Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Name Vs Company Name?

Options
  • 20-11-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

I'm in the process of registering my Business Name with Core .ie and theres an option there for 'Reservation of Company Name'.
    Does this mean that if I build up a name as a sole trader, that someone can come along and register a company name of the same name, and take all my business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

A business name isn't protected so any one can register a business name the same as yours. But if you get the domain names first people mightn't bother using the same name.

Company names are protected but still doesn't stop a company registering a business name same as yours.

Reserve a business name is if you want to register a new that you want to call your company.

Sorry for the short answer as phone battery nearly dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭SwordofLight

Wow, so if I register a business name as Star Seller, someone else can register as Star Seller as well? So I can be T/A (trading as) Star Seller, and someone else can be at the same time?

And if I register a company name as Star Seller (Ltd Company), someone else can still be a sole trader T/A Star Seller.

So does this mean that I can be a sole trader T/A Coca Cola?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

No coca Cola is trademarked so you cant use it. If you wanted to use the name Star Seller you would have to trademark it to stop anyone else using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭SwordofLight

Ah, I see. Is a trademark worldwide or country specific? I presume it can be the case that a country may not recognise trademarking as a concept and thus not integrate it.. is it something like this that is why in China there are rip-off Apple stores?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Someone can register the same business name but if they were competing with you and it was affecting your business you can take a legal route where they are seen to be 'passing off' and where customers might mistake their business for yours as they are selling the same type of goods/services with the same name. So in most cases where there is a same name the businesses are completely different from each other. Only one of you can register the .ie domain and as the above poster said once someone has that a lot of people dont bother to register that name as they plan to have a website and the .ie domain after it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement