Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commision sales

Options
  • 21-11-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the retail outlets sales people get commision for selling a specific phone? I recently decided to move from 3 pay as you go to bill pay. The HTC phone I was sold has been a disaster. With the benefit of hindsight I realised the salesman never even discussed any other makes with me but just whipped out a HTC from his pocket claiming he used them personally because they were so good. I had wanted one with really good photo features and was assured this phone would meet those requirements. It doesn't and has a myriad of other problems which resulted in it being sent for repair and after all that it is just getting worse.

With the various visits I have made to the shop I have observed sale staff using the same sales patter for precisely the same phone on any other customer in the shop so I now suspect that they are getting commission rather than advising on the best phone for a specific customer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Carphone Warehouse are 'impartial' and don't receive benefits, per se, but they do get incentives for promoting certain networks and phones.
    Most network shops don't receive commission for pushing a phone, but they might have an overall preference or leaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

Carphone Warehouse are 'impartial' and don't receive benefits, per se, but they do get incentives for promoting certain networks and phones.
    Most network shops don't receive commission for pushing a phone, but they might have an overall preference or leaning.

So carphone warehouse don't get commission but do get incentives? Is that not the same thing? And are you sure the likes of 3 outlets don't get incentives for specific phones? Seems a hell of a coincidence to me that different staff recommend the same phone to different customers. I've sent an email to comreg to ask about this issue. Customers should have the right to be told if something as expensive and long term contract binding as a smartphone is being incentivised. If comreg get back to me I'll let people know what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

As far as I know it is a commission based position, and it shouldn't be brand specific, if anything they might push the more expensive phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Sometimes a manufacturer may run an incentive where the leading store of HTC sales in Ireland will win a week in Ibiza or a playstation and a 50" TV, this may be the reason why the staff in that store you visited where very HTC centric.

Advertisement