Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Australia match thread, Saturday 22nd Nov. KO 4:30PM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Pity he's goosed from concussions.

That said, as soon as I saw Quaid Cooper and Kurtley Beale come on I knew we had the game in the bag.

Those two are always a disaster waiting to happen.

On their day they are two of the most dangerous attackers in the world. Cooper dragged Australia back into the France game last week.

Pity he's goosed from concussions.

That said, as soon as I saw Quaid Cooper and Kurtley Beale come on I knew we had the game in the bag.

Those two are always a disaster waiting to happen.

your right but it could be a disaster for either side they scare me lots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

ambid wrote: »
    Interesting debate on possible center selections. Everybody is forgetting about Luke Marshall though. When fully fit he is the most promising center in Ireland in my opinion as he combines physicality and creativity better than most.

He's third choice at Ulster. I like Marshall but playing for the Ravens isn't going to help his cause (plus he's injured so is running out of time for the rwc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

leakyboots wrote: »
    Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough - if you want to win the series, then yeah, job done. If you want half an eye on future development and a squad for the WC that's what I'm getting at. Theres a couple of areas where we could have experimented more. Did we learn anything by D'Arcy struggling through a couple of games trying to find form? Or a 34 year old Reddan v Georgia?

We have stuff to work on, to act like everything is dandy is foolish. I gave plenty of credit in the rest of my post

Edit: looking back that's pretty pathetic picking out one negative line by you

professional sport is a results business. Success breeds success. Criticising JS for his selections when he was down 15 players through injury is very difficult to understand. He made 13 changes last week. Not a whole lot more he could do

I agree about D'Arcy. I already posted about how I feel international rugby is beyond him but with Payne injured I think JS made a selection based on need against the best attacking backline in the world. I understand the need for player development but McGrath, Foley, Ruddock, Madigan, Henshaw, Zebo and Jones have all had a very positive impact and they are all fairly new to the international setup.

There is only so far you can push things along.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm very happy we've had so many errors today and defensive mishaps. In 2006 we hammered both Aus and SA. The difference here is both teams were fantastic but the 2006 team felt like it had peaked a year too early, this one feels like it has a lot of room to improve and work on yet still being great. "Yet to hit its ceiling" is probably the right term. Hopefully we can be even better come next year. Just like the 2012 Leinster was probably just a shade better than the 2011 one.

Today for me was a glimpse into what can be.

If the team stay injury free, and those returning join it, I imagine we will win the six nations and do well in the World Cup
    eigrod wrote: »
    Gone to hospital apparently. Get well soon Joe.

Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Stheno wrote: »
    Today for me was a glimpse into what can be.

If the team stay injury free, and those returning join it, I imagine we will win the six nations and do well in the World Cup

Seriously?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/no-celebrations-for-joe-schmidt-as-he-goes-to-hospital-suffering-from-appendicitis-30766150.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

S12b wrote: »
    Did anyone else think Tommy Bowe looked a bit slow running in his try?? Not having a go or anything, just looked strange to me!

When he first gathered the ball, all I could think of was his intercept in the rwc game back in Eden park with james o Conner running him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Did anyone else think Tommy Bowe looked a bit slow running in his try?? Not having a go or anything, just looked strange to me!

He'll never have the pace for international rugby- G Hook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

durkadurka wrote: »
    He'll never have the pace for international rugby- G Hook

Dumb luck has to run out sooner or later - N Francis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

When he first gathered the ball, all I could think of was his intercept in the rwc game back in Eden park with james o Conner running him down.

Horgan vs the Scarlets a few years ago too

http://youtu.be/eMCHj8I3GiY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Lucky me, I was there in the Aviva today. What a great match to have just as we're starting to think of the World Cup.

POC got MOTM, but it could have gone to the team rather than an idividual, but POC was immense. How did Mike Ross last the 80? Fair bloody play. Toner not great today, so Dave Foley got another chance. Back row worked non stop. Sexton....was he unwell, we were wondering? Missed the president's hand shake, and Kearney seemed concerned about him before kick off. But he had a good game, good but maybe not great, very inventive at times. Murray, great as always, and thank god he was able to come back on. D'Arcy and Henshaw had a difficulty time in defence, but Henshaw was excellent....D'Arcy either not match fit or just not up to the job. But Madigan, when he came on .....WOW! Wings both did well....two tries.

Ref was awful, needs to go to specsavers. Forward pass led to Foley try, no question IMO. Lots of off-the-ball stuff he just ignored. POM was going mad!

Great start, but very careless to let them back in in second quarter. Poor defence and just poor decisions. Obviously got a rollicking at half time, and just stepped up a gear. I was sure we would give away a score in the last few minutes, especially when we had two corpses on the ground, but the other 13 fought like cats.

Lots more I could say, but that'll do. For now.

Brilliant brilliant game. Thanks Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I will say one thing about D'Arcy, I don't think he played that well today but he always works so hard. How many times was the first player in support and does the unselfish thing and just clears out, hits the ruck? Quite a few.

At the same time, hard work alone isn't enough to keep you in a jersey, if your competitors are capable of doing the same thing and Madigan was very industrious when he came on. If Olding can mix that work rate with his distribution and eye for a gap, then he is the one. It's impossible to compare someone with BOD but if there is any back in Ireland who you could say is Bodesque, it's Olding. (And he doesn't even have to dye his hair like the young BOD did, his hair already stands out)

Was that Olding warming up with the team? It looked like him, and saw him talking to Diak just before kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Shades of Trevor Halstead against Leinster in 2006. Now there was a man with deceptive pace. It looked like he was moving slowly, when in actual fact he was moving very slowly. Poor Trev nearly died after running in that intercept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Aaaand there it is.
    leakyboots wrote: »

Edit: looking back that's pretty pathetic picking out one negative line by you

Mod: Both of you cop on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Delighted with the win. It wasn't pretty and we do seem to rely heavily on the kick chase which is a bit disappointing, however it was a tactic that helped us win the game so no complaints.

I have to say Henshaw is really looking the part, he is different to O'Driscoll and that's fine but he does what does very well. O'Mahony was everywhere and was possibly my man of the match. Murray and Sexton maybe didn't have their best days but it was still enough. When you consider the injuries and when you consider we weren't at the top of our game that makes the win all the more impressive.

Lots of courage on display too, potential concussion for three of our players which isn't nice but a sign that the lads were leaving nothing out there.

Australia look lethal behind the scrum though and will be a big threat come the WC, the question is can their pack compete with England. I think they'll see off Wales though. But a long way to go still.

Good times to be an Irish rugby fan.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Was that Olding warming up with the team? It looked like him, and saw him talking to Diak just before kick off.

Aye think I saw him on the TV warming up. Was he the 24th man then? That would have been a test on the old muscles if he was called up at the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I agree. He looked tight. Especially running in his interception try. But he made it though the game and played well, so all is well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

What a Game.

There was some shouting at the telly done today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Dumb luck has to run out sooner or later - N Francis

Ironically, that's quite apt for Neil's career as a rugby journalist!!

shaungil wrote: »
    Jaysus and breathe.
    Before the SA we were worried cos missing so many players. We win 3 from 3 and still aren't happy.

No we're not. Because when you're happy you don't make any progress. Do you think the AB's are 'happy' ? No. We made some massive mistakes but we also dug in and scrambled over the line. A very satisfying AI series but some major learning to do after that game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

The bosses of the provinces can't be happy after today.

A lot of walking wounded around

The best 100m sprinters in the world hit top speed inside 40m and are slowing down by 60m. Hard to be explosive and have speed endurance, I'd rather our wingers be explosive.

If you just want speed you can get the likes of Wade. Bowe has a bit of everything and enough speed to count at top level.

Piliger wrote: »
    I agree. He looked tight. Especially running in his interception try. But he made it though the game and played well, so all is well.

Ya, compared to that famous try against Wales for the Grand Slam where he left Shane Williams for dead, I thought he looked slow, like he had pulled something but hey, he go the job done and put in a good 80 minutes so it's a nothing point!!

Onwards and upwards, add Cian Healy (phoenix blood will have him back), Marty Moore, Iain Henderson, Chris Henry (things appear positive), Luke Fitz, McFadden, maybe Trimble.....the kinder side of the 6 nations draw.....and we could be in for a very exciting spring!!

Well I for one think Axel should give all his Irish contingent the week off next weekend...

A lot of really bad looking bodies at the end of the match, some of whom didn't appear for the celebrations.....Sexton, D'Arcy...Kearney? And Mike Ross will be wrecked.

Best didn't seem match fit, but put in a good effort all the same.

eigrod wrote: »

Yeah I'm not surprised, watching the post match interview and 2 out of 4 of us watching instantly thought he looked like he was either seriously stressed or sick. Joked about it at the time.

Seemed off, hope he is ok and credit that he stuck around to oversee the win. Players won't forget that either.

A lot of really bad looking bodies at the end of the match, some of whom didn't appear for the celebrations.....Sexton, D'Arcy...Kearney? And Mike Ross will be wrecked.

Best didn't seem match fit, but put in a good effort all the same.

Kearney and Best were there at the end iirf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Think he was pacing himself. No point trying to beat Usain Bolt's record when most of the game is still to be played.

Except Pat Lam, Rodney had a nice sit down for 80 minutes and Henshaw was one of the few backs still standing at the end!! :D

On a more serious note, 4 of our 7 backs (Murray, Sexton, Darcy, Kearney) took blows to the head today.....for all the talk about SA's physicality I thought today was one of the most ferocious games I've seen in a long time!!

I certainly have come away from these Autumn internationals feeling rather unworried about centre now. Henshaw is very impressive. Olding last week (and last night, albeit at full back) and Madigan was just incredible today....delighted for the guy.

Except Pat Lam, Rodney had a nice sit down for 80 minutes and Henshaw was one of the few backs still standing at the end!! :D

On a more serious note, 4 of our 7 backs (Murray, Sexton, Darcy, Kearney) took blows to the head today.....for all the talk about SA's physicality I thought today was one of the most ferocious games I've seen in a long time!!
    I remember watching the first fifteen minutes and thinking it was a terribly physical game

Ferocious, that's the word, particularly the second half.

And poor Australia have to do it all over again next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Swiwi. wrote: »
    My 2c

1) Great character and defence from Ireland, Aussie threw everything into that, well done!
    2) I think Ireland will need to offer more on attack for the future. I feel Darcy's time has come, outshone by Toomua who was Aussie's best player
    3) Fairplay to Mike Ross, 80 minutes of rugby, and the Irish scrum with a vital scrum penalty at the death

Not more else to say. Aussie will get better for sure, they are only just get going under Cheika, and they have a few to come back from injury, as do Ireland of course.

Last word to Ireland though, great result, and 2015 looks potentially very promising. Enjoy the night people!

Yeah if Aus were to win the game toomua would be my motm. Absolutely class and just burnt us on the outside every time he got the ball.

Oh yeah. And what showed today was how DESPERATE Australia were to win that game. They threw the kitchen sink and the garden furniture at us !

bilston wrote: »
    And poor Australia have to do it all over again next week!

Well, whoever said a while back that they think Ireland should play four autumn internationals might think again......I am just glad the we had Australia last of our three. And funny, I was expecting the SA match to be the most bruising.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah if Aus were to win the game toomua would be my motm. Absolutely class and just burnt us on the outside every time he got the ball.

Yeah Toomua was very good. All their backs showed some brillant touches but he was consistent throughout while the others were guilty of the odd error. I wonder whether the result would have been different if Khudhudrani (sp?) had stayed on.

Nice little photo this, Gordon Darcy visiting Marist College with a very young Robbie Henshaw at the front on the left with the ball!! No wonder Darcy has lost a yard of pace!! :D

B25knlxIIAAAxLh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭webels

This is after 78 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I hope Joe Schmidt gets well soon from his bout of appendicitis in hospital.

He is a legend in the sport of Rugby. We wish him all the best in his recovery.

Nice little photo this, Gordon Darcy visiting Marist College with a very young Robbie Henshaw at the front on the left with the ball!! No wonder Darcy has lost a yard of pace!! :D

B25knlxIIAAAxLh.jpg

That's class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

bilston wrote: »
    That's class.

Looks to be about 4th class ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Lucky me, I was there in the Aviva today. What a great match to have just as we're starting to think of the World Cup.

POC got MOTM, but it could have gone to the team rather than an idividual, but POC was immense. How did Mike Ross last the 80? Fair bloody play. Toner not great today, so Dave Foley got another chance. Back row worked non stop. Sexton....was he unwell, we were wondering? Missed the president's hand shake, and Kearney seemed concerned about him before kick off. But he had a good game, good but maybe not great, very inventive at times. Murray, great as always, and thank god he was able to come back on. D'Arcy and Henshaw had a difficulty time in defence, but Henshaw was excellent....D'Arcy either not match fit or just not up to the job. But Madigan, when he came on .....WOW! Wings both did well....two tries.

Ref was awful, needs to go to specsavers. Forward pass led to Foley try, no question IMO. Lots of off-the-ball stuff he just ignored. POM was going mad!

Great start, but very careless to let them back in in second quarter. Poor defence and just poor decisions. Obviously got a rollicking at half time, and just stepped up a gear. I was sure we would give away a score in the last few minutes, especially when we had two corpses on the ground, but the other 13 fought like cats.

Lots more I could say, but that'll do. For now.

Brilliant brilliant game. Thanks Ireland!

We won't be seeing referee Jackson or the TMO again any time soon. The Oz try was just the worst of many examples and some went our way too.
    Full marks to Schmidt for a complete change of tactics at the break. From 20-20 to 6-3 tells you a lot. We mixed it pretty well in the first half carnival and then won the wrestle (just) in the second 40.
    Lots to like; really impressed with Henshaw and the defence was good organisation and amazing commitment. That's a good Australian side so kudos all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Home still buzzing great day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

durkadurka wrote: »
    Horgan vs the Scarlets a few years ago too

http://youtu.be/eMCHj8I3GiY

Class intercept!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

So just in the door, few thoughts.

Thought it was a great result. The emotional out-poor from the crowd at the final whistle was something else. In typical Irish fashion you'd be forgiven for thinking we won the World Cup at the end.

We did win, but we played fairly poorly with ball in hand. To win against one of the big three by playing so poorly speaks volumes. We didn't stretch the legs today, but we certainly exorcised some demons - despite being under the hammer we stayed calm and relied on our defence.

We'll have loads to work on though. If we played like that in the WC I'd be skeptical about making a quarter let alone a semi. We definitely will welcome some of our more incisive players back like Healy, Fitzgerald and Trimble back.

Australia were awesome with ball in hand. Absolutely awesome. Although I'm still not sure if it was a case of our missed tackles making them look good or their passing game making us look poor. I suspect the latter. Their third try was the try of 2014/15 for me, will take a lot to beat.

Our midfield still has a question mark over it. I thought henshaw was class today. One of the best players on the pitch. Amazing for a guy who is really a bit of an unknown quantity. Who will play with him though? As a Darce fan it pains me to say he's bit out of his depth now. Solid but not cutting enough. A lot of people saying Madigan is the solution but I'm not convinced. I'd love to think its an option but personally I think I'd like to see Olding or a back in form Marshall there. Payne is still in the mix too.

I thought sexton had a mixed bag of a game, took the game to Australia and set the tone with zebos try but I felt he asked too much of his back three. Only Kearney really was willing to chase every ball he put up. Zebo and tommy looked a little disconnected I felt.

What was the craic with the tmo try? Thinking about it now I think we let a couple of soft ones in, their third try as i said was absolutely sublime and nothing we could really do about it once they broke out. I'd say if they tried that again one or two off those offloads wouldn't stick. But the first two tries were very soft. There was a very possible spanking on the hands there had a couple of decisions not gone against us. So something to think about anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement