Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Australia match thread, Saturday 22nd Nov. KO 4:30PM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

S12b wrote: »

And it shows!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So a friend of mine, massive rugby fan, became a dad for the second time today. His first child was born the day we beat Australia in the World Cup 3 years ago. Bonkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

keano_afc wrote: »
    So a friend of mine, massive rugby fan, became a dad for the second time today. His first child was born the day we beat Australia in the World Cup 3 years ago. Bonkers.

That's an odd choice of name for your first born?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Why cant the World Cup be right after the 6N when its played in the NH? Having it September plays right into the SH teams hands. Every time.

Game on SS2 now again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Something I completely forgot - Simon Easterby take a bow, unsung hero so far. We're in good hands on that front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Why cant the World Cup be right after the 6N when its played in the NH? Having it September plays right into the SH teams hands. Every time.
    When would you play it?
    European competitons/domestic competitions still being played and near conclusion. Its the best time of year for the competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

When would you play it?
    European competitons/domestic competitions still being played and near conclusion. Its the best time of year for the competition

Pretty sure it was played in June in 1995. Not sure if that would suit us better than the SH as you'd think our players would be knackered. There are pros and cons with either scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Anyone have any ideas as to why (bar once I think) we didn't use the maul off our lineouts?

Personally, thought Ruddock again was immense.

As for the 2nd Aussie try. The ball was IMHO clearly played forward from the hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

keano_afc wrote: »

The one born in 2011 is named Declan, the one born today is named Joe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

what did people think of the ref today. As the new 'fast tracked' ref, I expected better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

aimee1 wrote: »
    what did people think of the ref today. As the new 'fast tracked' ref, I expected better

He was poor. If Nigel is in the stadium, Nigel needs to ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Teferi wrote: »
    The one born in 2011 is named Declan, the one born today is named Joe?

First was a girl, a boy today. I'm sure he's considering it. His mrs must be dreading the next game against the Aussies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Ah I understand the need to use Nigel to help new referees.

Very poor at the breakdown. I felt aussie players coming in from the side on numerous occasions.

What is this bulls*** that we can't hear the TMO? It's the IRB not FIFA!

bilston wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was played in June in 1995. Not sure if that would suit us better than the SH as you'd think our players would be knackered. There are pros and cons with either scenario.
    Different time though. Game gone pro since and quite different especially with rise/influence of non union clubs
    No he doesn't. He wasn't poor, not great either but Nigel doesn't have to referee every game if in the stadium. You have to trust other officials. Nigel will be there for games as excellent support to other referees. Same as Rolland as TJ at times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

What is this bulls*** that we can't hear the TMO? It's the IRB not FIFA!

Ya, what's the rationale behind that move?

Not a lot. Australians off their feet a lot, and seemed to get away with it. Some off the ball stuff he didn't see. And then there was that forward pass before the second try. Not impressed and hope we don't see him again in these parts for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

So I disagree with RTE's graphics at half time that were supposed to prove that Foley's try wasn't from a forward pass.
    I did my own little bit of analysis here: http://imgur.com/a/nERJL

It's obviously not perfect because we don't have a static overhead camera, but I think RTE made the mistake of putting the perspective line at the end of the ruck rather than where the pass was from.

• Advertisement

Different time though. Game gone pro since and quite different especially with rise/influence of non union clubs
    No he doesn't. He wasn't poor, not great either but Nigel doesn't have to referee every game if in the stadium. You have to trust other officials. Nigel will be there for games as excellent support to other referees. Same as Rolland as TJ at times...

He was poor. He reffed the breakdown badly and the scrum too. I'm not claiming bias, he was awful all round. He pinged Australia for invisible infringements at some points. He totally ignored illegal scrummaging on the Australian side. I don't think anything needs to be said about the non-try.

B0X wrote: »
    So I disagree with RTE's graphics at half time that were supposed to prove that Foley's try wasn't from a forward pass.

It's obviously not perfect because we don't have a static overhead camera, but I think RTE made the mistake of putting the perspective line at the end of the ruck rather than where the pass was from.

I said it at the time O'Shea's line drawing was arseways. Thanks for confirming :)

B0X wrote: »

It's the direction of the hands which counts which are 100% pointing forward.

The yellow line in photo 3 is irrelevant.

Majority of the time the ball travels forward in a pass despite the fact that the hands throw back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Majority of the time the ball travels forward in a pass despite the fact that the hands throw back.

Not if the passer is standing still.

durkadurka wrote: »
    Not if the passer is standing still.

In this case - and clearly in photo 1 - hands are pointing forward thus forward pass.

In this case - and clearly in photo 1 - hands are pointing forward thus forward pass.

If the passer is standing still and it travels forward then it's a forward pass in my view .

I agree it was forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Was there many spare tickets around the Aviva for this today. I was thinking of going but didn't know if I would get a ticket around the aviva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Only when the passing player is running forward. When a static player passes it travels in the direction of the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Who were the '5 players we can't do without' the RTE panel were talking about after the game - anyone know?

I'm guessing Murray, Sexton, O'Connell, Mike Ross and Heaslip?

He was poor. He reffed the breakdown badly and the scrum too. I'm not claiming bias, he was awful all round. He pinged Australia for invisible infringements at some points. He totally ignored illegal scrummaging on the Australian side. I don't think anything needs to be said about the non-try.
    He didn't referee breakdown badly. It was his interpretation(not one id ever use in a game) but he was consistent. He cant see everything at the scrum, the TJs have to come into discussion at scrum time

Who were the '5 players we can't do without' the RTE panel were talking about after the game - anyone know?

I would add Rob Kearney to that list too. Ireland just look so much better with him in the team.

• Advertisement

kala85 wrote: »
    Was there many spare tickets around the Aviva for this today. I was thinking of going but didn't know if I would get a ticket around the aviva

Nope. Funny, I had a spare ticket for a few hours before lunch, so thought I would be looking for a genuine buyer, but a friend of a friend bought (and apprecieated)......but for once, I was watching for buyers and sellers on my way in. Very quiet, but I reckoned Beggars Bush would be the best place to buy/sell.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I would add Rob Kearney to that list too. Ireland just look so much better with him in the team.
    Disagree. While we do look that bit better with him in the team. Kearney out of a game isn't Sexton/POC/Murray/Ross being out

Watching it again here. Sexton wasn't there for the meet Michael D bit. Wonder what the story was?

Disagree. While we do look that bit better with him in the team. Kearney out of a game isn't Sexton/POC/Murray/Ross being out

And Heaslip of course.

durkadurka wrote: »
    Watching it again here. Sexton wasn't there for the meet Michael D bit. Wonder what the story was?

He ran out down the tunnel just as they lined up, ran back in after Michael D had done his circuit, pulling on shorts. Someone beside me noticed he then looked very flushed in the face, turned and bent over; Kearney looked concerned. We assumed he wasn't well, and while it wasn't his best game, he didn't play like a guy who wasn't in decent health.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/ireland-edge-mammoth-match-up-with-australia-1.2011925

Here's five minutes of Gerry Thornley and Liam Toland shouting over each other immediately after the final whistle...

In some ways it's bull though, if Healy and SOB had played they'd have been mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Watching the game on rte. Had to laugh at Joe's quip at the end of the game.

"What are you going to do next Joe? Will you win the six nations?"

"Ha. I think I just have to survive the night first".

.... Then he goes straight to hospital! I bet nobody knew what he was talking about.

Anyway hope he's okay. He's some man for one man, in pain all day apparently.

I assumed he was dreading a monster p1ss up!
    Hope he's ok- I'm sure nows a good time to rest up for a couple of weeks if he has to have the appendix out.

Maybe. But I honestly think he was just dying and making a joke out of it, ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

good win but i think we wont win the 6 nations next year and i fancy us to finish 2nd in our group in the world cup and lose to the all blacks in the qf.

Italy will be no pushovers in the 6 nations and the world cup

Imagine winning the world cup, the country should shut down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

PTH2009 wrote: »
    good win but i think we wont win the 6 nations next year and i fancy us to finish 2nd in our group in the world cup and lose to the all blacks in the qf.

Italy will be no pushovers in the 6 nations and the world cup

Imagine winning the world cup, the country should shut down

Can't tell if you're taking the piss, but if not it's close to the most pessimistic post I've seen on an Irish thread in a long time. With very little evidence to support any claim in it.
    Let's assume you are taking the piss!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Delighted with that result. Showed some serious character in that second half. But we need to acknowledge our attacking limitations. Some points to note:

Some serious off the ball stuff from Oz. Not dirty, just running good blocking lines or simple obstructions that they got away with constantly. Made this a really difficult for us at times.

Their line speed was awesome.

When they had ball in hand they tended to flood the contact area with numbers meaning we never knew who was getting the ball. They made hay with that a bit.

Our kicking game was poor. Sexton didn't look good pre game and the mention earlier of him heading back into the changing room after the anthems suggests this may be the case. Add to that the Aussie obstructions and our kicking game was getting us nowhere.

Our defensive line speed was poor.

Zebo is a constant here. Thought he mixed the good with the bad. That needless offload when a simple give and take was all that was required was terrible, but he gave away a moronic penalty shortly after by simply jumping on a ruck. His speed off the line was good but he didn't fully complete a good few tackles. Yet other times he made his hits and chased well. He took his try well too. But he can have no complaints if he isn't in the 23 in the 6 Nations. He's done little to force himself ahead of Trimble or Bowe and if Earls or Fitz are fit he'll be behind them too.

Darce was poor in attack for the second week running. The only thing stopping me saying he is done is the fact that we've said it before. But we really need more creativity in the centre. We seem lost without it.

And finally POC is an absolute hero. There is no other word for him. An absolute hero.

Will watch the game back tomorrow and might have some more meaningful feedback then but we've had a great 12 months so far. Onwards and upwards from here.

It may be pessimistic, but there's a lot of over the top optimism going around now too. It was a clean sweep, fair enough, but we played fairly poorly for the majority of the games.

If we can improve on those areas of the game we'll be serious contenders for the 6n, absolutely. If we can best France twice on the hop no reason we can't beat them in the RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    It may be pessimistic, but there's a lot of over the top optimism going around now too. It was a clean sweep, fair enough, but we played fairly poorly for the majority of the games.

If we can improve on those areas of the game we'll be serious contenders for the 6n, absolutely. If we can best France twice on the hop no reason we can't beat them in the RWC

Against the Boks we were very smart. Against Georgia we were very disjointed. Only today could be classed as disappointing really. And we still won. Yeah there's a lot of work ons but there's a lot to be pleased about too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

molloyjh wrote: »

Zebo is a constant here. Thought he mixed the good with the bad. That needless offload when a simple give and take was all that was required was terrible, but he gave away a moronic penalty shortly after by simply jumping on a ruck. His speed off the line was good but he didn't fully complete a good few tackles. Yet other times he made his hits and chased well. He took his try well too. But he can have no complaints if he isn't in the 23 in the 6 Nations. He's done little to force himself ahead of Trimble or Bowe and if Earls or Fitz are fit he'll be behind them too.

If you look at that offload again, you will see that Sexton called for it (if he got it, it would have been a clear run in for him).

Who really was at fault there was Best, Toner & Kearney for not making the tackle and from listening to a story on 'The Business' about Joe Schmidt at Leinster, those are the guys who will be hearing about it. (They told a story about Gordon D'Arcy throwing a poor pass - Schmidt had a go at BOD for not getting it anyway).

Zebo was top tackler in the backs making some good decisions and hit rucks all day long. What more do you want him to do. Play in the front row as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Suprising playing both props for 80 mins. Modern game demands fresh legs after 60 mins. Thought Sexton & Murray were both well below their high standards, high kicking to Oz back 3 was madness (food and drink to those guys)- Schmidt got this wrong in his tactics.

Kearney was poor in defense-good in offense, tacking let him down again and cost us a try.

Toner was very poor, way off the pace and bullied at the breakdown.

Ruddock is never a 7, Hopper was a mug of our BR, sooner SOB is back the better because Ruddock is nowhere near good enough for international 7.

All my negatives above, fantastic guts from team, won against a much improving Oz team when we didn't play our best game.
    Henshaw was v-good, POC was incredible. Can't see us losing at home this year v Eng or France. GS is on if we can beat Wales away but we will need POC, Sexton fit to win that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

.ak wrote: »

Did we play poorly or did we just play a simple conservative game plan which perhaps didn't look as impressive as Australia i.e kick the bejaysus off the ball?? I agree we showed very little out wide but that doesn't necessarily mean we were poor.

Missed tackles are the poorest part of our play at the moment.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Missed tackles are the poorest part of our play at the moment.

They weren't an issue against SA if I remember correctly? I think we needed to pull out of the rucks sooner then we did today. That's my only criticism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement