported to the UK were never recorded here, so from the Shannon/tax office point of view the same vehicle could appear on the DVLA at some stage in the future.

You need to ask around and talk to others about this issue, people sometimes know of someone in the right place who is sypathetic to your situation and will go to the trouble of checking it out for you, most LAs still have old records, but few will go to the trouble of accessing them because they couldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Defender77 wrote: »
    OK. I am the owner of the vehicle in Question. This thread was started by a friend of mine.

So far I have filled out and submitted all the paperwork that has bean mentioned.

I have the original reg number, A form signed by the guards etc to prove I own the vehicle, A form from a local garage that has proves that it is the vehicle I say it is. I also have pictures of the Army Transport Ledgers proving that the vehicle did exist. I even have all the details of the vehicles previous owner (now deceased) I just have no logbook.

The official word back from Shannon and my local tax office is that because THEY have no record of the vehicle that it must be re-registered.

At this stage I will try anything.

That is absolute b+$$+*ks!! (excuse my french)
    What a 'lazy/couldn't care less/hand over the money and go away' answer Shannon has given you?!!

There is no reason why you shouldnt get a replacement log book for your vehicle. I would not give up so soon! Dont let the original registration number go without one hell of a fight!!....it's part of the vehicle's history...and will add value to the vehicle.

Just to confirm - is the form you got from the guards also signed by a Comissioner of The Oaths?

For starters, I would advise you to contact the IVVCC... http://www.ivvcc.ie/ ...to see what help/advice they can give you. This is an issue they must be dealing with on a regular basis....so they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Resist, resist, resist a 'ZV' plate at all costs!! :eek:

Advertisement