Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Market Food

Options
  • 21-11-2014 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi guys

Am a big fan of the food stalls in the market but I tend to go to the same 2 all the time, I go for either the pea and potato curry or the falafel.

I am a huge fan of the falafel and it's easily the best i've ever tasted.

Just wanted to hear peoples thoughts on the other stalls and have you any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Boerie rolls are definitely worth a try. With all the toppings.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There were some interesting / different food stalls at the new Castlegar market when I visited last Saturday.

https://www.facebook.com/castlegarmarket

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

My annual (vitally important) question.

Is the Corn dog stall there?

Coz if it ain't, they may take down all those tents and stalls again, and all the other frippery, and the whole lot can pack up and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Lapin wrote: »
    My annual (vitally important) question.

Is the Corn dog stall there?

Coz if it ain't, they may take down all those tents and stalls again, and all the other frippery, and the whole lot can pack up and move on.

I'm guessing the OP is talking about the weekend market, and not the xmas market ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alimegs

sorry yes, should have clarified that, the weekend market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

the stuffed crepes can be good, if you're into that kind of thing. unfortunately there's not a whole lot else to choose from that i can think of.

i'd usually get some hummus from the stand located around the entrance to the church, some fresh salads from the veg stall, then maybe some good cheese (there's a particular one with cumin seed i crave now just thinking about), a big ciabatta and various bits and bobs (olives/anchovies/sundried tomatoes etc).. go home and have a party ;)

galway is really crying out for a bigger market in the city centre area it's a real shame it hasn't been allowed to expand. as nice as the german market can be this time of year i would prefer to see larger markets like that supporting our local farmers/entrepreneurs and produce on a more permanent basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Govinda's has nice food (samosas and the like) and the Indian guy (the stall says something like "vegetarian food" and is green and white) has really good Indian food for decent prices. I go to him whenever I can, though it's been a while since I've been able to make it in. I hope he's still there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Govinda's has nice food (samosas and the like) and the Indian guy (the stall says something like "vegetarian food" and is green and white) has really good Indian food for decent prices. I go to him whenever I can, though it's been a while since I've been able to make it in. I hope he's still there.

Oh, he's still there :D his stall is the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alimegs

have never tried him I do know where his stall is though. Its usually right beside the boerie roll stand.

Have to say I find it hard to pass the falafel but the queue's these days are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

alimegs wrote: »
    Hi guys

Am a big fan of the food stalls in the market but I tend to go to the same 2 all the time, I go for either the pea and potato curry or the falafel.

I am a huge fan of the falafel and it's easily the best i've ever tasted.

Just wanted to hear peoples thoughts on the other stalls and have you any recommendations?

The pea and potato curry is amazing. One stand does sushi which is nice.

Bought a chocolate spelt and apple cake last week from one stand. It was divine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭djerk

+1 for the potato and pea curry

matar paneer from govindas is very tasty too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Falafel!! Yum yum yum

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the doughnuts. Fab, fab, fab. We travel from Meath the Galway at least 3 times a year to Boychic(sp?), will be down to galway next week for 10th wedding anniversary and will be getting our bag of doughnuts!

Advertisement