Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OP of a P/T-OTD close their account Feedback Query

Options
  • 21-11-2014 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Good Morning,

I'd like some feedback if I may on the Posts & Threads -of-the-Day and what happens when, type scenario ...

Some weeks back a post made post-of-the-day that I can link to if necessary, but the thread in general created made so much heat for the op that they closed their account.

Now today, I see it has happened again, in the op closing their account as a result of the replies and general increase in attention from being made thread-of-the-day here (big assumption I know that that's were the increase is stemming from) but could also be from the title of 'Miserable Git' too.

In relation to the first POTD scenario, I reported the thread in question once I saw the op had closed the account; but not yet reported this thread eventhough the op has closed their account.

Just general feedback please on standard procedure/protocol for scenarios like these: The OP created a thread; has received extra attention from being P/T-OTD; the OP has decided for whatever reason to close their accounts; should the threads remain open with the op being commented on etc and not being able to respond or explain further?

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd guess it depends a bit on the topic in the first place. Using Work & Jobs as an example where this happens every so often; if the post was "Am I treated unfairly due to X?" then closing the post with OP closing account is most likely going to be appropriate as discussion would be centered on the OP's situation. On the other hand if the question was "How is it work for <insert big company>?" I'd be inclined to leave it open because that's a more generic question that even if OP has closed their account is relevant in a wider scenario and the OP is not needed to keep the topic going so to speak.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The OP(s) closing their account and the thread itself are two distinct things.

If the thread has issues that require moderating, they should be dealt with - or it should be closed if it gets out of hand. This is regardless of whether or not the OP is still around. I don't see how the OP closing their account changes the thread in any way.

This would only be an issue if the OP closed their account due to abuse or whatnot which continued because of a failure in moderation. Was this the case here?

Of course, we're sorry to see anyone close their account, but people have to stand by what they post whether they get 2 responses or 2,000. People need to remember that Boards is a public forum and if you can't take a certain amount of heat for something you post then certain types of posts (and forums) are best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

^^^ Thanks guys. This is the very reason why I like feedback threads.

Great, succinct replies there. Clarifies my queries.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Today's thread in question fell under one of the forums that I moderate, we had been monitoring the thread and our view on it was this:

The OP asked a specific question about his actions, and every response expressed in the thread was to tell the OP that he was in the wrong in his line of thinking. We let the thread run because for the forum in question, none of the responses came anywhere near being infractable, and when you ask for an opinion, you have to own the fact that you asked for an honest response, even if those responses aren't the answer that you want to hear. If that was a lapse in moderation on our part than I am certainly open to correction - but we felt it best to get the thread run its course.

My personal opinion is that the OP closing their account has less to do with the fact that the thread became thread of the day, and more to do with the fact that he asked if he was in the wrong in how he had planned to treat a casual labourer, and got a unanimous response to say that yes, he was, and unfortunately, wasn't able to deal with that answer.

edit: Just to note that as soon as we became aware this morning that the OP had closed his account, the thread was locked.

Advertisement