Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Australia match thread, Saturday 22nd Nov. KO 4:30PM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Euphoria is the only emotion I feel right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Well that's a game we had the winning of after half an hour but made a series of massive bad decisions that nearly lost it. We were 17-0 up and the game SCREAMED OUT for Ireland to change our committee to the breakdown and move them out wide.
    But yet again, as we have seen in the past, there was no one to make that decision until half time.
    Half time is TOO LATE. I find it appalling that O'Connell cannot lead by making that decision.
    In the end we won and it's great ! But we won't go anywhere in the WC until we have a leader who will make decisions on the field.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

leakyboots wrote: »
    He had a fine game, tavkled like a demon

Now add the numerous errors and laziness to chase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Thought the way heaslip held on to the loose ball in the last few minutes and made yards across the pitch to allow his teammates to get back into position was massive...quite possibly a game saver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Piliger wrote: »
    Well that's a game we had the winning of after half an hour but made a series of massive bad decisions that nearly lost it. We were 17-0 up and the game SCREAMED OUT for Ireland to change our committee to the breakdown and move them out wide.
    But yet again, as we have seen in the past, there was no one to make that decision until half time.
    Half time is TOO LATE. I find it appalling that O'Connell cannot lead by making that decision.
    In the end we won and it's great ! But we won't go anywhere in the WC until we have a leader who will make decisions on the field.

what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Why didn't Reddan stay on when Murray was concussion subbed? Is there something about him having to come back on if he's declared fit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Let's all talk about Zebo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Do as Joe says.

we just beat two of the top 3 teams in the world outside of ourselves id say we have a fair chance of going somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

O'Connell made a hit in the last play that said to Australia you can go through as many phases as you want you have no chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

phog wrote: »
    Why didn't Reddan stay on when Murray was concussion subbed? Is there something about him having to come back on if he's declared fit?

He doesn't have to but they obviously want him on the pitch. And thank god he did come back on because Sexton was forced off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

No medal for POC....he didn't get his chance to whip it off in disgust... Sponsors learned their lesson from the first 2 games :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭webels

Hooked wrote: »
    Met Paulie in UL before the Springboks game, just casually strolling with the missus and the little fella (Paddy I think) around campus...

You'd never think the Superhuman out the in green was the same guy.

Just unreal today. Has the man peaked yet??? He's 36 right?
    When he puts on a green Jersey he is like a 21 yr old again. He is a super athlete leader and any think you are having yourself. He is showing his age for munster last 2 years but in green irreplaceable. He is 35 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

10 minutes later and I'm still not sure how we hung on to that one.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thoughts from the game, can't comment on the breakdown cos its hard to see what happening, but poc was simply immense.

Aussie played a very flat back line, especially on a scramble ball. They just fixed defenders and passed before the tackle. They got lads of reward for that in the first half. They were willing to risk the percentages by leaving no body home to get this over lap. ThThus the 40 point first half. We capitalised when r could and so did they.

Second half, today different, we blitzed their line when we could cutting off the early pass. Joe must have had harsh words cos we didn't slip off many tables in the second half.

Jonnys kicking was suspect throughout. Jesus I wish he could get even another ten meters from those penalty kicks. He leaves loads of change.

More after.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

No medal for POC....he didn't get his chance to whip it off in disgust... Sponsors learned their lesson from the first 2 games :)

why what happened?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thoughts from the game, can't comment on the breakdown cos its hard to see what happening, but poc was simply immense.

Aussie played a very flat back line, especially on a scramble ball. They just fixed defenders and passed before the tackle. They got lads of reward for that in the first half. They were willing to risk the percentages by leaving no body home to get this over lap. ThThus the 40 point first half. We capitalised when r could and so did they.

Second half, today different, we blitzed their line when we could cutting off the early pass. Joe must have had harsh words cos we didn't slip off many tables in the second half.

Jonnys kicking was suspect throughout. Jesus I wish he could get even another ten meters from those penalty kicks. He leaves loads of change.

More after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Clearlier wrote: »
    10 minutes later and I'm still not sure how we hung on to that one.

I suppose giving credit to the team would be on way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

we just beat two of the top 3 teams in the world outside of ourselves id say we have a fair chance of going somewhere

Are we not third in the world rankings?

Joe says he's feeling relief lol

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Were going to win the 6N and the World Cup.

I'm a fully paid up member of the church of Joe. Hallelujah! Praise Joe. :)

Stheno wrote: »
    Are we not third in the world rankings?

Joe says he's feeling relief lol

yup i said outside of ourselves :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

phog wrote: »
    There is nothing about having to come back on If declared fit. Schmidt simply wanted Murray on the pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Teferi wrote: »
    Zebo had a good game.

1. I think today zebo was very good. If this is his benchmark performance then the debate is over. Bar the dodgy offload it was the sort of performance he needs to replicate.

2., D'Arcy, one of my favourite players, is finished at this level. He just looks off the pace

3. Madigan at 12 looks viable to me.

4. POC immense

5. Henshaw looks top class. What a start to his career

edit 6. wales or england are gone at the group stage next year. Cheika is going to make this aussie side some outfit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Just because we scrambled over the line doesn't mean all is well in every way. We need to accept that we gave away a 17pt lead in the blink of an eye because of a massive tactical error. At half time we fixed it but we have to learn to be able to make the change in the middle of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I suppose giving credit to the team would be on way.

I suppose that I am. I just don't understand how we managed it. We were under enormous pressure for what seemed like most of the second half. Our attacking game was almost non-existent after the first 20 minutes. We held our discipline wonderfully in defence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

awec wrote: »
    I'm a fully paid up member of the church of Joe. Hallelujah! Praise Joe. :)

Just because we scrambled over the line doesn't mean all is well in every way. We need to accept that we gave away a 17pt lead in the blink of an eye because of a massive tactical error. At half time we fixed it but we have to learn to be able to make the change in the middle of a game.

i accept that and i have no doubt its something they will be kicking themselves for and they will have learned there lesson but you have to accept we did get out to a 17 point lead day one and we have beaten two of the top teams on the planet so saying we are not going anywhere in the world cup is just silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Very few stoppages in the first half, the game went at some pace, very hard for anyone to make that change. He is a forward, he is often in the breakdown area so very hard to appreciate what is going on out in the backline

This wales NZ game is some sh1te by comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

No one shocked as Ireland beat lower ranked nation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Gotta love how Hook almost has a fit demanding that others calm down and not lose the run of themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

CptMackey wrote: »
    Had the match recorded and was going to watch it once I got home but the inlaws were watching it when I got home :mad:

Great last 10 mins and a great win will have to watch the rest of it back now

Grab a bottle of whiskey, have a shot everything you get exasperated with the officials.

Come hunt me down on Monday!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Well done fellas.....great result and a cracking match!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

aimee1 wrote: »
    2., D'Arcy, one of my favourite players, is finished at this level. He just looks off the pace

3. Madigan at 12 looks viable to me.

Yes and Yes. Problem and solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

TheDoctor wrote: »
    No one shocked as Ireland beat lower ranked nation

Kinda waiting for a piss-take Waterford Whispers News piece with this title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Australia are a work in progress under Cheika, they will be awesome in the WC. The thing is, We're a work in progress under Joe. Have we had our absolute best 15 on the pitch so far under him? How good can we get? The hairs on the back of my neck are standing up just thinking about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

Disappointed By Cheika's attitude there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

To win a clean sweep against two of the biggest teams in the SH is just brilliant for Ireland.

If Schmidt has the tenacity for victory for the Irish team I have every confidence in him that he will achieve the task for the 6 Nations and the WC for next year. The continuity of the performance from Schmidt's coaching is badly needed for this team to win these two tournaments.

The team itself has been responding to that brilliantly so far but they need to do more now because the team knows from Schmidt that performance counts in winning every game of rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Now add the numerous errors and laziness to chase.

Ah give over. He won an up and under when we were under the cosh, every time he got the ball he beat fellas on a six pence, one pass that on another day could have lead to a try (last week the line was 'Zebo doesn't pass') and the knock on I'm gonna lay 50% on Kearney who was like a deer in headlights running at them, I don't think even he knew what he was going to do in that passage of play. There are more experienced fellas you should be pointing fingers at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Australia are a work in progress under Cheika, they will be awesome in the WC.

They're offloading today was brilliant at times. They will be a strong contender come WC.

Can we ban Zebo discussion please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

Difference between this and the past is it felt like a SH win before would be simply catching one of them in a one off game. This time its not just two in a row, but we beat a Wallaby team coming off the back off a loss, when they're vying to make amends which makes it all the more sweeter. What a team this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Everytime I hear Hook praising Bowe I smile from ear to ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It was a great game.

Australia scored two tries that were score in broken, loose, almost 7s style offloading play.
    Very hard to structure a defence or change tactics to deal with it.

Ireland closed out the game and showed they have grown from is time last year and the game vs the All Blacks.

Let's enjoy the win and being third in the world til February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Kanrith wrote: »
    Disappointed By Cheika's attitude there.

Ah he's a bit of a grumpy old git by nature - that's his normal disposition .

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

What a Win!!! Great Autumn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

As Hannibal Smith would say "I love it when a plan comes together"

That was one of the best performances from POM I've seen.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Feel Henshaw has earned his place as a starting centre going into the 6ns, barring injury, only question is his partner now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

chupacabra wrote: »
    Everytime I hear Hook praising Bowe I smile from ear to ear.

He tries hard but lacks the pace for an international winger :pac::pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Will Cheika have Australia playing like those though in the four nations and WC campaign? I almost get the impression he was drafted in on relatively short notice, cut a "let's have a go up in the NH" approach any will put his own stamp on them afterwards. I haven watched much of the waratahs though so could be very wrong.

• Advertisement

freyners wrote: »
    Feel Henshaw has earned his place as a starting centre going into the 6ns, barring injury, only question is his partner now.

Madigan. Madigan Madigan Madigan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement