Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aborting a Down Syndrome Twin at full term.

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

bear1 wrote: »
    This is an abomination of a thread. Can't believe it's still going on frankly.
    It should be aborted, due to its defectiveness and inconvenience. Although at least the tax-payer doesn't have to contribute towards it.
    You still attempted to make it look my whole argument was about money.
    Not your whole argument, but a good chunk of it, and really that speaks for itself.
    What's you point?
    Thought it was obvious - you telling me I'm cherrypicking = pot calling kettle black seeing as you cherrypicked yourself.
    Aborting a child because of serious health complications is "selfish". Really? Do you even know what selfish means?
    I was referring to your description of people who have disabled children as selfish being quite ironic given your concern with the money aspect.
    If my girlfriend's/wife's foetus was diagnosed with DS, I would abort
    You can't truly know until you're in the situation. What if your partner didn't want to have a termination?
    Well, if you think gambling with a child's health is a difficult decision, then I guess I'm just a classier person than you are.
    That sentence (if not a wind-up but I suspect it is) reveals a hell of a lot as to your character.

As I said, I don't think I could have a disabled child, and would consider abortion if I knew. I am not being a critic of those who do so. But it's still too complex and subjective and individualised a situation to be so absolutist about. I wonder would you tell the parents who have a happy DS child (e.g. I know a couple whose DS son has the "milder" end of it - for want of a better phrase - and he is a contented, sunny-natured, adored little boy) that they're cruel and selfish and putting a strain on the tax-payer? Course you wouldn't.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Nodin wrote: »
    From a Doctor that acted outside the law and was prosecuted for same.

Why are you trying to smear all Doctors with the same brush?

I'm really not. The serial-killer abortionist who killed these infants instantly arguably acted more humanely than this NY abortion clinic who seemingly act within the law. http://nypost.com/2013/04/28/the-truth-about-late-term-abortion/
    In an exchange laden with euphemisms on both sides to conceal the gruesome nature of the discussion, the pregnant woman wondered aloud what would happen if “it” (her fetus) emerged from her intact and alive.

The employee assigned to take note of medical history reassured the woman, “We never had that for ages” (a seeming admission that a baby did survive abortion at the clinic at least once) but that should “it” “survive this,” “They would still have to put it in like a jar, a container, with solution, and send it to the lab. . . . We don’t just throw it out in the garbage.”
    Oh, and this innocuous-sounding “solution” was, of course, a toxic substance suitable for killing an infant.
    “Like, what if it was twitching?” asked the pregnant woman.
    “The solution will make it stop,” said the clinic employee. “That’s the whole purpose of the solution . . . It will automatically stop. It won’t be able to breathe anymore.”
    As for any qualms a woman might have about seeing her newborn child being poisoned and drowned in a jar, the employee advised her “patient” not to worry: She’d be under sedation, and the murder would take place in another room anyway.
    After the pregnant woman pressed the employee at the Bronx establishment, “If it’s twitching or breathing or something, like whatever showing signs of life or something, I’m not gonna have to, they’re not gonna be like you have to take this home like,” the employee replied, “No! No!”
    The employee also advised the pregnant woman to murder her child should the infant unexpectedly be born at home.
    “I don’t want to like go into labor at home,” the pregnant woman said. “Like what if it like pops out, like, at home?”

“If it comes out then it comes out. Flush it!” said the employee.
    Should the child be born on the floor? “We’ll tell you to put it in a bag or something and bring it to us,” the employee advised.

I tell you what, you tell me the both the legal and moral method used by UK doctors to end the life of a new born infant in the UK who is still fighting for his/her life despite the best attempts to end it.

You are the abortionist. You have just failed to end the life of this twitching infant.

Warning - Potentially upsetting (though I don't believe it is actually post-abortion)
    [MOD SNIP]

How do you morally and ethically finish the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

volchitsa wrote: »
    Of course in Ireland they actually don't choose, that choice is made for them.
    So while that may be true for people who could have aborted but didn't, it isn't relevant in a country where abortion isn't a choice.
    That may be why there is apparently no problem in Ireland withdrawing medical cards for example from such parents, since they might have chosen not to be unselfish. If they had had the possibility.

That is no longer the case re: abortion, and never was the case with regard to fostering/adoption.

Hence, my assertion that parents who choose to care for children with disabilities are wonderful, caring, unselfish human beings remains valid - despite your begrudging them the praise they so richly deserve.
    Nor is the (shameful) withdrawal of medical cards from these parents relevant to the disgusting allegation that they are selfish or cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm really not. ...........

Yes, you really are. Why?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

opiniated wrote: »
    Since I have no details on the condition of the baby, neither do you.
    Yet you can infer the above, without said details. Agenda much?

I've made no moral judgment of the case, merely provided you with a potential scenario of what may have happened. Without the details of what happened you are the one jumping to conclusions by declaring it horrendous without any good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Brown Bomber - At this point I seriously believe you are trying to play on peoples emotions. Posting a video of an aborted child, are you serious??
    That is not only disturbing but a Mod posted a few pages back about having lost 2 children and you post this utter crap on a forum?
    Why in the name of fcuk would you post that and then give the warning that you don't actually think it's post-abortion??
    I'll repeat this again, this thread is an utter disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Trolling, baiting, soapboxing and NSFW content. I think we're done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement