Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Australia match thread, Saturday 22nd Nov. KO 4:30PM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

We're in a very good position going forward. We may have just won 3/3 in the Autumn series, but there are plenty of work-ons and we should only get better from here. Our attack and set-piece (primarily lineout) haven't been to standard, but we've gotten the wins.

Regarding attack, is it too soon to make that call that today may be the last time we see D'Arcy in the green jersey? Henshaw has looked very composed, and doesn't look to require baby-sitting. We are definitely missing something between our half-backs and back-three to tie our attack together. We'll need to find that missing piece if we are to progress further to the next level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

freyners wrote: »
    Feel Henshaw has earned his place as a starting centre going into the 6ns, barring injury, only question is his partner now.

I'd be very tempted to go for Olding. But I reckon he'd need to be playing there for Ulster. Although it's likely that Madigan won't be either, so that would leave D'Arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

I'm very happy we've had so many errors today and defensive mishaps. In 2006 we hammered both Aus and SA. The difference here is both teams were fantastic but the 2006 team felt like it had peaked a year too early, this one feels like it has a lot of room to improve and work on yet still being great. "Yet to hit its ceiling" is probably the right term. Hopefully we can be even better come next year. Just like the 2012 Leinster was probably just a shade better than the 2011 one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Madigan. Madigan Madigan Madigan.

Would be my choice but with Payne, Darcy, Olding also in the mix its a hard call.

Actually some great depth at centre atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Would be my choice but with Payne, Darcy, Olding also in the mix its a hard call.

Darcy is probably my favorite player ever but he's done I fear. Madigan has earned it. Get Olding onto the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I'm very happy we've had so many errors today and defensive mishaps. In 2006 we hammered both Aus and SA. The difference here is both teams were fantastic but the 2006 team felt like it had peaked a year too early, this one feels like it has a lot of room to improve and work on yet still being great. "Yet to hit its ceiling" is probably the right term. Hopefully we can be even better come next year. Just like the 2012 Leinster was probably just a shade better than the 2011 one.

I feel the same. This time around we really have time on our side. The 6 nations can almost be seen as a pre season to the WC which is a great position to be in. For the first time in many years I can't see past Ireland for winning the 6 nations,if we beat England we have the grand slam imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

If we are honest, we probably should have lost by a decent margin there, but have to applaud the effort.

12 is up for grabs big time for 6N. Hope Olding puts his hand up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

awec wrote: »
    Were going to win the 6N and the World Cup.

I'm a fully paid up member of the church of Joe. Hallelujah! Praise Joe. :)

Wooden spoon followed by not getting out of our group

We just will

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    If we are honest, we probably should have lost by a decent margin there, but have to applaud the effort.

Should we have? Do explain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Also how the **** did we get out scrumed by Australia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

There is no two obvious first choices so to speak. Our depth now is actually quite good all over the park, half back being the only real concern.

I wish we could not focus on the WC, its every four years. Our real aim should be to target the 6n. We have always got the four year cycle blah blah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Feel Henshaw has earned his place as a starting centre going into the 6ns, barring injury, only question is his partner now.

Denis Hurley :D

Should we have? Do explain.

Was I watching a different game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I have a feeling Ulster will persist with Olding at 15 and Payne at 13 so cant see olding getting a look at 12 for Ireland, but I'd love to see him play there.
    Great defence at the end i bet they had last year against NZ in their head. POC was massive today well deserved MOTM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Joe has appendicitis apparently

Apparently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I said I wanted Zebo to be more physical. I think he was definitley more physical today. Overall a pretty decent game from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

As per tradition. My image of the game.
    INPHO_00870079.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

0009cdeb-960.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

12 is up for grabs big time for 6N. Hope Olding puts his hand up

Dunno about that we were on top for most of the game, yes they were more dangerous with the ball in hand but they didn't see a whole lot of it in the second half

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    Dunno about that we were on top for most of the game, yes they were more dangerous with the ball in hand but they didn't see a whole lot of it in the second half

I don't know how you can say we were on top for most of the day?

They made more meters, had more territory, beat more defenders....we made more tackles...not saying we fluked it, but if I was australian i'd be wondering how that one got away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

POC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I think he has a point if anything we should have won by a bigger margin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Madigan. Madigan Madigan Madigan.

McCloskey McCloskey McCloskey McCloskey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭letowski

I thought Kearney gave another fine performance today, to go along with his SA one. He put his body on the line on numerous occasions. I think he is playing as good as rugby as I have seen him, all the more impressive as he hardly featured this season before the AI's. Fair play to him, desperate pity that drop goal attempt didn't go over!

I don't know how you can say we were on top for most of the day?

They made more meters, had more territory, beat more defenders....we made more tackles...not saying we fluked it, but if I was australian i'd be wondering how that one got away

cos they scored less points? The only stat that matters.

I said it a few times on the thread, but their loosehead was clearly bound to Mike Ross' chest. It's hard to push forward when you're being pulled down. Anyways I wouldn't read too much into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

aimee1 wrote: »
    cos they scored less points? The only stat that matters.

It may surprise you, but i'm not saying we didn't win the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Jaysus and breathe.
    Before the SA we were worried cos missing so many players. We win 3 from 3 and still aren't happy. What has happened to Irish rugby cos I'm loving it? Some great stuff today but plenty to work on and plenty to come back and challenge for positions. Oz in similar position against Wales a few weeks back and closed it out , we won and that is important, despite not being the perfect performance.
    We've brought in new players who have in the most performed well like every team in the world we have some irreplaceables but the likes of Ruddock Foley Mcgrath Henshaw Payne Madser Olding and a few others are now established in squad see what is expected and can add to the squad.
    Looking forward to 6 Nations an if we get lucky who knows what might happen. the future is bright the future is Joe.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

They we're singing "put em under pressure" in the stands after the game.

Being Irish is deadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I said it a few times on the thread, but their loosehead was clearly bound to Mike Ross' chest. It's hard to push forward when you're being pulled down. Anyways I wouldn't read too much into it.

Also there's this myth that the Oz and NZ scrums are walkovers. They're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

.ak wrote: »
    They we're singing "put em under pressure" in the stands after the game.

Being Irish is deadly.

Always love when we sing "Fields of Athenry" against Australia- as its effectively singing about how sh!t it is to go there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Good result. We didn't play well really and offered very little in attack but we are a very awkward side to play against.

Positives? Really good defence in the second half and low error count when it mattered most (unlike the Welsh). The sequence of results and the effect it has on the group can't be understated.

Negatives? Kicked away too much ball. We have good fielders but we really overdid today. Didn't really grab the game as we should have in the first half.

Wouldn't pick Darcy again. Honest as the day is long, good defender, rarely gets turned over but because he's static the majority of the time he receives the ball and our attack is suffering as a result. We have no answer when teams come up hard in defence against. Its been that way for a while now. We're crying out for a hard running 12 or someone who can spot a gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I think in the cold light of day we'll need to ask questions of our attack - a backline with that amount of talent should be doing a hell of a lot more with the ball. Kick kick kick and play the percentages seems to be our ploy. Another team with 10% more luck might make us pay. Georgia doesnt count because they're woeful and had 13 men. I'm surprised because Schmidt had Leinster playing the most fluent attacking rugby of any Irish team I've seen in my lifetime.

That complaint aside, we're bubbling along nicely. Work to be done in the lineout.

Another argument could be South Africa coughed up more possession than they would in 3 matches and Australia must be scratching their heads how they lost that. I'm disappointed with some of Schmidt 's selections - Casey, Marmion and Olding and possibly McCloskey should have played more of a part.

On the whole though a very worthwhile Autumn series and we're in fine fettle. In a lot of ways, I'm glad we've stuff to work on than be on cloud 9 with no worries, will keep us grounded. Onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭eigrod

durkadurka wrote: »
    Joe has appendicitis apparently

Gone to hospital apparently. Get well soon Joe.

leakyboots wrote: »
    I'm disappointed with some of Schmidt 's selections - Casey, Marmion and Olding and possibly McCloskey should have played more of a part.

Bizarre. We have beaten SA and Aus. Casey has done little to merit jumping over Cronin, Strauss and Best. Olding and Marmion's time will come soon enough as they have been part of the extended squad. I'd rather the wins over giving game time to a few more players.

JS cannot really be questioned over his selections in all seriousness

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

Kepu, although not the best in the world, is severely underrated. McGrath on the other hand has huge potential and is learning.

"I'm disappointed with some of Schmidt 's selections - Casey, Marmion and Olding and possibly McCloskey should have played more of a part."
    Yeah, huge amount of proven internationals there that have shown their quality against a vast variety of top class opposition.

You are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I'm disappointed with some of Schmidt 's selections - Casey, Marmion and Olding and possibly McCloskey should have played more of a part.

Aaaand there it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Great games from the likes of Bowe, Kearney, POC, POM and Henshaw.

Good honest days work from McGrath, Heaslip, Ross, Ruddock, Zebo, Murray and Sexton

Poor by their standards Darcy, Best and Toner

Subs did their jobs, Madigan being the standout amongst them.

Overall happy to win against a very good Aussie team who will only improve under Cheika and with returning players.

Isnt it a great place to be that we feel we were not at our best yet are capable of beating a major SH nation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I think it was interesting that despite receiving a heavy blow to the head that Murray was sent back on. Reddan is a decent player, but obviously Joe wants Murray on the pitch for 80 minutes, especially in a game like today where he was tackling like a demon. Superb defensive effort from him.

Hope Sexton is okay, didn't look comfortable going off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Have never really been a fan of Kearney but he was fantastic today. Both in an attacking and defensive effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Aaaand there it is.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough - if you want to win the series, then yeah, job done. If you want half an eye on future development and a squad for the WC that's what I'm getting at. Theres a couple of areas where we could have experimented more. Did we learn anything by D'Arcy struggling through a couple of games trying to find form? Or a 34 year old Reddan v Georgia?

We have stuff to work on, to act like everything is dandy is foolish. I gave plenty of credit in the rest of my post

Edit: looking back that's pretty pathetic picking out one negative line by you

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kefflin

corny wrote: »

Wouldn't pick Darcy again. Honest as the day is long, good defender, rarely gets turned over but because he's static the majority of the time he receives the ball and our attack is suffering as a result. We have no answer when teams come up hard in defence against. Its been that way for a while now. We're crying out for a hard running 12 or someone who can spot a gap.

Love darcy but really feel olding could be a breath of fresh air in there,.
    There is a lot of rugby to be played between now and the six nations.
    It will be interest to see how we and other sides approach us as six nations champions coming off an unbeaten autumn test series. Exciting times for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

corny wrote: »
    Good result. We didn't play well really and offered very little in attack but we are a very awkward side to play against.

Positives? Really good defence in the second half and low error count when it mattered most (unlike the Welsh). The sequence of results and the effect it has on the group can't be understated.

Negatives? Kicked away too much ball. We have good fielders but we really overdid today. Didn't really grab the game as we should have in the first half.

Mcloskey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Interesting debate on possible center selections. Everybody is forgetting about Luke Marshall though. When fully fit he is the most promising center in Ireland in my opinion as he combines physicality and creativity better than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Did anyone else think Tommy Bowe looked a bit slow running in his try?? Not having a go or anything, just looked strange to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Let's not bemoan the squad selection decisions just after we've had a clean sweep in the Autumn Internationals and beaten two of the best sides in the world.

Think D'arcy firmly assured that he's no longer first choice 12. Have to start looking at Henshaw/Olding/Madigan for that slot. It's too early for Mc Closkey I think. Not that I don't think he isn't talented but there's a lot of flux in that Ulster midfield. Just 12 months ago everyone thought Marshall was nailed on for the jersey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

ambid wrote: »
    Interesting debate on possible center selections. Everybody is forgetting about Luke Marshall though. When fully fit he is the most promising center in Ireland in my opinion as he combines physicality and creativity better than most.

Pity he's goosed from concussions.

That said, as soon as I saw Quaid Cooper and Kurtley Beale come on I knew we had the game in the bag.

Those two are always a disaster waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement