Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Uniform

Options
  • 21-11-2014 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have been working in an office for two years full time 5 days a week, they now want me to start wearing a uniform. They want the uniform to match that of the retail staff who work on the sales floor so that they can ask me to help out in that department on a regular basis and that I will look the part. I feel that by putting me in the uniform they are trying to change my role slowly to a more retail sales job than admin job which is not the role I am contracted for. Can I say no to the uniform. Also just to note I have probably spent 300euro a year on office suits that will no longer be of any use if they make me wear a uniform...advice Please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

LilyHeart wrote: »
    I have been working in an office for two years full time 5 days a week, they now want me to start wearing a uniform. They want the uniform to match that of the retail staff who work on the sales floor so that they can ask me to help out in that department on a regular basis and that I will look the part. I feel that by putting me in the uniform they are trying to change my role slowly to a more retail sales job than admin job which is not the role I am contracted for. Can I say no to the uniform. Also just to note I have probably spent 300euro a year on office suits that will no longer be of any use if they make me wear a uniform...advice Please?

If they no longer need you in the office, is there a risk of making you redundant?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's the job situation where you live - how easily can you get another admin job?

Do you already have retail skills, or will learning these make you more employable overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It would easily be seen as unreasonable not to help out when asked - are they providing the uniform ??

The €300 won't be wasted if they provide a uniform and you're clothes are not worn, they'll be good for a while..

Could you agree to take the uniform and then change into it if you're going front of house ??

Advertisement