Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manny Pacquiao vs Chris Algieri - Nov 22nd - Venetian Macao

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

walshb wrote: »
    Very unimpressed with Algieri. In there to survive. Never offered anything of substance.

I expected more from him too. He hardly committed to a right hand all night.

For any of you that didn't see the HBO broadcast, this is gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Lomachenko impressed me a lot more than previous. He was very offensive. His feet and movement are magician like. Never seen anything like it. Unreal.

The opponent wasn't all that good, but still very game. Lomachenko must have covered 2-3 miles in that fight? That requires serious legs and a very good engine. As for his power: I think it's quite good when he sets himself and connects. It's enough to hurt you and back you up. I Want to see him in against Waters or Rigo soon. Let's see these fights....

Oh, throw in Donaire. Would love to see that. If Donaire lands clean with that left hook?

Lomachenko impressed me a lot more than previous. He was very offensive. His fet and movement are magician like. Never seen anything like it. Unreal.

The opponent wasn't all that good, but still very game. Lomachenko must have covered 2-3 miles in that fight? That requires serious legs and a very goo engine. As for his power: I think it's quite good when he sets himself and connects. It's enough to hurt you and back you up. I Want to see him in against Waters or Rigo soon. Let's see these fights....

Oh, throw in Donaire. Would love to see that. If Donaire lands clean with that left hook? l

Lomachenko's footwork is simply incredible. His speed of thought and movement is like nothing you're used to watching. It's like the tape is sped up at times.

I would like to see him go towards an opponent and drive them back more often though. He expends a huge amount of energy circling his opponent when at times it would be nice to see him step to them a bit more.

Great to watch all the same. A joy to see a masterful boxer who wants to make a fight and not prevent one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

the fights are fixed

many has a few more wins until they find some one else

from a review

for a number of years now, the majority of boxing PPVs have been sold on the name value of just one of the night's combatants. Whether Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather, the reason to watch has as of late been to see one of the sport's best in actions - who stands across the ring is many times a mere formality. This Saturday's HBO Boxing PPV absolutely fits into that mold.

Pacquiao vs. Algieri features pound for pound great Manny Pacquiao taking on Chris Algieri - one of the least known boxers to get the PPV treatment in quite some time. Casual fans have never heard of him, and even decently devoted boxing fans did not have him on their radars 6 months ago. And so, for the casual fans in particular, there's an important question to ask here:
    Does Chris Algieri have a shot against Manny Pacquiao?

Ask the surprisingly candid Freddie Roach, world famous trainer to Pacquiao, and the answer is a resounding no. Roach has emphatically stated that Pacquiao is simply a class above, and that Algieri has no idea what he's getting into Saturday night in Macao. This has been echoed by most experts and fighters who have weighed in. Ruslan Provodnikov things Algieri needs to "run and hide"; Timothy Bradley somewhat more diplomatically think Algieri might give Pacquiao a little trouble, but the legend will adjust and take the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

braddun wrote: »
    the fights are fixed

many has a few more wins until they find some one else

from a review

for a number of years now, the majority of boxing PPVs have been sold on the name value of just one of the night's combatants. Whether Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather, the reason to watch has as of late been to see one of the sport's best in actions - who stands across the ring is many times a mere formality. This Saturday's HBO Boxing PPV absolutely fits into that mold.

Pacquiao vs. Algieri features pound for pound great Manny Pacquiao taking on Chris Algieri - one of the least known boxers to get the PPV treatment in quite some time. Casual fans have never heard of him, and even decently devoted boxing fans did not have him on their radars 6 months ago. And so, for the casual fans in particular, there's an important question to ask here:
    Does Chris Algieri have a shot against Manny Pacquiao?

Ask the surprisingly candid Freddie Roach, world famous trainer to Pacquiao, and the answer is a resounding no. Roach has emphatically stated that Pacquiao is simply a class above, and that Algieri has no idea what he's getting into Saturday night in Macao. This has been echoed by most experts and fighters who have weighed in. Ruslan Provodnikov things Algieri needs to "run and hide"; Timothy Bradley somewhat more diplomatically think Algieri might give Pacquiao a little trouble, but the legend will adjust and take the fight.

So, if one competitor is a lot better than the other, that means the event is fixed?

Then...
    All Usain Bolt's races are fixed.
    All Kilkenny hurling games are fixed.
    All All-Blacks rugby games are fixed.
    etc. etc.

Yaaaaaaaawwwwnnnn.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Watched the Lomachenko fight this morning. My god, he just keeps on getting better. Would love to see him and Walters fight

titan18 wrote: »
    Watched the Lomachenko fight this morning. My god, he just keeps on getting better. Would love to see him and Walters fight

Big time. Lomachenko has definitely improved. His jab was amazing. So fast and fluid, and good pop. So much to praise. What stands out for me is something "minor". Maybe others can see it too, but when he is moving away and "fleeing" he has an extraordinary ability to do it whilst also keeping his hands very tight and high. That is an extremely difficult this to do, as your arms and hands are so needed when moving.

His engine and output have improved, and his shot variation has improved. Loving this "new" and more assertive Lomacahenko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Big time. Lomachenko has definitely improved. His jab was amazing. So fast and fluid, and good pop. So much to praise. What stands out for me is something "minor". Maybe others can see it too, but when he is moving away and "fleeing" he has an extraordinary ability to do it whilst also keeping his hands very tight and high. That is an extremely difficult this to do, as your arms and hands are so needed when moving.

His engine and output have improved, and his shot variation has improved. Loving this "new" and more assertive Lomacahenko.

I think his technical ability could be greatly underrated by many fans. I can't remember ever seeing another boxer with such amazing skill. He uses his footwork & movement not only to evade attack, but also to deliver punches from crazy angles. His opponent's head was being snapped back continuously despite having their gloves up in a reasonably good defensive position.

I was getting pissed off with the commentary the last night. They were criticizing Lomachenko for circling too much. Why on earth would he want to plant his feet in front of a durable, tough opponent trade blows when he has such supreme footwork & gas tank.

• Advertisement

One question I would ask is was he moving so much because he had to, or did he choose to want to keep away? Was the dude stronger than him? I don't think it's clear cut. I think Lomachenko maybe could have moved a lot less and maybe been the aggressor that bit more. He has a decent inside game, but seems reluctant to use it.

boxer.fan wrote: »
    I think his technical ability could be greatly underrated by many fans. I can't remember ever seeing another boxer with such amazing skill. He uses his footwork & movement not only to evade attack, but also to deliver punches from crazy angles. His opponent's head was being snapped back continuously despite having their gloves up in a reasonably good defensive position.

I was getting pissed off with the commentary the last night. They were criticizing Lomachenko for circling too much. Why on earth would he want to plant his feet in front of a durable, tough opponent trade blows when he has such supreme footwork & gas tank.

To show he can do it. There's a difference between a guy circling and pot-shotting because he wants to and a guy circling and pot-shotting because he hasn't the physical power to push an opponent back.

In the Salido fight, all Lomachenko's pot-shotting amounted to little for much of the fight. Where he was most effective was when he stepped in, sat down on his shots, and stood Salido up with punches that had something on them.

With the Walters fight in mind, people are wondering if Lomachenko has the physical strength to stand up to this guy. Stepping to his opponent and drilling him with hard shots is a way to convince people that he has. Constant movement makes people think that maybe he hasn't. That maybe a strong guy like Walters will bully him.

I was surprised that Manny didn't switch off against Algieri, who was so boring and negative.

I didn't realise that Vasyl was so busy. Over 1000 punches thrown.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/view.php?pg=lomachenko-piriyapinyo-compubox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I was surprised that Manny didn't switch off against Algieri, who was so boring and negative.

Algieri's corner men have got to take a look at themselves after that fight. Did they really expect to give Manny the first half dozen rounds & expect their man to step up & blow him away in the later rounds? Crazy stuff altogether.

Advertisement